Windows 7

On my next reformat, is it as simple as installing windows 7 then.

Are there any potential issue with my machine accepting it or current programs running with Windows 7

shouldn’t be a problem, i’m running cracked win 7

Nothing I can think of. If you upgrade to a 64 bit version (which is advisable if you have 4GB of ram or more), some default drivers will not be compatible, but it is as simple as downloading the correct versions and installing. You will experience that with printer and wireless adapter drivers mostly.

It’s a good OS though, best that MS has ever released, I recommend installing it.

i would have to refomat to do it though? I assume you cant load it over XP

also what is the BIG advantage over 32 to 64

use more ram, plus 64 win7 is the gamers standard now

If you use 32 bit windows, the OS can only address a maximum of 4GB of total memory. That includes RAM, graphics card RAM etc…

What that means is that if you have a graphics card that has 1GB of GRAM, and 4 GB of main memory, your PC will only be able to access 3 GB of the RAM, making 1 GB useless.

A 64 bit operating system doesn’t have that problem which is why you should upgrade to one if you have 4GBs of RAM or more.

With XP, you need to do a clean install to W7, there is no upgrade option unless you were using Vista. Cleanest and easiest way imo is just to save what you want to save on an external device or a spare partition, and wipe the C drive clean and start fresh.

yeah even when i reinstall win7 to clean it up i back up everything and do a full wipe, best way imo

+1 for a clean install.

The only other thing you need to remember is once Windows 7 is installed, get into the updater and make sure you don’t install Windows 7 ‘KB971033’ (unless it’s legit, then this is invalid). I’m sure there are ways around it now, but hiding it (there’s an option) saves you a lot of hassle.

your scaring me John…lol

I take it it was like Windows Service Pack 2 which initailly was full of bugs?

Very good point John. The one good thing about that update is that it is unticked by default so it is easy to spot, nothing to worry about Chilli. Just don’t go ticking the update, and better yet, hide it like John suggested.

W7 has always been very stable, mostly due to the point that it is really Vista 2.0. Vista was always a piece shit, sure it ran fine on a semi decent system, but it was a resource hog. You have to think that there was a reason that MS released W7 so soon after.

Installing W7 tonight…

Just installed the V6 cooler which im happy with. Cant seem to get the LED lights working but cant see them from where I sit anyway.

Massive drop in temps…on high load hitting 51-52 where I was pushing mid 70 before…insane!!

Thanks again for your help Nip…just the fukin simple takings sometimes turn into epic battles…lol

anyways, should be all loaded by tomorrow

nice work matey … .you’ll be a certified techy in no time

Good work Chilli.

OC or GTFO :laugh:

Who are you and what have you done with the old, unnerdy chilli we all adored and loved!?

still here…lol…anyways all reloaded and back up and running. I must say Windows 7 is faster!!! Once I got it going which took ages…some sort of conflict…even 2o mins on the phone to nipper could fix the issue…

Very pleased to hear it installed for you in the end Chilli. Still clueless for the most part as to why it was hanging for so long.

Enjoy Windows 7, it’s a nice OS.

Yeah i had a similar problem when installing my copy… it would start getting into the installation and then just sit there pretending to load things for 10 min, can’t remember what it was that caused it though.

it would start getting into the installation and then just sit there pretending to load things for 10 min, can’t remember what it was that caused it though.

exactly

it would start getting into the installation and then just sit there pretending to load things for 10 min, can’t remember what it was that caused it though.
its counting how many times you have pirated Windows.