Scratchy Needs Technical Assistance. Stat

Title says it all…

I recently reformatted win7 64bt for the first time and ever since have found the computer running terrible. Now i have figured that win7 does most of the driver downloads when win7 installs, but i noticed graphics drivers and audio drivers aren’t installed at first.

I got an old ass motherboard and relatively new hardware, which are:

AMD Phenom II X2 545 Processor
4gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB GDDRS
Gigabyte S-series MA790X-DS4

Now what i have installed are:

Catalyst Software Suite (http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx)

Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition) (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2695&dl=1#driver)

& both Chipset Driver (include sata raid driver) & AMD Chipset Driver (include chipset\sata raid driver) should i be installing both? or if just one, which one?

There are SATA RAID and LAN drivers… will I need them?

Or have i gone to far and only need to install the graphics driver?

Computer is taking an extra 4-5 minutes to complete a restart, games arent installing/ working properly and overall the pc is running terrible

Hey mate,

Basically with any PC, these are the core drivers that you need to install.

Chipset (I always do this first, in your case I would download the AMD Chipset driver).
Graphics
Audio
LAN/Ethernet

Windows 7 should be able to do these via windows update but I always opt to do it manually, go to the manufacturer websites and download the latest drivers yourself. Sata RAID drivers are not needed UNLESS you plan on setting up a RAID array.

As for having two chipset drivers available to download, I’m not sure why there’s two, but just go for the one provided by the chipset manufacturer.

As to whether that is related to your performance issues, I can’t be sure but getting the drivers installed correctly will definitely have an effect.

Well i ended up installing the AMD chipset first, however kaspersky picked up an unusual trojan, weather it was a false positive or not i found it strange that a driver from the gigabyte website had it, also the AMD chipset is alot older than the other… which is why i installed both.

Going to unistal the 2nd now and will let you know… not installing a LAN driver might also be one of the issues

thanks Nip

Should of mentioned it earlier, but open up the device manager and see if there are any unknown devices.

Something you might check if it’s still running slow is making sure your ram and cpu are operating as they should - ie CPU operating at the correct speed, all ram is usable. My bios recently borked on me which actually resulted in an underclocked CPU and I could only see 2GB of ram instead of 4 (I think in W7 it showed up as 4, but in brackets said only 2GB useable). Computer was running god awfully. It’s not a common prob so I don’t think that’d be the cause of your woes, but it only takes a few secs to check.

and how do i check that, thaT the cpu and memory are working properly

Easiest thing to do would be to go into your bios (hit the delete key when your PC is booting up) and load the optimised defaults. It will be on the front page of the bios, then save and quit and let the PC boot into windows.

Check that frequencies are set right by downloading CPU-Z and making sure that the clock rates match that which is specified by the manufacturer. You will have to stress the CPU to make it display it’s maximum clock rate. Just open an application at the same time as running CPU-Z and you should see the CPU clock jump up.

Make sure that you actually have your RAM installed in the correct slots. If you only have two sticks of RAM, your mobo manual suggests to place them in slot 1 and 2 (The yellow slots).

Edit: Have you installed any new hardware prior to installing W7? If so, what did you upgrade?

Thats all to confusing Nip :stuck_out_tongue:

I downloaded this program

… Now is it saying i have 1497mb/s memory, because its suppose to be 4gb

Nevermind i kinda understood… i used cpu-z and found these results, but by the looks of things there isnt a problem that i can see

You really should try and load the optimised defaults, it’s really simple. Google it if you have to.

You also need to answer whether you installed any new hardware JUST prior to installing W7 64 (as in, hardware that has never been in the PC before now).

Your RAM is there, that’s fine. The previous screenshot was MB/s (transfer rate, not capacity).

Notice how your CPU multiplier in the second shot of your last post is at x4, open up an application like a web browser, or even one of your media files and see if that multiplier increases when you launch the app. It should go higher when it is not in an idle state. If it happens to quickly for you to notice, download prime95 (a CPU stress tester) and run it to force the CPU to 100% load. That will give you plenty of time to see the CPU frequency change, just remember to stop the test afterwards.

Yea sorry, no new hardware has been installed, had the same stuff for about 9 months

When i load any program it jumps from x4 to between x9-x15, and the core speed goes from 800mhz to 3010mhz

I ended up loading the optimised defaults in bios, it seems like its running abit better now thanks… however now there is a floppy disk driver ever since (not that i have every used the floppy drive)

thanks nip

Your CPU is running fine then.

To get rid of the floppy drive, go back into the bios and navigate to “Standard CMOS Features”. Once you are there, you will see a option for “Drive A”, set this to None.

Then press F10 to save and quit. The floppy drive will now disappear from your machine.

So is the machine back to normal or just going slightly better than before?

I will be getting my new pc this Thursday :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: and I want to make sure I (again) select the correct drivers

What I’m looking at are: Chipset, Audio & LAN
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67M_PRO/#download

Now this Asus has a hell of alot more drivers than my gigabyte AM2 mobo, so do I need them all or is the drivers that I mentioned up the top the only important ones

… and should I install these drivers before I start updating windows? or after (I forgot to ask that last time)

nice man

Install drivers from disc u get with motherboard they should be fairly current and it shouldn’t hurt either way if you update win7 first or not…

I recommend a hammer.

Are you just as excited as I am about my new pc chromium?

as excited as your avatar.

I know the cables are abit untidy, but there’s the new pc… I had some problems at the start (having a Dvd driver that didnt fit onto a 1155 socket, and the current problem of the case fans not working, but should be able to get that fixed very soon)

… is a very fast pc