Patty's PC Questions

Only question, re: RAM, what’s so fandangle about the new GSkil “Ares” RAM? Only ask because it does have the Extreme 3 listed as a recommended Mobo for it.

14 pages long…how many questions do you fukin have? :blink:…lol

Its 1600mhz the rest means shit/timings etc unless your into crazy overclocking/benchmarking it will be fine…

Makes fuck all difference for gaming.

Indeed indeed, anyways, all ordered - upgraded to Extreme 4 & i5 2500 because I could - should have it by mid next week :slight_smile:

1 Lian Li HD-321 3.5in to 2.5in Drive Mounting Kit $14.50
1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM $93.00
1 Intel Core i5 2500 Processor LGA1155 3.3GHz CPU $205.00
1 G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600MHZ PC3-12800 CL9(8GBXL) $52.00
1 OCZ Agility 3 120G SATA3 SSD $159.00
1 Western Digital CaviarGreen 2TB 64MB SATA 3 $138.00
1 ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Z68-Gen3 4xDDR3 3*PCIex16 GBL RAID DVI HDMI DS $170.00
Sub-total : $831.50
Ship to 4356 at Postage Cost $25.00
Total : $856.50

Looks solid! You’ll probably find that the OCZ SSD will come included with a 3.5" - 2.5" converter. Mine did.

I kind of don’t want to say this, but I would of spent the extra $10 to get the 2500K. Doesn’t really matter if you aren’t into overclocking.

Edit: After a quick search, seems that the agility can be shipped without a bracket.

Patty, didn’t you want the 5.25 to 3.5 converter?

Duct tape time.

Re: overclocking, cbf, so figured it made no difference not getting the 2500k.

Re: SSD, didn’t really think about whether it would come with a converter tbh, oh well - nah Chromi after I actually had a proper look at my HDD cages etc. (instead of y’know, just speculating :stuck_out_tongue: - when talking to you about it I hadn’t pulled anything out etc. was just speculating…) a 3.5-2.5 will do fine.

FTR, SSD did not come with bay converter.

Everything is so speedy though! Who knew!! Be intruiged to see how well Witcher 2/BF3 perform now, should be a noticeable difference

Oh, and I was going to take pictures, but it was late, and you all know what PC parts look like soooo I didn’t.

When I got my SSD everything was faster, until my stupid WD Green Drives decided to turn themselves off…

Hmmm, so I’m kinda getting sick of having to always adjust my master volume when changing programs. The reason it’s doing it is because when using powerdvd9, when i change it’s volume, it actually changes the master volume. As you can imagine, it gets quite irritating then when I go back to just listning to iTunes etc. and the volume is all wack. So, any suggestions? Is it a setting i can change in powerDVD? I’ve had a quick look, but didn’t get far and figured you’d know anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Only thing I can think of right now which may not solve anything, is to go into you sound properties via the control panel, select the default playback device and click the properties button. Then once the new window pops up, go to the advanced tab and untick (if it is ticked) the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device”.

I still find it strange that PD is controlling your master volume, maybe installing the latest audio drivers may set it straight if the above suggestion doesn’t. I’ll let you know if I find anything else.

lol, just read another one of my replies in this thread that basically says what I said in this post word for word. I don’t suppose you tired it yet? If you did then this will take a bit more thinking to solve.

Hmmm fairly certain I’d already done that when I has having trouble with my old headset. The main reason it confuses me is that it is only PD that does it. Audio drivers should all be up to date, but will double check…is just so incredibly irritating!

Actually, don’t bother looking any further into this. Seems that there is no way around it from what I’ve seen now. Does it to mine also.

I can only suggest that you control the volume via the physical control on your headphones/speakers rather than through PD9, this is what I do myself and why I never noticed the problem. If this doesn’t suit you then you should get in the habit of turning the PD volume back up to max before closing the program.

Still may be something that I have looked over, but for the most part, PD9 controls its volume via the master control.

Current headphones don’t have a separate volume control on them, and the last set I had would alter the PD9 volume, and thus the master volume, when i changed the volume using its controls.

Seriously making me want to try and find another media player, love everything else about it, but is realllllllly starting to annoy the heck outta me

GOM Player. Its neat :smiley:

GOM is sexy as, but last I checked it still failed with mkv files (doesn’t recognise subtitles). As anime is pretty much always in this format, i just use media player classic (I get the klite codec pack. I know ppl say don’t get packs, but i’ve used this one for years without a single hickup).

Mediaportal handles every single file I could possibly throw at it, but it would just be messy to use on a desktop. Designed to be driven by a remote control imo, actually that’s a fact rather than an opinion.

I’ll also give a vote to MP Classic, Mediaportal comes standard with a lot of its filters, does the job. Otherwise I always use VLC.

Only problem is that the PD codecs are pretty darn good if you want to get fussy about PQ.

GOM and VLC yeah they are my fav’s.
I stay away from the codec packs haha, they have the habit of not working for me… -.-

MediaPortal isn’t a codec pack, it’s an alternative to Windows Media Centre. It’s far more customisable and has many more addons.

Just think Internet Explorer vs Firefox.