Patty's PC Questions

Lol az the oveclock addiction i must say most of my purchases over the years have always been at hardware that overclocks the best…

Dont see the point in buying high end cpu etc when you can buy lower models that overclock like crazy eg q6600 etc make’s for so much more fun…

• a billion.

That’s the whole point of OCing imo, buying cheap hardware and making it outperform hardware that costs 3 times as much. I think you’d have to be mad to buy a 2000 cpu when you can get an entry level chip that will exceed it if left at stock settings. In most cases, the dearer chip doesn’t necessarily net a bigger OC either, not for the average user.

My m8 bought a qx9770 for approx $1200 awhile ago now I should have punched him in the face lol…

Dont see the point in buying high end cpu etc when you can buy lower models that overclock like crazy eg q6600 etc make’s for so much more fun…

true … but then you dropped 2 4890’s out for a 5870 hehe … the lure of the new stuff is very hard to deny at times :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL az im guilty but got one for free building a system so i didn’t care too much…:tongue2:

Sigh, so frustrating, my sound randomly decides that it wants to sit at 100% volume, and there’s nothing i can do to change it (I turn it down by the master volume, and then I watch it creep it’s way straight buck up) Any suggestions?

Tell your poltergeist to leave the sound alone.

lol… or divers maybe

Most likely a program you got installed messing with it try monitoring what programs are running and isolate them…(Ctrl/alt/del and end all unwanted programs) worth a shot…:wink2:

It does it straight after a restart though. Just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I’ve seen that problem somewhere before, can’t remember now but I’ll see if I can refresh my memory.

Is it that much of an issue though? Don’t your headphones/speakers have a physical volume control on them?

All I can really think of atm is going into the sound properties via the control panel, open up your speaker/headset properties, go to the advanced tab up the top and untick “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device”.

That may stop any other application from taking control of your volume control like mac suggested. I can’t say as to why it is happening to you though. You need to think about when it started happening and if you installed anything at that time.

It started happening when I was at the coast, and as I didn’t even have the net whilst there, I hadn’t installed or downloaded anything, which is what is baffling me the most.

My headphones do have volume control, but when I’m using PowerDVD, it makes not a scrap of difference, I can’t turn the sound down either through the program, through the volume control panel, or with my headphones. I restart, and it does the exact same thing, increases volume back up to 100%. Can’t change it, do another restart, it goes back up to 100%, but this time I can change i straight away. Just makes no sense whatsoever.

Try what I suggested above and see what happens. It should stop anything from taking control over the audio settings.

Also, the volume control on your headphones is independent of the master volume of the pc, so I can’t understand how controlling the volume via the headphones does not work unless they are faulty. I’m speaking of a physical control as in a dial on the headphone lead, not a software control via the pc. I’m sure you know this but just to be sure, if I set the volume on my headphones to 0% and set my master volume on the pc to 1% - 100%, you will only ever hear as much sound as the volume control on the headphones will allow, which is 0% in this example. If nothing else, it should give you a short term solution to controlling the volume of sound actually exiting your headphones. I actually use this method to control my volume all the time, I never control it via the sound settings in the control panel.

You could always try uninstall and reinstall the audio driver as a last resort.

Yeah I think i’ve narrowed it down to being my headset, and it’s somehow screwing up the sound controls. By mistake I found out that simply changing the usb port I’ve got it plugged into generally fixes the problem.

I never change any of the sound settings in the control panel either, and usually just use the headset controls, but seeing as that wasn’t working, that’s why I had to try with the control panel.

Ah, you have a USB headset, didn’t realise sorry. I was thinking of the 3.5mm jack type. Being a USB headset, it would use it’s own soundcard rather than the onboard one, makes it seem more likely to get the sort of problem you have atm as the USB headset would have its own drivers that probably try and take over.

Cooler finally on, temp is so much lower (obvs :p)

Will post pics one day when I cbf :shades:

Also had to buy a new headset, it died well and truly thursday, froze computer every other time it was plugged in. Was then playing silly buggers and someones only had 1 speaker working on teh times it wasn’t freezing, till it finally just stopped working… Sooooo… bought a pair of AKG K518’s, which are fricking sexcelllent :slight_smile:

nice mate … be lookign to wind it up soon eh :wink:

you got 1066mhz ram yeah ?

also… whats your mobo … p5q what? L or pro ?

Nice patty, sounds like those old headphones were ready for the tip. New ones look pretty cool.

Love to see the V8.

Hey Chromi, I’m finally going to!!!

Budget has been blow out to $650-700

Thinking the following:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM $94.00
Intel Core i5 2400 Processor LGA1155 3.1GHz CPU $188.00
G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600MHZ PC3-12800 CL9(8GBXL) $53.00
Crucial RealSSD C400 128G SATA3 M4 Series $195.00
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 MB, LGA1155 Intel Z68 $126.00

Total $656.00

Looks solid patty would be good to see you back gaming m8…:wink2: