Patty's PC Questions

Figured I’d make just one thread for me, keep it all together etc :stuck_out_tongue:

Anywho, hoping to do a reformat on the weekend, and I’m planning on partitioning my boot drive (as I never did it in the first place). Should I partition the drive before the reformat? If yes, how (Mac half showed me when I was trying to get my new 1TB drive working, but i’ve forgotten :p) If so, can I partition the windows installation right now? Or will I have to just make a separate partition, then move all the other crap from my C:/ onto it, then do the format?

I think you have to do it at the very start of the reformating.

It will actually give you the option when you run the boot disk to partition and if you select yes it will ask what portion.

I dont think you can partition windows after its installed.

There’s a few ways to go about it. In any case the partition needs to be clean of anything when you go to install windows.

You can do it from windows now if you wish (right click my comp -> manage -> disk management-> choose the drive and partition it, at least for XP, vista is similar).

If you wanna use the same drive as your current OS is installed on, you’d do this while reinstalling. It should come up something about existing OS installs, you can delete it there and set up a new partition.

K thought this’d be quick but there’s a lotta stuff to blab on bout, after exam if Nip hasn’t gotten here first :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey patty you can also use a program called partition magic which is very easy to use and be found on the net…You can partition before (in windows) or whilst formatting its your choice…I’ve never partition my main drive only one of my backup drives. Should work the same…(I hope lol)

I personnal wouldn’t partition my main drive, thats why I bought a 74g raptor (old school now) but right size for os etc…Since most hdd these days are 500g + you can waste alot of space cause i like to keep my os hdd clean with only essential programs installed which helps keep it running nice and smooth…

If I could just use my main drive as OS and most used programs only, I would. However, therein lies the problem. My main drive is 640gb, and like you, think it’s a huge waste of space to only be using say 100gb of that. I do regret not getting one of these back when I built it, but now given the continued emergence of SSD’s, I figure I might as well wait until they further drop in price (or at least until they find a way to increase their useful lifespan), and stick with what I’ve got, but partitioned.

Patty, easiest way to do it without causing any potential problems is to

1. Get everything you want to save into some external storage.

2. Load up the windows installation as if you are going to reinstall Windows.

3. You will get to a section where it asks you where you want to install the OS, in this section you should be able to see an advanced button to the right, click on it and you should see a format button. Format the entire HDD, then look down again and you should see a partition button. I can’t remember what exactly it is called but basically you click it, it will ask you how large to make the partition. Make sure you give yourself enough room, 100GBs is a safe bet. Click ok and you should now have two partitions in the list. You click on the smaller pariiton and click next to continue with the installation. When it is done and the OS is installed, you should see and extra HDD than what you would normally see in “my computer.” This is because separate partitions appear as separate HDDs in the OS.

This is the same process as what Chilli mentioned. If you were going to format any other driver than the system one, you could of used any of the methods described by the others. I think Partition Magic has some way of partitioning your system drive with windows already installed on it, but I think it can create problems, if you are reformatting anyway you should do it whilst you are in the windows set up.

Hmmm, I guess it will make me get rid of some of the rubbish I don’t need. Main reason I wanted to be a slacker and cut corners (and somehow partition the windows installation that’s already there) is because pretty much every program I use is on that drive, and half of it I’ve possibly deleted the setup files for (Eg. Everest/PowerDVD 9).

You going to be online tonight Nip?

Ah sorry mate, I’m going to a 21st against my own free will, (Damn pushy friends). It’s not very often that my social life gets in the way of my computing, lol.

edit: If you were going to reformat anyway, you would still lose all of your programs regardless if they are on the C drive. Even if they were on the 2nd partition if you had one, and you only reformat the C drive, those programs won’t work as they won’t be in the registry. Cutting corners with PCs always lead to annoying problems and spending more time on them later on, trust me I’ve tried.

Bugger

Oh well, no corner cutting for lazy me then :frowning:

Those programs won’t be too hard to find in any case, use mininova.

I don’t think I have any plans for the rest of the weekend if you need to ask questions.

I know you’re all probs sick of this line, but main reason it sucks is 5gb etc. etc.

Those bits of programs add up, especially when am going to have to update vista…

Thats the downside of formatting I guess :><:

Patty if you don’t have a 2nd hdd in your comp i’m gonna have to seriously hurt you…:laugh::laugh:.(I’ve always keeped a format folder with all the handy programs your need to make formatting quick and easy etc) …m8 if your stuck for programs and don’t wanna use your downloads give me a list and i’ll be happy to get them for you.(got powerdvd9/full office 2007 etc) plus many more on backup hdd’s…Just a option to make it easy if you like…:wink2:

mac u reckon u would be able to send me a copy of office 2007, i went out and bought the 2007 pro for 600 bucks but they gave me the upgrade 1, i took it back and they want an extra 250 for the full installer, so i need to install a office 2007 program first then upgrade. do u think u could hook us up

Yeah nps m8 chat tomorrow get details and i’ll send you a legit copy of office:wink2::wink2:

I agree with mac, you should keep a format folder on your pc that has all the drivers and programs needed to make installations a breeze. You should of keep the current copy of all the software you use just in case you need to use it again in a situation like this. Makes reformatting a breeze, it’s getting so quick to do it now, sometimes I reformat when I don’t really have to, just want a fresh start etc…

Re: Graphics Card problem,

If I hook the fan up to my fan controller, that should tell me if the problem is on the graphics card, or just the fan itself yeah?

That sounds like a possible test but I’m not 100% sure whether the fan header on the video card is the same type that you will find on your fans speed controller or motherboard. If it is then you can try. I’m going to go ahead and say that if the fan is currently working now (even though you can’t vary the speed) I doubt that the fan is the problem, rather the fan speed controller on the card that should be controlling the fan. But that’s just an assumption.

Fan headers on gfx cards are different to mobo ones…(the 4 or 5 i’ve see on different cards when fitting aftermarket coolers etc…)

Yeah didn’t bother trying, I know the fan works already, and just trying to hook it up to my fan controller isn’t going to tell me what the problem is (even though I’m fairly certain it’s the fan speed controller that’s at fault).

Will try changing the speeds the way you suggested when I get home Rav, even though i’m sceptical it will actually work.

In the mean-time, anyone got a second hand 4870/4890/GTX 275 they want to sell me? :stuck_out_tongue: