New Laptop multiple BSOD's

First off, I think I may send my laptop back, it’s become a pain in the arse.

I boot it up (came with Vista Home Premium 64bit)
It BSOD’s
I boot it up in safe mode, it works fine.
I boot it up again normally, it BSOD’s (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)
I say “fuck this” and rant at my family, waving my arms around.
I try a clean install of windows 7 (upgrade disk) and it installs fine, boot it up, then i get into IE and it BSOD’s. (IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE)
Then I boot it up again, this time i dont try IE, and it BSOD’s AGAIN!!!
(SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION)

I need help guys! Or else I am going to break down and cry. I want my lappy running sobs

Oh and also I open it up to see if it was loose RAM etc, and the bastard jipped me, i ordered 800mhz RAM, and the prick gave me 667mhz.
Needless to say I had a whinge and I am going to either make him send me the RAM, or send the lappy back to be fixed and the new RAM put in, either way if i don’t get what i paid for… I will be PISSED.

Nip, if you can help me I will give you my right nut.

Schpaz

Did you happen to write down any of the error codes? 0000000124, 0000000101 etc… They may help determine what is the problem as well as the descriptions you have given.

Most common fault, especially for laptops would be the CPU overheating. Get a program such as core temp or Realtemp and monitor your CPU temperatures, if it is getting hot then it can cause a BSOD. RAM is also another thing that can cause problems. Sometimes changing it can fix the problem. You can download memtest and see if that throws any errors your way.

Other than that, can always be drivers. Make sure they are up to date. Bit hard to really know at this stage but step by step you should be able to determine what is causing your problem. Unfortunately if it isn’t the CPU/RAM or any software causing the problem, that could mean it is motherboard/GPU related and with a laptop, you are shit out of luck trying to fix it, as you can’t really change it.

You will be ok though as your laptop should be under warranty and they will obviously have to fix your problem, even if they have to exchange it.

I see your problem

I have bolded + underlined the problem

0x0000000A
0x0000000002E6D8F4
0x0000000000000002
0x0000000000000000
0xFFFFF800022D58FE

@iinsom
Yes well, i ran Windows 7 on it afterwards, and it still Blue Screened.

0x0000000A
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063

This Stop error message usually occurs during installation when there was an attempt in kernel mode to touch pageable memory at too high a process internal request level (IRQL). Typically, this error occurs when a driver uses an incorrect memory address. Other possible causes of this error include an incompatible device driver, a general hardware problem, or incompatible software.

That basically tells you nothing, lol. It could be anything at this stage which is a driver/hardware/software (anything on the laptop).

Best bet and easiest fix would be making sure that you have the latest drivers for EVERYTHING. Also check those core temps now and make sure that the CPU is not frying, as nothing else will matter if the CPU is playing up.

EDIT: LOL iinsom

This might be handy too.

Applicable to the following Vista configurations: Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, Business, Enterprise, Starter, Home Basic N, Business N, Business 64-bit Edition, Home Basic 64-bit Edition and Business N 64-bit Edition.

This STOP error can occur during startup or at any other time. The 8 digit hexadecimal number 0x0000000A translates to the bug check code “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” which may be caused by the following:

1. A kernel-level application or device driver running in kernel mode tried to read or write to a memory location that had restricted permissions. The code IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL indicates that the interrupt request level (IRQL) was higher than the number that was expected. A process running in kernel mode cannot access a process that has an IRQL which is greater than its own.
  2. Components of the hardware may have failed such as the memory chip, the processor or motherboard. It may also indicate problems in video or disk adapters or device driver incompatibility issues.
  3. Computer Hardware may not be Vista compatible. This STOP error usually results from the faulty installation of System Services, BIOS firmware or device drivers. It can also be caused by incompatible virus scanners or backup tools.
  4. Sometimes viruses or the anti-virus software that is running on the computer may cause problems.
  5. Third party software applications such as device drivers may also have software bugs which access unprotected or restricted memory. Sometimes the name of the application or driver that caused this problem will be displayed on the screen immediately after the STOP error information.
  6. You are trying to install Vista on a computer with more than 3GB of RAM
  7. You are trying to install Vista on a computer which is running a Storport miniport driver
  8. You are trying to install Vista on a computer that has a controller that utilizes 32-bit DMA (direct memory access).
  9. Repeatedly putting a laptop with Vista operating system on a sleep cycle mode can also cause this problem.
  10. Computer runs QuickTime 7 on Vista which is trying to open a movie file with .mov extension.

Solutions:

1. First clear all external device drives of CDs, DVDs, Floppy disks, etc. Verify that your hardware is compatible with the operating system.
  2. Remove all external peripherals such as printers, faxes, cameras, network adapters, sound cards, and serial cards, other USB devices, etc.
  3. Try to restart the computer. If you cannot restart it using the mouse or keyboard options, shut down the computer by pressing down the manual Power button for a few seconds. When the computer has completely shut down, press the button again to restart the computer.
  4. As the computer restarts, press and hold the F8 key before the Windows Logo appears.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select “Repair the computer” in the “Advanced Boot Options” menu.
  6. Choose a keyboard layout and login using username and password.
  7. Choose Startup Repair from the menu for “System Recovery Options”.
  8. The Startup Repair

Okay, well I will download something to tell me the temps, what do you suggest? haha I have no idea.
Oh and also, I have checked the drivers and they seem to be in order, but is there a more efficient way to check the drivers other than running windows update etc? because it updated after the win7 install, and 3 failed, but the rest were good, and the display evened out.

Is there anything else i can do after all this? Or do i just tell the guy i bought it from everything and get him to replace it, because I have a 90 day return/replace policy on it.

Thanks Nipper!

Does this also help?
Is 667mhz RAM compatible with vista?
And also when it shipped, it came with Vista SP1, and apparently that was majorly buggy.
But I still don’t see why it is still BSOD’ing in windows 7, because I did a clean fresh install, and formatted and partitioned the harddrive also…

“core temp” is always good.

In regards to drivers, windows update is ok but I find it’s better to go looking for them yourself. So you need the latest

Chipset Drivers
Display Drivers
Audio Drivers
Any other drivers for all the little things you get on laptops, card readers, touchpad, webcam etc…

If I were you, I would just tell the store you bought it off that you are having problems and let them fix it, it has warranty after all. Better to get it replaced just incase it is a problem you can’t fix. But it’s your call. If the drivers do nothing, give the store a message.

Vista SP1 was far better than not having SP1 at all. It shouldn’t crash that much but for the most part, W7 is better.

So I would say that your OS is not the problem.

Any speed ram is compatible with any OS, even if you had 800MHz ram, it would still be running at 667Mhz natively due to the base clock on the motherboard. 800Mhz ram would be doing nothing for you in this case. Still you should make sure you get what you paid for. The only thing that RAM can or can’t be compatible with is the motherboard it is physically getting installed into.

Do all mother boards run the RAM at 667mhz natively?
Because if they don’t maybe I would get a bit of a speed boost lol. I dunno, all I know is i paid for 800mhz. And if I have to return it to get fixed, then it may as well get the RAM that I paid for installed in it too :wink:
I will try core temp, and try the drivers, I have already emailed the store.

Thanks Nipper, this is more than a little daunting seeing as it’s the first purchase I have made myself personally, and it may seem cheap to you, but compared to my wages and stuff, its murder!! :wink:

It’s not the motherboard that determines the speed of the ram, it’s the clock speed of the CPU. This is going to get messy so just bear with me

So if you have a CPU that has a 2.8GHz clock speed, chances are that your base clock is actually 266MHz instead of 333MHz (could be wrong here, need to know your CPU model). What ever the base clock is, multiplied by your ram multiplier, is the effective speed of of your RAM. So 266 x 2 = 532MHz. So you wouldn’t even be getting the benefit of 667MHz atm, not that it makes hardly any difference is most applications.

There is no point running a higher ram multiplier either as your FSB can only send and receive instructions as quickly as it is clocked. So a FSB (the Front Side Bus connects the CPU to the RAM) clocked at 266Mhz like yours is can only send and receive data at that speed from the ram regardless of what it is clocked at, 533, 667, 800, 1600. It’s irrelevant.

What you have to do to get the benefit out of quick ram is to increase your FSB speed (which is not really possibly on a laptop due to heat) to match that of your specified ram speed (remembering that DDR ram is double data, so 400MHz on the FSB is at a 1:1 ratio with 800MHz RAM or 333Mhz to be at 1:1 with 667MHz). So high speed RAM is ONLY for over clocking, their is 0 benefit to be had out of it if you leave your system at stock speeds.

That is going years back for me though when my PC used to have a FSB, the newer chipsets don’t use them any more a lot of the info I knew about them has been forgotten due to irrelevancy. Some of what I wrote above may not be 100% accurate, but I’m pretty sure that is how it used to be.

After researching, what I said about having a 1:1 RAM to FSB ratio is correct (only for motherboards with a FSB, so don’t get the wrong idea X58 & P55 users, lol)

A ratio of 1:1 provides the best level of stability, since the memory controller, which is an integral part of the northbridge chipset for Intel processors, does not need to translate data flow across the FSB between the memory modules and the processor(s). Also, since memory and processor FSB clocks are synchronous at 1:1, (400:400 or DDR 800), there is no additional latency introduced.

If a minimal ratio of 4:5 (400:500 or DDR 1000) is used, then the resulting increase in memory frequency is effectivey cancelled out by the latency introduced in translation across the FSB between memory and processor clocks, and no increase in memory performance can be noticably detected in benchmarks. Also, asynchronous or mismatched clocks create an element of potential instability within the memory controller, so depending on the chipset, an increase in northbridge and memory voltage is required for stability, which results in more heat, and less FSB overclock ceiling.

If a more aggressive ratio of 2:3 (400:600 or DDR 1200) is used, then the increase in memory frequency can marginally overcome the latency introduced in translation across the FSB between memory and processor clocks, resulting in a marginal increase in memory performance, which typically yields an increase in memory benchmarks of 2 to 3%, and is relatively negligible in terms of overall system performance.

In the case of DDR3, where a ratio of 1:2 (400:800 or DDR 1600) or 2:5 (400:1000 or DDR 2000) is used, even with the tightest timings, an increase in memory benchmarks of only 3 to 4% is yielded over DDR2 800, which once again, is relatively negligible in terms of overall system performance. It’s also noteworthy to consider that DDR2 memory timings of 4-4-4-12 compared to 5-5-5-15, will yield an increase in memory benchmarks of less than 2%. However, for those of us who have the need for speed, we’ll take whatever we can tweak.

Additionally, at equal specifications, 4 memory modules offer less FSB overclock ceiling than 2 modules, since more northbridge and memory voltage is required to maintain stability, and 4 slots require twice the current of 2 slots, again resulting in more heat, which typically is pulled into the CPU cooler, where it can increase processor temperatures by a few unwanted degrees.

hey nip in my bios my ram shows 13xx speed when my ram is really 1600, i can change it so it clocks at like 1734, is that safe and any gain? just dont see the point in such high speed ram if dont even run at it

Yes you can because you have a system that doesn’t use a FSB, but an IMC. I’m fairly certain that the whole 1:1 ratio doesn’t apply due to the speed of the IMC being superior to the memory controller on the NB.

Only thing is that you’ll get bugger all difference, might cause instability if you don’t get the voltages and timings right for that speed. As long as you don’t over volt it, you won’t damage anything, the only thing you have go to lose is time, it takes some to test stability.

IMO, you are betting keeping the clock speed you have and tightening the timings to compensate, you will possibly get better performance that way. The thing is with ram though, it really makes bugger all difference.

My Processor is a T9600 2.8ghz.
Does that have a FSB? lol :S

Processor NumberT9600

of Cores 2

of Threads 2

Processor Base Frequency 2.8 GHz
L2 Cache 6 MB
Bus/Core Ratio 10.5
FSB Speed 1066 MHz
FSB Parity No
Instruction Set 64-bit

The T series is just the the mobile C2D processors so yes they have FSB for example my laptops processor is the T8800 which is 2.66Ghz it has a FSB of between 1000 and 1333 depending on clock speed

I think that answers your question. So your base clock would be 266MHz as the 1066MHz FSB is quad pumped (this is the effective clock, not the real clock), which is a way for them to send and receive data more than once (possibly 4 times, not 100% sure) every clock cycle. So 1066 / 4 = 266MHz. So to get the most out of that, you only need 533MHz (effective speed) ram as the rest will not be useful at all unless you over clock which is something I wouldn’t recommend doing on a laptop.

Also, for reasons I don’t yet fully understand, when it comes to FSB and RAM speeds, the real clocks seems to be far more important than the effective clocks. Otherwise you would be able to run up to 1066MHz ram on your laptop and get a benefit, in the real world, this does not happen as the real clocks are not matched at the 1:1 ratio.

You definitely earn your title “Tech Guru”
Haha, thanks for all the info Nipper, it’s been really helpful!

I sent it back, apparently I have to handle the costs of sending it back, pfft. $30 gone! That could’ve bought me a bucket of KFC! Mmmm KFC…Homer gurgle

LOL, homer gurgle.

I try my best, it’s quite hard to remember everything I come across though, mostly due to the difficulty in finding correct information.

For example, if you have a 1066 MHz effective clocked FSB, why can’t you run 1066MHz RAM in it with a 266MHz base clock and a 4 times ram multiplier? Apparently doing this means that your FSB is running at a 1:2 ratio to your RAM, even though the effective speeds are the same, the real clocks are not. I’d have to test this myself until I can draw conclusions, unless I can find somebody who has tested this correctly.