Mafia II demo out now

I’ll throw this on the front page later

http://www.mafia2game.com/demo/

Demo came out yesty, should be available on steam.

There’s some talk about it on OCAU, apparently there’s a timer or something, but it can be modified. I dunno the details so rather than give you unknown file links i’ll just throw this in.

i think nip jizzed his pants

tried it out

thoughts so far on the half hour or so on the demo

controls are bang on for PC
voice acting top notch
old school cars are cool
i had mine maxed and it ran really well, no lag at all

though it doesn’t have the same “epic” feel GTA4, i don’t think i’ll be like i’m gonna go find some mad jumps etc. but then again the era isn’t really about that.

OMG OMG OMG…

as long as the cars handle decently I’ll be happy. Couldn’t stand GTA4 simply because the cars handled like crap :tongue2:

lol well cars went a bit slower back then… ( unless your on the race track :stuck_out_tongue: )

:guns (16)::guns (16)::guns (16)::guns (16)::guns (16)::guns (16)::guns (16)::guns (16)::guns (16)::guns (16)::guns (16)::guns (16):

FUCK YES!!!

Good to hear, can’t wait.

Yeah, it doesn’t have the same audience as GTA4 like I said earlier. It is a much smaller map for starters, this game will capitalise on the story, rather than play time if it is anything like the first.

The racing cars hauled! Loved that mission in the first game, stealing the car and trying not to crash it.

Less than 25 minutes to go and I’ll get my first sampling…

I’ll be having pleasant dreams of whacking wise guys with a tommy gun.

*** Take note that what you are about to read is written by somebody who loved the first Mafia game more than anything else made since***

This game has been crafted by GOD.

It has the exact same ability of sucking you into the era, the music, cars, the way people talk, it’s all there. The demo has left me hugely impressed and it has passed my expectations, I can’t imagine how good the real game will be.

It was when I was driving down the street with the 1940s - 1950s music blaring that I thought “I’m actually reliving that sensation that I haven’t had for 8 years since the first game came out”.

It had to be the most enjoyable 10 minutes of gaming I’ve ever had.

/Mega fanboy praise

My unmeasurable fondness of this game aside, it has actually improved from what I’ve played from the first game in many ways. The visuals are fantastic, also the first time I’ve seen physx put to good use with all the rubble scattering all over the ground. It does take a hit on the frame rate though, if I was still working full time, I’d be buying new cards to make the most of it. For now, I’ll just play without physx so I can maintain an average of 60fps.

The way the guns feel is awesome, they pack a huge bang, the way people move around whilst you are shooting them is like watching art in motion.

The cars have the same feeling of those of the first game. They do not handle like they are on rails, if anything they are trickier to control at speed than what the cars in GTA4 are (which I never really found that difficult). Kick the arse out around a corner and you’ll be fishtailing up the entire road trying to correct it. The other thing that looks fantastic is the tyre smoke. Spin the car around 180 degrees and plant it, it looks so real.

One thing that is hugely improved from the first game (mostly because it was non existent in the first) is the cover system. IMO, it’s superior to ME2s which was pretty good. It’s very easy to use and it feels seamless.

I’m going to pre order the game tomorrow now that I am certain beyond a question of a doubt that this game is the true sequel to the original Mafia game.

For me, the Mafia 2 demo was more enjoyable than GTA4 in its entirety. Anyone who is a fan of organised crime novels/movies/tv series will agree. If you like sandbox games with huge maps that take hours to explore, then you’ll be a bigger fan of the GTA series. If you want to get as close as possible to living the life of a gangster, then nothing else comes close.

rofl, high praise Nip! You use the time limit patcher?

I downloaded it last night, will have a crack tonight if i’m home in time.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah, my review CAN NOT be used be anyone as it is the single most biased piece of literature ever written, lmao. In saying that, it describes exactly how much I have been waiting for this game.

I pre ordered the collector’s edition today, almost tempted to buy a regular edition so I don’t have to open the collector’s (haha, only joking). I actually went into town to pre order it, I haven’t bought a game locally for ~5 years, haha.

I will do the time patch today John, I want to have a explore around as much as I can. Last night I just did the mission, loved every minute of it. It’s a true sequel. I’m very relived that they didn’t butcher it, from what the demo showed anyway.

There’s also a tweak for better physx performance.
http://physxinfo.com/news/3628/mafia-ii-demo-tweaking-physx-performance/

Freaking epic, it’s the same house that you get killed in at the end of the first game. Notice Tommy Angelo watering his lawn.

Ahhh, video game nostalgia, is there anything better…

ME2 can learn something for this, keep the “real” citadel in the game!!!

FYI, the time patch works.

They have really limited the size of the map for the demo, but there are still a few good things to do.

Shooting the cops and stealing their car is always fun, it handles very well.

On the driving topic, I actually think that I prefer the way the cars handled in GTA4, to me that would of suited M2 perfectly (I’m one of the few that thought GTA4 had fun driving mechanics, was less like an arcade game like those before it). There’s just a little something off about the way that the cars respond, its feels like they’ve been a little bit too reserved with how quickly the car turns full lock when you are using a keyboard. Only a tiny complaint. Maybe there will be a steering sensitivity option later on?

EDIT:

http://physxinfo.com/news/3628/mafia…x-performance/

Followed the instructions in the article above, I deleted all the cloth effects except for the ones that apply to the main character. Bumped my average FPS up to ~50 with everything on/maxed whilst dropping anisotropic filtering down to x8 from x16. With AF maxed too, I average about 20 FPS.

You can still go further and delete certain environmental physx effects like broken glass, tyre smoke, etc…

Once drivers become optimised for this game, as well as it getting patched, it should only get better from here.

FYI, go and drink all the beer in the fridge at the start of the demo. It’ll make you dizzy, just like drinking the wine did in the boat mission in the first game.

Just discovered something that they stole from the GTA series, car customisation.

From this

To this. Check out the custom plates, lol.

Also, tyre smoke effect, looks great.

looks epic nip! cant wait

The more you play, the more little things you pick up.

I have to check this again to make sure, but when you take the car to mechanic’s, when you drive up onto the ramp, you can see the tyres flexing as you go over.

I also found a jump cabby…

Here you go, did it in my tricked out ute.

Have you tried simulation driving? It’s meant to help that for some people.

Please explain???

Edit: Oh there’s an option. I’m going to try it now. Can’t beleive I missed it before, I even set the unit system to metric and never spotted the driving option.

Your a genius, haha. That did the trick, the cars feel much more natural now. Brilliant.