Mafia II demo out now

I aim to please :shades:

Gave the demo a quick run through last night. Definitely seems like it’ll be a lotta fun!

Trainer (for a demo, haha)

Worth it for the unlimited money, can modify cars to your hearts content.

Also, trainer for all weapons (including those that do not feature in the demo).
http://www.mediafire.com/?ien0co8go2lo7kn

I haven’t tried the weapons trainer yet, might wait until somebody confirms that it works.

Cool little details I’m still discovering about the game. If you shoot a store owner and leave, when you come back, the store is empty and has crime scene tape on the door. Neat.

So do police actually do an investigation and slowly find out who it was instead of like every other game where you kill someone and nobody at all is around and then every cop in the place instantly knows it was you.

Nah, if they don’t see you at the crime scene, your basically off the hook.

If they see you commit a crime on foot, they know your face. You have to change your clothes to stop every cop coming after you.

If they see you commit a crime in a car (including speeding, running red lights, hitting other cars) then they have your licence plate number, but not your face. All you have to do it that situation is lose the cops, dump the car and you walk away.

If your crime is minor, like speeding, they will just want to give you a ticket. You can pay the fine, or run.

If your crime is a little bit more serious, they will try to arrest you. You can let yourself be arrested or resist arrest.

If your crime includes killing people, aiming a weapon in somebodies face, firing a weapon into the air, the cops will just shoot you.

I’ll also point out that the cops in the demo have been dumbed down a lot compared to the full version of the game, that’s what has been said in the developer forum anyway.

UNICO National, an Italian American service organization, is looking to put a stop to the release of Take-Two’s forthcoming third-person action title, Mafia II.

The organization claims that the title – which follows the story of a young Italian man as he rises through the ranks of a mob family – is a “pile of racist nonsense.” In a letter sent to Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick, UNICO says Mafia II is an “inappropriate and insulting perpetuation of the pervasive and denigrating stereotype of organized crime being the exclusive domain of Italians and Italian Americans.”

“Why would [Take-Two] foist a game on their targeted audience of young people wherein they will indoctrinate a new generation into directly associating Italians and Italian Americans with violent, murderous organized crime, to the exclusion of all of the other ‘mafias’ run by other ethnic and racial groups,” says UNICO’s Andre DiMino said. “Take-Two is directly, blatantly and unfairly discriminating and demeaning one group to the exclusion of all others. We are demanding they halt release of the game and cleanse it of all references to Italians and Italian Americans.”

DiMino is asking for a meeting with execs from Take-Two, a company which he says has a “history of perpetrating its violent, sleazy, racist videogames upon an unsuspecting public.”

Mafia II is being release next week, August 24, for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. The game was announced in 2007; if UNICO is truly interested in stopping its release, it’s unclear why it waited days before it hits store shelves to go public with its complaints.
Idiots… How is this any different to any movie or tv show, not to mention that many of the events described in the game happened in real life, stereotypical or not.

Many of you know that I have an Italian background myself and it’s most likely the reason I loved the first game so much. I can relate to it (not the killing part, lol), but the songs, sayings and the stereotypical Italian characters are hilarious and true.

What games do they want to portray Italians? Spaghetti Master, Guido Douchebag, Arranged Wedding Planning, The Sims “live with your mother expansion”.

There’s two things I like about having Italian heritage:

1. Having a connection with the country that has been the source of some of the worlds greatest sports cars.

2. The Mafia.

That’s it, lol. Ok so the food is ok.

Strauss Zelnick, the Chairman of Take-Two, has responded to UNICO’s accusations of racism in Mafia II and their demands that the game be blocked from release. Here is his official statement:

"Mafia II tells a compelling story about organized crime in America - a subject that for decades has been featured in movies, television shows and novels. Neither UNICO nor any other organization purporting to represent Italian-Americans has seen or played Mafia II.

At Take-Two, we balance our right to free expression with what we believe is a thoughtful and responsible approach to creating and marketing our products.

Mafia II is M-rated in accordance with our industry’s strict standards. It is specifically not targeted toward young people.

We will only release a title that meets our standards: as art, as entertainment and as a socially responsible product. We aim to distinguish creative and compelling story telling that advances artistic expression from subject matter that gratuitously exploits or glorifies violence or stereotypes. I fully and completely stand behind our creative teams and products, including Mafia II."
Nicely done. Once again, why do video games cop such a beating when it comes to portraying violence compared to any other medium? The same thing happened with L4D2 and most likely countless games prior to that.

lol

There are video games that track the calories you burn while playing them. There are games that count the number of virtual miles you race in them. Mafia II tallies how long you “read” its in-game Playboy centerfolds.

I played a press demo of Mafia II several weeks ago and poked around in the game’s menus. Like many other games, it has a statistics screen that shows how the player’s in-game actions are being tracked. Adjacent to a standard line about how many hours and minutes the player has experienced in Mafia II is the Playboy timer. That timer tracks the number of hours (!) and minutes the player spends looking at Hugh Hefner’s magazine.

Fifty centerfolds originally printed in the magazine in the 1950s (and maybe 1960s; I’m not sure) are included in the game as collectible items. They can be viewed full-screen, surely to provide a sense of historical authenticity to the game’s vintage mobster milieu.

short Demo…

I just spent half an hour killing cops and innocent bystanders

The mission is not spectacular in the demo by any means, they are not going to give A-grade content in the demo, the dialogue is hilarious though. “That fat fuck could show up any minute.” “You shot my balls off!”

There are a few things now that I don’t like about the game compared to the first. Even though this game will most likely entertain me like none other for years to come, it has suffered some small setbacks that I felt ME2 also had.

I think the overall map is smaller than the first game by 2 square miles. That’s not too bad as it is, but surely they could of kept it the same. Seems like a downgrade.

There are no melee weapons, in the first game you could sneak around and hit people with a baseball bat.

You could change gears in a car manually and you had a clutch which was just fun to dump.

You can’t shoot out of cars any more. In Mafia, you could shoot from any angle inside your car, this was even better than Vice City’s ‘shoot left or right’ out of the car system.

It looks like you can’t shoot the wheels off cars any more, you can puncture and loose tyres, but that’s it as far as I saw in the demo. In the first game, if you placed enough bullets into the centre of a wheel, it would come off the car, it was awesome.

You can’t jump, not a real biggie.

You can only keep 10 cars in your garage. This is the biggest disappointment for me. In the first game, you had a whole car yard behind the restaurant which had enough space for practically every car in the game. By the later stages of the game, I had so many cars at my disposal that it was more fun choosing which car I wanted to take on a mission than doing the actual mission.

There is one main reason I think the game has these flaws. It starts with a C and ends with an S (get your minds out of the gutter). The first Mafia was a PC exclusive and it showed. It was later ported to consoles, much later. This game feels like it has been made for consoles and ported to PCs. Whilst it feels brilliant on the PC, you just can’t drive, free aim and shoot at the same time with a console controller where as you can easily with a keyboard and mouse.

When I get my copy of the game, I’ll write about what has been improved and give an overall verdict. I’ve still never been this excited for any game in my life though.

well done…you just turned me off.

No Bats…

lmao. Yeah, hitting people over the head with a baseball bat had a satisfying effect.

I’ll sum this game up easily for people that haven’t heard of it.

If you like the Mafia and the culture that goes along with it, this game will impress you and you will become a fanboy.

If you’re not really fussed about this type of game, then the best way I can describe it is that it will feel like a smaller version of GTAIV, set in the 50s, but with a very strong story element which is the game’s real asset.

It’s not so much of a sandbox game, the story will be linear, with you being able to muck around in the city between missions. You can’t choose to do different missions before others like you do in GTA because the story has to unfold a certain way, it’s like an interactive mobster movie.

wallpaper for nip nip

http://au.pimp.tv/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=452:takin%27-care-of-business-mafia-ii-photoshoot&Itemid=226

See, Mafia 2 has it all…