Connection Issues

Have you actually checked your pings on general sites or anything?

like opening up cmd and checking “ping -t ausgamers.com.au”?

Ive tried everything, all sites are slow, buit then half an hour later, fast, then slow etc…

I had the same issue with TPG and I was using the same modem so Im starting to think it may be that.

Im looking at a wireless modem atm

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4

So whats the go with Wireless

Is it more intermitant than cabled?

Do you have to put something in a USB port to to pick it up?

Do I need a special connection for the ps3?

dont go wireless D:

i had a similar problem with my net, but instead of it slowing down it was dropping out regularly, but a new router fixed that

Sorry, I had assumed that you weren’t even connecting to the net.

Yeah, well if it isn’t congestion or a Telstra related problem, it may be your modem I guess. Very hard to know though until you test it. I tried the same thing in an attempt to fix my net problems but it did jack shit, I’ve tested 3 different types of modems, even one that internode sent me just so they were confident that my modem wasn’t the issue.

Wireless is ok, I use it myself. Distances can play a part in the quality, but for the most part, your connection will not be quick enough for the wireless router to be a bottleneck. I’ve never suffered problems as a result of it, my internal ping from my pc to the wireless router averages 1ms.

Your PS3 is possibly wifi enabled already which means it might work wirelessly from the get go. You will need to place a PCI, PCIe or USB adapter in any computer that you wish to use the wireless signal.

IMO if you can get away with using a a regular non wireless router, it is the best way to go as it is far easier to set up and it won’t throw up the same problems you will get from wireless from time to time.

edit: what john said is a good point. Do an actual ping test to your primary dns.

type cmd into run and open it up.

type ping 61.9.211.33
(that is QLDs primary DNS)

it should then run a ping test and if it returns massive pings like 100ms, 485ms, 200ms, etc… then there is either something wrong with your modem, which if after changing makes no difference, it is not an issue with your modem, but something else probably related to Telstra.

http://bigpond.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bigpond.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5586&display=content

That website lists all of Telstra’s primary and secondary DNSs, ping test to the ones that are releavent to where you live. In my experience, my ping to internodes primary dns is around 18ms when the line isn’t congested.

i vaguely remember you being laggy as shit in cod4 nipper, i still blame your wireless! :smiley:

You are correct, I was laggy as shit. Has nothing to do with the wireless I can assure you.

I can plug directly into the modem and nothing changes, ping test when directly connected to the modem gives exactly the same pings + ~1ms. If I tracert my ping, it literally takes 1ms for my computer to reach the router. Internode have confirmed it is a congestion issue, getting them to get off their arses and fix it is a different issue, which isn’t really theirs but Telstra’s.

I can see congestion creating issues but my speed varaice is bettwen 5000 and 30 so unless they are routing all Australain traffic through my exchange, congestion isnt the issue.

Telstra reackon they have reset ip,s, the line etc and from there end they can see I have full unwaivering speed.

I keep thinking i got some fricken virus but i have recently reformated the pc.

Given this is not new to me its either one of two things

My modem, or something is wrong with my line and they just wont admit it.

Ill but a new modem and if that doesnt fix it Im going to go off!

Yeah, process of elimination. If the modem does nothing, there is clearly something else wrong.

edit: what john said is a good point. Do an actual ping test to your primary dns.

type cmd into run and open it up.

type ping 61.9.211.33
(that is QLDs primary DNS)
ping returned was average 24ms

on the wireless topic, my pc is cable misses lappy on wireless, if we do speed test she gets better DL rate then i do :confused: by 1 meg almost.

Ive also never had a problem with the wireless after using it for over a year, i use a belkin ‘N’ wireless modem/router, wasnt cheap either o.O

hmm, that’s actually pretty good tbh.

Do the test again when you notice that your net is playing up. It doesn’t appear that you have congestion or modem problems from that.

if you put in the “-t” it keeps checking until you ask to stop as well (ctrl+c to stop).This is more helpful if you there are lag spikes or sudden drop outs. Let it run for over a minute, and if it’s still <30, it would mean somethin else is screwin u over

good point.

If you don’t want to wait around you can put “-n” on the end followed by how many times you want it to check.

eg. ping 192.231.203.132 -n 100 (that will ping the ip 100 times)

Is timing out bad?

Also there were a few spikes over 100, is that normal

Yes timing out is bad, it is worse than having a high ping. It is basically when the packets you are sending are not getting sent back. There is something suss going on there. Might want to send Telstra an email with that screen shot in it.

Probably still wouldn’t hurt getting a new modem just so you can confirm beyond all doubt that it isn’t the problem.

purchased a TP-Link TD-W8960N

Lets see if this baby fixes the issues

Keep us posted.