Building my Rig

Hey guys I’m building a comp and I would like some advice if im in the right path on the build and where im wrong. Here’s what i got so far it is still missing ram i didn’t have a clue what to get

Why do you need two Blue Ray burners?
27 inch monitor is overkill, you will go blind…lo…save $150 and get a top 23inch one
I probably think the power supply is a little rich as well. 700watts is more than enough but you could get a good unit for approx $130

Stay away from the A380…they have grounded them at airports all over the world…lol

personally i would go an i5 try and save a few bucks in some other areas and then use the saved coin for a much better video card.

smaller monitor, 1 less blu ray burner, cheaper CPU and psu = good grafix card, ram and aftermarket CPU cooler.

1. grab a 24" same res cheaper
  2. grab 2x1tb samsung F3 spinpoints, epic hdds and they are fucking cheap
  3. 450 does not do that system justice. 460 or 6850 as a minimum now.
  4. lol at optical mouse
  5. drop the 2nd bluray burner
  6. Xclio isn’t the great case maker, seems a bit cheap imo, i would go for lian li, coolermaster, silverstone.

seriously that looks like shit

Mmmm, the biggest problem there is the graphics card. Nothin wrong with wanting a 27" monitor, but you do want more GPU juice. You’ll do a hell of a lot better grabbing a P55 mobo and i5 cpu rather than the X58/i7 (along dropping the 2nd blu ray) and spending the money saved on a better graphics card.

If you’re sticking to 1 graphics card, prolly easiest, you could drop the PSU down to a 650W.

Cabby makes a point. Unless you think you’ll eventually fill up all your HDD slots (which could happen eventually) you can save easy money by grabbing 2x1TB drives.

Cases are your choice. But as a reference, popular ones a lot of us have are the Coolermaster HAF 932, 922, or RC-962 II. The Antec 900/902 are also great.

I do believe I’m probably stealing a system spec Nip put together, but it shows a possible alternative that has a lot more gaming grunt, but for somethin like $400 less after you include your screen, mouse and keyboard.

As for GPUs specifically I’m a little out of the loop on the upcoming cards, so I’ll leave that to Nip.

iI’m no computer wiz but heres my suggestion that covers pretty much everything you want for much the same price. i even fit in a SSD but if you dont want it you can bump it off and save a couple hundred

I chose benq 24" cause it is capable of 16:10 and 16:9.
put in a cpu cooler
power supply is a bit bigger than the one you looked at but cheaper
1 blu ray reader/burner
went with a haf x case but thats my personal opinion
also you could go 1000 watt power supply but i dunno if that’ll make much of a difference

I’m not even needed here any more, everyone gives great advice…

I got a massive case of Deja vu, until I read your post, lmao. That’s a very quickly put together PC that I did up for Tel. I had 3 - 4 different variations with the only difference being the graphics cards (460, 6870, 5870, and for shits and giggles a 580). The cost of each system roughly represents the gaming performance.

You could also go for an AMD CPU and motherboard and save more again.

Summary:

Massive monitor means having monstrous graphics card/s in order to drive them. 24" is big enough for the majority.

The i7s are great CPUs but compared to the quad core I5s, they don’t make a huge difference in game (with the exception of a few titles), the same can be said whilst comparing to a similarly clocked AMD CPU. It is a much better idea to put more money towards a better graphics card as it will ultimately determine how well your PC will hold up to upcoming games.

SATA 3 is a waste of money for a HDD, even SSDs have only just managed to scrape the limit of SATA 2. Buy regular HDDs, the Samsung F3s are a good, quick drive, and cheap as mentioned previously. Buy a couple of them and save. I just popped one in my HTPC to replace a dead drive, very nice as far as HDDs go.

On the topic of BluRay burners, do you need a BluRay burner or just a reader? There is money to be saved there also.

sparks father wants 2 burners so he can watch a bluray dvd at the same time as burning it (or another. that wasnt made clear)

so maybe this would do… SSD is optional (could save you some $$$)

after our chat on steam this sounded like exactly what you are after

if anyone has any input please feel free to talk

That BluRay drive you have selected will not burn BluRay. That is what I was talking about in my last post. It is a BluRay reader/DVD burner.

This is a BluRay burner, note the difference in price. Two burners should still not be needed, even if you want to watch and burn at the same time. All that is needed is for the contents of the BluRay drive to be copied to the HDD (this has to be done anyway), from there you can watch the movie off the HDD, whilst burning it to a disk.

1st drop the ssd 120g for a 60g drive thats all you need for OS…
2nd as good as the hd5970 is i wouldn’t buy one myself maybe look at gtx460’s/hd6850/70’s or even get a gtx580 etc…
3rd the noctua 14 is a monster ask az the d12 would be more then enough to hit 4ghz overclock…
The rest looks solid…:wink2:

I’m not even needed here any more, everyone gives great advice…

lol…i only know what i read in your section mate…i still need you…:yes:

Not enough SSD’s

Too many blu rays. (2 too many)

LMAO!

and cheers chilli.

okay guys how about this 1 then??

Looks good mate… the 5970 to me seems a waste of $$ though. Id rather a ud4/5 spec and cf 6870 over the 5970 anyday.

But it will still be a bitchin system.

Agree that the 5970 is too dear, if you want to throw that sort of money at a graphics card, might as well get the latest thing and make it a 580. In reality, a 6870 or even a 5870 will be enough for most (6870 is slightly slower but priced very competitively).

Mac’s advice in regards to the SSD is also true, 60GB is plenty. No use buying a large SSD to use as a normal HDD, the more frequently you write to them, the quicker they degrade.

The D14 is very large and I’d only suggest it to the truly dedicated. For that matter, if you are not over clocking then there is no reason for an after market cooler at all.

580’s will be hard to source for a while … especially if he wants to get it all from just pccg for shipping savings.

a gtx 460/5850/6850 would be very sufficient for gaming on a 24" … then for big overkill… like i said … run cf … the board being x16/x4 will prob cost ya a measy 10% odd drop in cf. Otherwise go for a hgher spec ( my asus pro for eg is sli/cf able @x8 which is plenty)

True, just have to change the motherboard if going down the SLI route. The P55 UD3 doesn’t support it as far as I know (Xfire only).

In that case, best to go with a board like Az’s. Not much dearer, supports Xfire and SLI, plus has x8/x8 lanes as previously mentioned. Could get a UD5 but they don’t seem to be listed at PCCG, no big deal one way or the other.

well i 100% agree on the ssd from a 120gb to a 60gb, but im not sure that i’ll be even using SLI or Xfire but i’ll have a look at this motherboard

the ud5 is there but its only available for 1366 ports. pccg only has it available for i7 cores

Alrighty guys how about this one guys, I have read your posts and agree with a few of em so let me know what use think:

on the price just add P+H $144