Black Ops Review/ thoughts

Ok so heres my opinion after about 2 hrs of gaming

There are a lot of features when setting up, many of which you have no idea what they mean of their impact on the game and the manual or online offer no info.

The 3hr download just to play single player is a friggen joke. Even downloading from Steam at 700+kbps took ages…

Cant alter you name! This comes from your steam account. It looks like when you reach level 10 you can start making lots of modification (including name) A good way to get numbers in early.

Hit rego is really good is you dont have lag…which I had heaps of…but essentially, you shoot them in the head and they die…I like that so in that regard Id say its closer to COD than BC2

I might have put my graphic settings too high becuase I really dont like the sharpness of it. I might fuk with the AA settings to take the edge off.

Finding a server is easy as there are shit loads (Aussie Based) Some of them are named after individulas so Im not sure how they have done this or why the server name would be i.e Steve Hadlley Level 18…wierd.

There are reserved slots on servers so they look like they are not full but are…that pisses me off.

I like the guns and the responsiveness, much better than BC2 but again tiny maps, which will entice the COD players but bore the BC2 Vets.

SP is cool but I prefered COD 4 and BC2 single player, I think sometimes they have tried to be tgoo technical and fancy with the story line and having to sit through the history/memory of the main players can be tedious, algthough you do get to see the history of COD…which I did like.

JFK makes an appearance and orders an assisination…

I guess its early days and Im sure tweaking a few settings will help the visuals…

Im looking forward to playing Zomies on PC which is a great addition.

IMO, it will get a good run and we will without doubt field a squad in a ladder or two, but as a Big map fan, its no BC2.

you can change your name, just change your steam display name, thats how it worked in MW2

yeah lots of people getting lag, both fps and unusually high ping. good review chilli, however in my preference, i prefer the smaller maps cod/cs style rather than bf style, epecially now that there is max 18 players. whatever floats your boat i guess

I should add, the knife is great …for 1 time kill. Its slower to relaod than a shotgun

The other thing I HATE, is the ability to jump to prone…the most unreaslistic paert of the game. I imagine people will be trying to bind this funtion to a key and diving all over the place in no time

ohh… and Blade…the shotties real make a mess of the enemy…:slight_smile:

Just a side note, did you pay attention to how big the dl was? Some people had issues where even if they had the dvd in the drive, steam downloaded the entire game for the installation. There is a fix for this floating around online in case others seem to be downloading something stupidly large.

coughBF2 dolphin divingcough
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m1DogclBfs[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1gT9VsCb14[/ame]

it certianly felt like it was downloading the whole game, i dont know how big it was…2.5 hrs at 700+kbps id say 5+ gig…stupid Steam…and Cabby, Dolphin diving was never funny…stupid Dolphins

If u are having lag/ FPS issues there are a couple of things that you can do … apart from waiting for trayach to fix it

first for the server lag

go console > type “/cl_maxpackets 100” > hit enter

for fps lag ( which was affecting me badly)

go console > type “/com_maxfps 125” > hit enter

this didnt completly fix the fps issue but it did make it alot better

done all those things and more, doesnt fix anything for me :frowning:

And we wait for the first patch which will likely be out in a week or two…:wacko:

so is it worth buying yet or wait for the next patch?

wasnt even working last night…id wait…unless you want to run through single player

I haven’t had any problems with it, which is unusual, except the server list is fukd to navigate.

apart from lag/ingame freezing its good, though i do miss stopping power, gives SMGs are bit moer moomph

Might fix things up a bit

The guys over on the official steam forums have a response from gameservers.com that a server sided fix is being rolled out
[INDENT]Hello,
[/INDENT][INDENT]This is in response to your ticket regarding Lag. We are in the process of rolling out an update to the black ops server configuration. This will be automatic. After testing, we have found that our update will significantly improve performance on ll servers.

No action is required to be taken by you. Please, we appreciate your patience. This roll out will happen in the next 2-4 hours. Please wait 24 hours before submitting any additional support requests regarding lag, as your issue will likely be resolved as a result of this change.

Thank you,

Zachary Williams
[COLOR=#669800]http://www.gameservers.com/[/COLOR]
Frag. Not Lag.
[/INDENT]

yeah boooooooooooi!!!

i actaully turned my firewall off and had next to no problems…

Still hate Steam though

You might want to make sure that Windows 7 has an exception in the firewall for STEAM/COD7 etc.

Still, if it works, it works.

yer ive got to add it as an exception

the update that they have released has fixed my lag and FPS drop issues

the only thing htat is still broken with mine is the server browser

apart from that everything is fine