Windows 7

looking to get it soon just wondering should i go for a full copy or will the upgrade be ok.

Depends. If you get the upgrade from vista, what I would assume is that you need to have vista installed before the upgrade will work. That can be a pain in the ass for someone who reformats often like me. If you don’t ever reformat then it won’t be a problem.

If I were you though, the cheapest option is a OEM copy of the OS

That is very cheap and all you are missing out on is a nice, fancy box.

the box isnt even fancy it feels cheapo

Just read

And yes you can do a clean install… You just have to have either a
copy of XP or Vista to prove during installation that you qualify for the
upgrade version disc as it’s a discounted price from the full version…

So if you have a legit copy of Vista or XP, you can do a fresh install with the upgrade. That’s not too bad imo. I though it would of meant that you needed to have one of them installed in the first place which would mean a reformat would result in installing 2 OSs, one after the other.

does anyone know how many times it can be installed ( on different pc, i got 5 soon to be 6 to put it on) and i dont rly want to buy more copies

You can legally only ever install the OS on 1 PC at a time, no more.

Each copy comes with it’s own licence which is limited to being installed on one machine only at any one time. If you try to install it on other machines with the same serial, you will run into the WGA rubbish and possibly get your serial blacklisted.

well since microgay wont let me have my way i might have to obtain it otherway, i just spent 400 bucks on an os and i can only have it on one pc thats uber gay

ok i bought the oem full version now should i do a format of the hdd or just install over the top?

best method is a clean install, so a proper format. takes a little more time but worth it IMO.

Also overseas got a Family Pack where u can install on somethin like 3 PCs. Bundle wise, australia got screwed over :(.

+1 on clean install.

Yeah John, I read about those family pack upgrades. We always miss out.

Yeah when you install it it will ask where to install and format if needed, i was amazed that i formatted and it took a whole .5 of a second o.O new pc is quick hahah

what if your current xp disc is an upgrade disc, can we still install with it?

i’ve heard that the family pack’s are here now!!!

I “THINK” it doesn’t matter. It’s been a while since I’ve looked but last time I did, the prerequisites for using the update disk were pretty relaxed.

Some said that you just need to have your old key to confirm that you had the previous OS, some said they didn’t even have to do that…

With the full retail or OEM copy (which is much cheaper than retail and what I would get), it doesn’t matter what you used to have on your PC, it will install fine.

W7 Home Premium is only $136 anyway.

i hear thepiratebay is selling them cheap

thanks guys, help heaps :smiley:

They are that cheap they might as well be giving them away…oh wait :tongue2: