Testing Hardware

Hey Nip, I’ve decided to test each component of my computer myself since the ARC fuckwits are useless, was wondering if you could help me out a bit.

Ive downloaded prime95 and 3D Mark Vantage, do you think these 2 will be enough to determine which part is faulty?

nope. my pc always tested fine

dammit, how do i find out since the arc people arent helping? did u just buy a new pc?

heh, well in cod4’s case, new pc does same thing. Have you tryed port forwarding for those games?

http://portforward.com/

As for lag in MW2 who DOESNT get lag hahaha.

Hey Nicky.

I know how annoying this can be, I’ll try my best to help you out. Hopefully we can determine something.

Good place to start would be with Vantage. If that all goes smoothly, doesn’t spike, get a score that is average for your hardware, then it’s safe to say that you don’t have any faulty parts.

If it does play up in the Vantage bench, my first thought would possibly be the graphics card. It’s hard to know if you don’t have a spare, maybe you can borrow a card off a friend? Anyway, if changing the card gets rid of the spiking, you may of found your problem.

It’s all trial and error really. You can use Prime 95 if you want to test the CPU. Run it on Small FFTs for around an hour (should be enough as your CPU isn’t overclocked). Keep an eye on temperatures with “core temp” and don’t let the temps get over the ~85’C mark.

I honestly doubt it is your CPU but you can never know with these things. Might want to remove some RAM and only run on one stick to see if that has any drastic effects.

So if hardware turns out to be good, that means we need to start looking at the software side of things. You’ve already updated the graphics card driver, so maybe it’s time to update the sound driver, might possibly benefit from flashing the bios also.

I just also want to point out that if it’s only online MP games playing up for you, it’s more likely related to bad latency than anything hardware related. That’s why I mentioned playing MW and MW2 in SP and seeing if the spiking remained. Like I said before, MW spikes for me too, it does for a lot of people with i7s.