Ssd

hey nip just pricing up a new system won’t have cash till tax time but im seeing a $75 32g ssd drive (name not important). seeing it would be cheeper then buy 1x 64 drive (on one at moment that is cheapest is $139 next ones are $160 ). buy 2 and raid 0 them get faster performance for cheap correct?

Yeah, that’s right.

Just make sure that they are using a good controller, no use buying something outdated and/or unreliable. Make sure it supports TRIM etc. You’ll notice that SSDs are blisteringly fast without having to RAID them if you decide to stick to one.

Just for reference my son’s 40g ssd with sandforce controller is no where as fast as say nippers 60g model…generally the smaller the size the slower the speed…

The 40g model is a vertex 2 with sandforce controller and its max reads etc are 190mb/s compaired to nippers 60g which hits approx 270mb/s…

If your looking at the ocz onyx 32g model? with read speeds of 130 mb/s even in raid you might get better performance from a single 60g unit…:wink2:

Yeh cool cheers you’ve given me some reference points

Does this mean we might see you in action in the coming months mate?

By you mean coming months as October next year then yes just pricing up what’s out there atm lol

lol

I think TRIM may not be supported in RAID 0 either from a quick search.

if its circa next oct that you’ll have the opportunity to buy a pc mate… id sign up at OCAU and then once you got past the trial period of 3 mths or whatever, keep an eye on the trading section… as i told chilli, it is possibly the best source of gear in aus at a bloody good price ( all gear is 2nd hand though - min of 2 weeks old).

Sign up there and when the time comes you might get better than you think for less… john, nip and mac etc will all agree that its a great place to browse and shop.

The OCAU is the no.1 Australian PC forum out there. It’s a wealth of knowledge and you will snag some bargains if you keep an eye out. John just bought a HTPC well under the cost that it would of been otherwise, and Az snagged a very nice deal lately too.