Schpaz's El Problemo's

Just slow down for 2 seconds. Might not have anything to do with Windows. You need to show us what happens when you launch the game, step by step so we can determine whether you are doing something wrong, or whether the game is just playing up for you.

Too late :S

It didn’t take long anyway. And have already set everything up how I want it, and installing game now. :slight_smile: Will post and say if game works or not…

Sorry Nipper man, I am a very very impatient person when it comes to these sorts of things :sweat:

Saweet it works guys :smiley:
Very happy camper, off to work night shift now… Zzzz

haha, it’s no skin off my nose.

Just trying to determine what is causing your game to play up with the least amount of hassle. In a way it isn’t that bad that you reformatted as we can now rule out from being the cause.

edit:

Nice man, guess that’s a relatively easy fix then.

I’m going to answer your 2nd question first.

The C drive is always a primary partition, the other partition on your HDD should be a logical drive. If both partitions show up in my computer, then you have nothing to worry about.

As for your mic problems in steam, sounds as if you just don’t have the right mic setting selected in steam. In saying all that, steam chat is a bit dodgy for some people, including myself. Sometimes people can hear me, sometimes only the little icon shows up beside my name (lobby in MW2) and they can’t hear a thing.

In any case, you can test to see if it is working through steam by going to file > settings > voice. Make sure the recording device is selected for your headset. Then click Test mic and you should see the recording register on the bar when you talk.

Also just mention that there is a detect audio devices button in the same area that may help.

Ive done all that, still doesn’t work lol. And the thing is, it worked only like a month or so ago, but now it seems to hate me :frowning:

Does yur icon show up as talking and they just cant hear u? Cos i noticed that my mic level is auto adjusted in the “Recording Devices” settings. I think vista auto adjusts yur mic volume or something, it was always taking it from 100 to 6. I unselected “allow programs to take exclusive control of this device” and it still did it for a while, but now it has just stopped. definatly weird :><:

So does steam pic up your mic in the settings or not? If it is not, then I would suggest looking at your mic volume in the control panel. Unticking the box that nicky suggested is a good idea too, I’m sure there’s a setting somewhere that tells the mic not to automatically turn itself down.

Yes the icon saying im speaking comes up, and they just can’t hear me. And they weren’t lying to piss me off, I tried it with friends also.
And yeah I have tried unticking that box Nicky, and same with the control panel Nipper, hmm so vista likes to change it? I have vista on the desktop, maybe it will run on my win 7 laptop then, crosses fingers

I think you may have the same problem as me mate, as far as I know it’s a bug with steam. We’ll have another go at it when you get your lappy back.

Yeah I hope it works, if not, I won’t bother with steam chat, I just hope it works with TS. :smiley:

It’ll work with TS, never had an issue with it. As long as nothing on your end is faulty, you won’t have an issue.

Yeah fair enough.
So with the HDD partitions again, can I install games/programs to the partitioned storage drive? The one without the OS on it?
It may be a noob question, but I have never needed to partition a HDD before. Lol :wink:

yes you can it just creates a program files folder on the partition

Oh cool :smiley: Thanks man!

What I found was the best idea was to make those folders yourself, and then when installing a program/game, direct the install to the appropriate folder - otherwise some programs/games dont create a folder, so all the files are there and it can be hard trying to make a folder after that and making sure u get all the correct files into it

What do you mean?
Make a “Program Files” and other windows folders in the second partition drive? Or let it make them itself?

What she means is that when you specify that you want to install a game or any program to the 2nd partition, make sure you put it in a folder group so it keeps it all nice and tidy.

All my games are in a folder on my 2nd partition called “Games”, all of those games are inside folders that are specified with the name of the game.

It’s up to you what you call it, program files is fine. What she was getting at is that a lot of installers don’t automatically place the installed files inside one folder if you change the default directory. It will just dump the individual files in what ever directory you point it to.

For example, I want to install MW & MW2 on the D drive. I tell each installer that I want to change the directory, but I don’t specify that I want each game in a folder named after each game. The end result will be that the D drive will be full of 100s of files that come from both MW & MW2, it will get messy very quickly.

This is what my 2nd partition looks like. I like to keep my games separate from program files just to make it quicker/neater to get to my game files. This is not a necessity.

Oh okay that’s what she meant, I thought she meant that I had to have a “Program Files” in both partitions. :slight_smile:
What you said makes much more sense haha, thanks Nipper and Nicky :wink:
You seem like a very organised guy, I wonder, what does your computer desk look like? Are you a neat freak? haha :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, I try.

My desktop is relatively clean. It could be made cleaner by using applications like rocket dock to handle my icons, but it just introduces another program that does something unnecessary. I don’t mind seeing icons on my desktop, as long as there aren’t to many.