Rants from Deutschland

At the suggestion of ze Blademan, i’m just copy pasting up a coupla emails. Nothing much has happened since these, as i’ve spent the last few days in bed with the flu. Fun times people!

I’m still feeling sick as a dog atm, so formatting and pics are gonna be missing (i’ll get back to it later). Most pics related to emails are up on FB, otherwise i’ve got a currently identical photodump on google.

Munich, stayed there 3 nights
https://picasaweb.google.com/109517742522365610696/Munich?authkey=Gv1sRgCLbRueby3v-Pcw

Augsburg where i’ll be working
https://picasaweb.google.com/109517742522365610696/Augsburg?authkey=Gv1sRgCL-v9_r6kKLh8wE

COPY AND PASTE JOB GO NOW!

Mail 1:
As some of you have heard, my plane(s) did not explode in a giant fireball as it did in my dream the night before leaving Sydney. To the contrary, the journey had practically no hiccups at all. The windy weather in Sydney meant I was required to make a mad dash across the terminals at Melbourne (the Freq Flyer flight meant I went Sydney -> Melbourne -> Hong Kong -> London -> Munich) but made it with a couple of minutes to spare.

The first leg was taken up by listening to the Blues get thumped in Origin on the radio, much to the pleasure of the kiwi next to me. I then took a sleeping tablet for the Mel-Hong Kong leg which (as Colleen promised) kept me in a very relaxed state and I slept for the majority of it. It was only on the next part of the journey where the realisation of how bloody far from home I’d be working finally set in and I got my first taste of homesickness. While the fact I know bugger all German is still a major concern for me, I realise now homesickness is the first real hurdle.

Some final notes on the flight:
[FONT=Calibri]- [/FONT]Despite most people’s thoughts on airline food, I really enjoyed the Qantas food, and managed to have seconds for a couple of the meals (think I had 5 separate meals across the flights)
[FONT=Calibri]- [/FONT]The check in guy at Sydney must have been off his rocker thinking it was strange I’d booked the seat in the exit isle for the Mel-London stint. He tried to convince me the narrow seats in that isle on the 747 meant I’d be much more comfortable moving somewhere else if I could. But I thoroughly exploited the unlimited leg room and ability to get up any time I wanted without disturbing people, and didn’t notice it being cramped.

Even the trip from Munich airport to the hotel was hassle free, though I think this came more down to luck than anything else. I’d planned my packing and Australian affairs rather meticulously, if I do say so myself, however I’d left everything beyond that to “we’ll cross that bridge when we get there”. Getting off at Munich airport and being confronted with German signs that didn’t always have the English translation made me desperately wish I’d planned to do more than just wing it. Opting for a 45 min train ride without a station map and only a vague idea of where I wanted to get off did not help my nerves. Amazingly, the 10 or so words I jotted down on the back of my travel itinerary proved to be sufficient in getting me to the Art Hotel. Unsurprisingly, my first request of reception was a map so I knew where the hell I actually was.

The trip ended with me crashing at 8.30pm and not getting back up til 8 this morning. The buffet breakfast is great and very European (I’m assuming anyway). Lots of breads, cheeses and meats, as well as plenty of fruit and solid coffee. I tried but failed to get into contact with the Immigration department in Augsburg (I need to pick up my work visa) and after a short chat with HR I realise I’m not completely out of the woods yet with getting work sorted. It seems I won’t be starting work at least until the 18th, which is fine by me as I can hopefully use the free week to go have a look at some flats.

I spent a couple of hours wandering through the city centre. Being my first time in Europe, I’m left staggered by almost every old building I come across. No doubt the Marinplatz and Odeonsplatz are definite highlights, the latter not only for the architecture but also because Lamborghini had a display of 5 classics along with the brand new Aventador. However, I didn’t take my camera with me on my first outing so I don’t have anything to show sadly. Tomorrow I’m going to make larger inroads into the Englischer Garten, which is slightly larger than New York’s Central Park. I only touched the southern end of it before turning around, but it looked stunning. It also made me realise there are buskers (such as those in Sydney), and then there are BUSKERS. I first came across a 3 piece band (guitar, box drum and cello) which I thought were fantastic, but these were then trumped by 2 opera singers and a piano.

And that’s about it, hopefully my ranting made for at least semi-decent reading. For the coming weekend I’m expecting I’ll be keeping it pretty quiet. The great thing about moving here rather than just holidaying is I don’t feel compelled to pack stuff into every minute of the day. My head’s still fuzzy at the moment so I’m spending time just acclimatising and trying to work out what will be happening next.

============================================

Mail 2:

Hallo alle!

What the German actually refers to - my residency in Germany has been approved! Along with that I’ve now got my Niederlassungserlaubnis (residence permit) plastered in my passport, letting me live in Deutschland for as long as I want… BAM! And no, I can’t say those words, at least not quickly. The Deutsch love to stick words together, which is going to take a very long time to get used to. Itsbadenough when people do that in English! Also no (specifically for mum), I don’t ACTUALLY intend to stay here forever, but I could if I wanted to… which I don’t… yet!

Stepping back a bit, the fact I’ve got my permit also means I survived the trip to Augsburg. The first few days in Munich were a Godsend, as organising the train and tram to the hostel was a lot easier the second time. Had I tried going from the airport straight here, I would have been stressed out of my mind (even more so)! The train ride itself isn’t bad at all, taking a little less than 45 minutes, and was sped along by talking to a very nice lady who was heading to Augsburg visiting relatives. Given how nice and lively it is in Munich (at least the central area, can’t say I’ve seen a lot of the city), I can easily see why people choose to make the trip daily.

Having said that, Augsburg appears to be a very lovely place, if not a fair bit quieter (though it is now a weekday). I haven’t seen a great deal but what I have seen is as picturesque as it gets. Narrow cobblestone roads make almost every laneway worthy of a picture, although the bubbly stone mixed with tram lines look to create havoc for motorbikes (of which there are many… scooters at least). While the central area appears quasi-touristy, this would appear to only be for the benefit of other Germans visiting the area. For a point of fact, here’s the sign posted outside St. Ulrich’s church (gotta hand it to the Renaissance, they knew what they were doing when it came to churches):

[CENTER][CENTER][/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

There isn’t a scrap of English anywhere (not that Munich was much better) and the people in the few shops I went in on the main street spoke no English either, though I still managed to end up with a tasty pizza!

Depending how time goes tomorrow, I’ll try to move further away from the city centre to find a park or two. After spending 5 or so hours in English gardens last week I’ve got the urge to get away from the cement and stone and breathe the free air again (LOTR reference, another BAM!). Why I may NOT get around to doing that is while I very much want to do touristy walks and jazz, I’m also acutely aware of what I haven’t got prepared for working here. I still need tax info (which I could live without) and a bank account (which I can’t), and I can’t get that until I have a permanent place to live. I’ve talked to one real estate agent who seems to have semi-pricey stuff, but might do for a few months to make the transition less stressful. I’ve also been enquiring about a few places on a German website which lets me talk directly with owners. The up-side – people seem to advertise stuff cheaper, and it saves me possibly paying several hundred Euros in commission. The down-side – it’s all in Deutsch and I can’t tell if people are running scams or that’s just the price of things around here. Still, I’ve been in contact with one person who’ll set me up ridiculously nicely on the main street (fully furnished 2 bedroom) and as long as I’m not just getting scammed outta 800 euro (2 mths rent straight up), I’ll be laughing!

I’m breaking the little flow my email had as thoughts pop into my head (i’ve been writing in parts), but I’m not going to bother trying to mend it and instead just make a small note about the hostel. It’s very plain, but I’ve got a nice view of an old apartment block/hotel (I don’t actually know what it is) which sits across a small waterway. However I am finding it more like a cheap hotel for large groups rather than a hostel for lone backpackers, which is a little different to what I expected. The only people I’ve seen are in groups of 6 or more, and there’s no option to use the kitchen for personal meals, so I’ll be eating out for the next week. However, as I am more or less in work mode (focussed on sorting myself out asap) I haven’t made much effort to find other singles, and am glad I’ve got a room to myself. Assuming I’m not in my own apartment by the end of the week (seems highly unlikely) I’ll be moving to the other hostel in town, where I know for a fact I will be able to cook (that is not to say that I have cooking ability).

While I’ve hardly been adventurous, I am still amazed I haven’t been struck by any major disasters. I can only attribute this to me taking everything I do very slowly, coupled with my standard massive amount of paranoia. Having now said this, I am convinced the place I am hoping to rent is actually property of a drug lord/scheduled for demolition/has a leaking gas line. If there’s news of an Australian killed in an explosion in a small German town, I’d like my remains to be brought back home please!

The only things to have gone wrong so far are the development of some rather painful cold sores (now almost under control) and getting smacked around by flu, which first appeared the last day and a half of Munich, and kicked into high gear the night I got to Augsburg (causing me to sleep for 10 hours). Codoral has kept me soldiering on (immigration took 4 hours, walking around town was another 4) but now my body has really had enough so it’ll be a quiet night (though I plan to get dinner, which I missed yesty) and a late start tomorrow. However, planning to have an early night and actually having one are difficult atm. My body is still tuned in to the early Aussie winter sun-down. This is a view out of my room at 8.30pm…
[/CENTER]
It’s still light til around 9, and the Sun’s back up sometime around 6 I think. So by the time I think I should get dinner, it’s generally been around 10pm.

As a few people have heard on skype (a grand total of 2 people, for shame the rest!) the Germans are very literal in their language. Much like the translated comedies article I sent to some ppl (haven’t had a chance to find it again, friggin hilarious), they take a no-nonsense approach to sickness. The lady in the Apotheke was very confused when I said I needed ointment for cold sores. When she realised I was talking about “blisters on the mouth”, she said “ahhh, you have Lippenherpes”… I am very much in favour of calling them cold sores and am making it my mission that at least a few Germans are saying “kalt schmerzhaft” by the time I’m done in this country.

Lastly I’ll leave you with a picture which I won’t subject the rest of the world to…
[/CENTER]
While neither yours truly shirtless nor a shower make for great photography, I just wanted to point out I believe this to be the first shower I’ve been in where there is zero risk I will smack into the shower head (at least since I’ve been fully grown). At its max position along the rail it’s probably a foot above my head. While I praise this engineering solution, both this hostel and my Munich hotel put SEALANT over the bathroom drainage hole (obviously not the one in the actual shower), giving rise to a flooding potential (Munich especially, since the taps leaked onto the bath edge and straight out onto the floor). This has left me somewhat confused about German engineering prowess. I also realise your brains have probably not taken in a scrap of this last paragraph, as they’re more concerned with the question – “is he pant-less, or did he just take his shirt off for the photo?”. I shall not oblige you with the answer!

For actually purdy pictures, I’m uploading em slowly but surely to the internet. I can’t bring myself to take personal photos (unless they have horror value), so until I actually make a friend (cue sad violin music) all you’ll be getting is landscapes, landscapes and more landscapes. LANDSCAPES FOR ALL! Speaking of friends, as of about 3 hours ago I learned 1 of the two people I know in this town (and the only Australian) has just quit the very company he signed me up with and is leaving for America… THIS DOESN’T HELP MY NERVES! Hopefully I’ll meet up with him for dinner sometime this week and he can give me a reason that isn’t linked to new workplace laws that now mean I must receive 10 lashes every hour on the hour. As long as Bob returns (he’s currently on “holiday”, or is that just another way of saying “fled the country”?) it can’t be THAT bad to work here…

Until next time people, chow!

Good to hear all is well mate ( or getting there).

No doubt its a bit hard fending for yourself for the first time and also being in foreign country lol. Hopefully you link up with your friends/known people and get some tips. Once work starts you’ll be right as that will keep the grey matter churning :slight_smile:

FFS John…Do you think we have all day to read that epic tale!!

Actaully I did read it and Im jealous, not of your lippenherpes but having done a fair bit of Europe myself, I know how amazing it is. The architechture is mind blowing, the people are great and the best part is immersing yourself in a culture where you cant speak the language.

Although I dont miss the breakfasts, crappy bread and usually hard bread, cheeses etc. Wheres the Bacon and Eggs!!!

Keep us up to speed mate and let us know when you have the OE German Divsion set up.

hope all goes well wazza, must have some lolage when you get fully setteled.

also we will demand a video of you riding/killing yourself on the Nruhuhubgnundundinng ring :tongue2:

Oh man, I feel anxious just reading that, I couldn’t imagine what it would feel like to do it for real, exciting but really strange at the same time perhaps. I wouldn’t say no though, I’d just have to bite the bullet, much the same as you have done.

Did you tell the QANTAS nub that you know more about planes than he does? Did you tell him “I practically build these motherfuckers, now get back in your box.” Airbus/Boeing, same difference…

Keep us in touch, I enjoyed reading that immensely.

rofl, I felt like saying something but my carry on luggage was 2.5x heavier than allowed (it was bloody difficult to make it look light when hauling it into the overhead compartments!), so I deemed drawing as little attention to myself more important :sweat:.

No new news at such. 3 days in ze bed tryin to not be sick, awesome stuff! I’m using it to burn through the last of the Stieg Larsson trilogy, which I think’ll be last english books for a while. I met one of my workmates for dinner tonight (the dude that’s leaving). Basically he’s got a young family which hasn’t adjusted to German life at all (spending all their time with the kid means they haven’t learnt any usable level of German in 2 years) so it’s not really working for them. But the other fella I know spends 12 hours a week at language training and is coming along nicely, so it gives me the two possibilities - either just live with english and never fit in, or just dive at it headfirst (what I always intended to do). Thus the decision to only feed my brain german info sooner rather than later.

I’ve also learnt how much english is spoken in the office is entirely dependent on the team you work with. Dave works in a group where everyone else speaks German, and they only make the effort to speak english when it’s directly related to him >.>. Could be awkward.

The upside is I’m working directly with Bob, an American, so hopefully the team’ll speak english (atm it’s just us 2, so that’s a definite!).

Lastly I realise once I’ve got another 3 or so years experience I REALLY gotta try get into the Netherlands, where real contracting is alive and well - one Aussie is over there atm earning 60 euro/hour… CRAZY MONEY (for aero engineering anyways :happy:).

You’ll never guess how i’m spending the rest of my night…

going upstairs, taking some drugs (I hope they’re flu tablets, but it’s all in German and I’m not convinced the chemist knew what I wanted), and reading! INTENSE!!!

Yeah, but you’re doing all that in Germany, still seems cool to me.

Glad to here that you at least get to work with another native English speaker. I’d be busting to learn the language. Although you should throw around the Aussie accented English a bit, you never know, the German Girls may like it, haha.

The upside is I’m working directly with Bob, an American, so hopefully the team’ll speak english (atm it’s just us 2, so that’s a definite!).

Maybe you could learn to speak American?

:wacko:

Just talk very loud!!

The spam continues! Prepare yourselves, this one is freakin lengthy!

Grüß Gott meine Freunde!

Finally set some time aside to write a last massive wall of text, just to let you ppl know I am indeed still alive and finally getting myself into a groove. Unlike my previous promises of a short note, I’m just assuming from the outset this may become ridiculously lengthy yet again (this sentence is certainly strengthening that assumption!). However, this is only because the last 2 weeks have generated some half interesting news. After this time though life feels very much like it’ll finally be settling into a semi-stable routine, which is interesting enough to chat about around the coffee machine at work, but far less worthy of email spam!

Edit: Okay I just got to the end of this email. It’s MASSIVE. Here’s a quick summary – everything is AWESOME, and you can legally ride Quad bikes on the road in Germany. I won’t hold a grudge if that’s as far as you get in this email! Pic link at the end though!

For those of you who missed the previous episodes of the Deutsche saga, the first 2 weeks can be summed up rather quickly:
[FONT=Calibri]- [/FONT]30 hour trips around the world are painful endeavours. Notes for next trip – take more drugs!
[FONT=Calibri]- [/FONT]Central Munich is awesome, even if buying food and a phone become tasks that require a massive amount of planning.
[FONT=Calibri]- [/FONT]Augsburg quieter but still a very nice place to live and enough happening to keep me busy. The only downside being I realised communicating in Munich was actually damn easy compared to the more country town.
[FONT=Calibri]- [/FONT]Flu can keep you out of action for a full week.
[FONT=Calibri]- [/FONT]While I got my visa sorted from the get go, I ended up off work til the 25th.

And that’s about it! Somehow I managed to turn that into several pages of writing, which can be sent on if you’ve got nothing better to do than watch grass grow.

As I said in the last email, starting on the 25th turned out to be awesome, as I jumped on a night train on the 19th to get myself down to Florence, where my cousin and aunt were having a holiday. I had suspected this to be an awesome thing to do, and I wasn’t wrong!

The problem with getting a train ticket on short notice meant for the trip down I wasn’t able to get a sleeper, and instead had a somewhat restless night trying to find the best way to wedge yourself in a seat without drooling on the person next to me, while also dealing with forever increasing paranoia of my fellow passengers. I kind woman thought I would like to know that as we pass into Italy often thieves end up patrolling the train and swiping people’s gear. As I was still living in a hostel in Augsburg I had thought it probably safe to take my valuables with me. So with this woman telling me there was a good chance I’d get my stuff nicked if I wasn’t careful, I had a bag with basically EVERY SINGLE THING that was valuable along with me. It was definitely more this possibility than anything else which meant every creak or knock (of which trains generally have quite a few) had me out of my quasi-slumber and checking my bags were in the same place I put them.

Fortunately my luck continued to hold, and I appeared at Florence at 6.30 in the morn having only lost a decent night’s sleep. Meeting up with Nat and Colleen was bloody awesome. Being able to talk normally and at least be fairly confident they’d understand what I was blabbering about was a very nice change! After letting me pass out on a bed back at their apartment, we went out and explored the central area of Florence. Just… wow. It ain’t hard to see why it’s a bustling tourist destination. For the sake of “brevity”, I’ll try keep descriptions to a minimum, lest I be writing this into the night.

Florence is bathed in history, statues and incredible buildings popping up around every corner. In the time I was there I never got over the fact I could walk half a block from the apartment and be confronted with the Florence Cathedral, a monumental structure adorned with statues of incredible detail. Embarrassingly, I’ve come away without many decent pictures of it, but here’s something at least:

[CENTER][CENTER] [/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]I’m actually in a photo for once! Actual proof I’m not just stealing pics from Wikipedia and making up stuff as I go along! That’s the Duomo in the background, the largest brick and mortar dome in the world. Climbing something around 460 stairs gets you up at the top of the dome, where you get awesome views of all of Florence.[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]
Just a fraction of the façade, which is entirely spectacular. In the background you can see ppl on top of the Duomo.[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

For statues they’re all rather awe inspiring, but seeing Michelangelo’s David in the Accademia di Belle Arti certainly stands out. However, the engineer in me could not help be slightly disappointed that the plaque explaining the crack propagation between David’s foot and the tree stump, and their monitoring system, didn’t have more detail. Can’t please everyone I suppose!

We also took a day trip out into Tuscany, seeing Siena (more incredible churches and ate lunch in the Piazza del Campo, where they hold the famous horse race – the Palio) and San Gimignano (beautiful little town where we had apparently best-in-the-wold gelato, which I can believe!). To top it all off, we went and saw Verdi’s La Traviata in the Boboli Gardens. The fact I hadn’t had a chance to look up the story before getting there, and thus not knowing what on earth was happening for 3 hours didn’t diminish the experience one iota for me.

After the packed 3 days, the trip home was better, however not without some initial worries. I was heading out Friday night to pick up the keys at Satdy midday to my new pad, which would have been tricky if I didn’t make it back as he was heading off for Denmark that night. It just happened that the train workers in Italy had a massive strike planned for that day, so I wasn’t sure if my train would arrive. As with everything else on my Eurotrip, I needn’t have worried – the train appeared, albeit over an hour late. At this point I’ll make a note: Sleeper > standard seat, even if the cabin is less than 6 feet long, forcing me to spend the night with my arms at odd angles and my legs kicked up in the air. Got some decent sleep but got up a bit after 5 to stand in the walkway and take in some scenery. For short trips the overnight train is awesome, but I definitely wanna do some day travelling too, as there’s tonnes to see out the windows.

(okay, failing to keep this even moderately short. If you’re still reading, I congratulate you!)

The apartment = everything I was hoping for. It’s a 20min push bike ride to work, or a 5 min trip to town. The sloping ceilings (top floor) mean it cuts down on the space I can occupy (my bedroom feels something like a cubby hole) but the main lounge/kitchen area is massive, plenty big enough for 1 person. While the thick walls and windows keep out most noise, they aren’t enough to prevent my lack of an “inside voice” being an issue. Went out to a local beer garden with the very nice neighbours from across the hall (sadly they’ve moved elsewhere, am yet to meet the new guy). They noted (without anger fortunately) that I spent a fair whack of time on skype that day, as they had heard mumblings of my half of the conversation for almost 2 hours! Definitely something I need to work on more :P.

Another thing that needs work is my cooking. Not necessarily the quality (nothing incredible, but passable!), but mainly the quantity. I’m yet to acquire a microwave (one of the few things missing from the place) and some of the stuff I’ve cooked I simply decide is too hard to reheat so I eat it all in one stint. Which’d be fine, except i’m yet to make a meal which isn’t topping out at over half a kilo. I’m hoping the fact I walk up 3 flights of stairs to my apartment, 4 flights at work and the push bike will be enough to keep my weight down!

In regards to work, it’s turning out pretty damn sweet, though it ain’t perfect. It’s my first experience of dealing with contractors, and I suddenly realise why many people dislike them. I’m taking over the work of one guy who’s been working on this task for 2 years. He had problems approx. 11 months ago, and they’re the same problems I’m looking at now. This fella has had over 15 years experience, but his work (or rather the lack of it) boggles my mind. I spent my first week and a half just blowing away his smoke screens to try and figure out how much of his stuff is usable. The result – I’m aiming work basically from the ground up and do in 5 weeks what he put off for 2 years. There’s some obvious areas he’s overlooked, and I’m dying to be able to show him up. Whether or not that actually occurs, I’ll let you know in a couple of months!

As background, I’ll be working on transport of the forward Fuselage of the new Airbus A350, from Nordenham (northern Germany) through several cities to final assembly in Toulouse.

[/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]A350 fuse cross section[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]
[CENTER]Fwd fuse without skins[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

The work shouldn’t be particularly difficult, but the timeframe will be pushing it. On the plus side, I’m using the overtime hours to put towards an extra week of holidays come Chrissie (although I should still be here long enough to see the Christmas markets, which are meant to be spectacular)

The facilities are also awesome, although engineering is really cramped. They basically moved us into buildings only really set up for manufacturing, so until the new buildings are ready (should be in 2 years according to the most optimistic ppl, although I’m much more a wait and see kinda guy) we’ll be falling over each other. But the fact is I can walk downstairs to get a drink, and I’m suddenly in the middle of the enormous assembly factory for the lower fuselage shells of A320s and tailcones of A320s and A340s. It’s FREAKING AWESOME. Unfortunately it’s a no pics policy (the only part in the 2 hour security/safety briefing I picked up, which was entirely in German but had pictures to accompany it).

When I get some spare time I need to hunt through the other buildings (the place is massive, over 3000ppl work here) and see what else is going on. I’m dying to get a chance to visit Nordenham, where the composite fwd fuselage of the A350 is assembled. I’ve already seen some pictures from the site and it’s all rather mind blowing. With any luck I’ll be going to Hamburg on Friday to talk to some fellas about the transport solution, but that’s still awaiting approval from up top.

Lastly is the language problem. I still don’t understand a single damn thing anyone says to me, but at least I’m used to that now :P. Work is largely German (who would have thought!) but my boss is Aussie/American, so that makes things easy. No language courses are running until October, so now I’ve settled the apartment down I’m starting on my own material which’ll hopefully give me a boost.

I went last week to get forms rolling for the government to pony up half the dough for the language course but came up against a possible problem. I don’t know exactly why I’ve ended up in this situation whereas the other Aussies didn’t, but I’ve been granted permanent residency in Germany based off my qualifications (I prefer to think the Legend of John’s Awesomeness has spread around the world), skipping the normal 5 years and proof of fluency and local laws. This is awesome on so many levels, but means the Government are almost certainly not gonna grant me money for a course which is in place so people can get the permit that I’ve already obtained. I’m now tossing up whether I should still put in the form and possibly make them question my residency, or just cough up and let it slide.

One last point in this ridiculously long letter, I’ll probably not have anything more than a push bike at least until next year. I’ve met a motorbike rider at work who calls the Alps the greatest playground in the world, where you can ride for hour upon hour on nothing but twisties. But in a couple of months the weather fouls up and then you gotta park the machine for 5 months (depending on that year’s weather of course). Given I’ve got plenty to keep me occupied for now, I’ve decided to wait til the new year before picking up my new pair of motorised wheels. Plenty of time to mull choices! I’m less likely to pick up a 4 wheeled machine, although I almost squealed like a schoolgirl when I saw registered quad bikes being driven around town like any other car. SO. AWESOME.

Wow, that was longer than I even anticipated. If you’ve actually gotten to this point and read everything before it, I salute you! Know too that you can now breathe easy. Now with the apartment almost entirely set up and having 2 weeks of work under my belt, things are falling into a pattern. In time I’ll start doing weekend trips, but for now it’s going to the standard work/eat/learn german/sleep routine. Your inboxes are safe for the time being!

Most ppl already have this, but just in case, I’ve got some albums set up on Google (will update FB eventually).

https://picasaweb.google.com/109517742522365610696

As always, if there are ppl I should be spamming lemme know, and I’m always keen for news from the southern hemisphere!

Tschüss!

On a side note, at some point I’ll be heading back down to Bologna, Italy. Both the Ducati and Lambo museums are there :yahoo:. One of the coming weekends gonna take the train to Munich and check out the BMW museum. Good times :shades:.

I’ve been to florence and climbed that dome but only in assasins creed :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice missive mate, glad its a blast :slight_smile:

On a side note … my eyes hurt now.

Haha, I thought the same thing panther, Assassins Creed.

Wow John, living the dream it would seem (I honestly didn’t mean to make that rhyme). So you actually get to see some assembly taking place, that’s awesome.

I was surprised to hear about your findings regarding the work you are taking over, sounds like the previous engineer wasn’t giving it his all. I’m glad that you are up to the task and (from as far as I can tell since knowing you) have a real passion/interest in your field. Show ze Germans how innovative the Aussies can be!!!

Your trip to Italia sounded great, I have roots there myself so I’ve always wanted to go. Just be sure to take pictures when you go back, I want to see pictures of Lamborghinis and Ducatis. The BMW museum will be eye-opening too.

I’ll excuse your need to now have a FB account, under your current circumstances it seems appropriate that you have one.

Can you highlight the interesting bits please… :stuck_out_tongue:

I spent a couple of days in Florence. One of the prettiest places in the world.

I sat in a cafe in the square and ordered a beer only to relise that if you sit in the square they charge more than they do in the cafes etc in the alleys.

Anyway, $15 fuken $ later Im sipping my beer and some middel easter bloke walks up to an old doorwar which is now sealed shut but is ressessed into the wall about 2ft. He turns and faces the sqaure where there are hundres of people, puts a briefcase down and starts yelling in a foreign language, then walks off and leaves the briefcase there…

FARK!!!

I saw it, sculled my beer, because I wasnt leaving that behind, grabbed the misses and took off.

I was really angry that nothing blew up because I had to scull my $15 beer

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrTUjtPaiPk[/ame]
at the 3 seconds mark, right behind the guy in the blue shirt is the cafe I was sitting in the the dude with thr brief case was about 3 meters from me

Damn, that would of been scary.

Sculling the beer at the risk of getting blown to smithereens = priceless.

I lol’d a bit though because my old man could pass for a middle easterner despite having nothing but Italian lineage. He was probably just some mad Italian speaking Italian, haha.