Quiet cpu cooler

as the title suggests might start looking for one for the htpc any thoughts

Thermalright HR-01 Plus Passive Heatsink for Intel 775 or is that just disaster waiting to happin lol need a quieter one then the stock fan thats on there

If you want a passive HSF, you will need a shit load of airflow going through the case, so much so that the case fans will make more noise which cancels out the reason to do it in the first place imo.

Anything made by Noctua is guaranteed to be silent. Their fans are well known for being quiet, yet they still perform. The quality of their parts are also unrivalled.

(92 mm fan)

(120mm)

(140mm)

If you don’t want to spend that much, any decent 120mm tower HSF will do the job. If the stock fan is too loud, it’s as easy as buying a quiet 120 mm fan and slapping it on.

been looking at these cause i don’t think those noct. will fit in the case

Thermaltake ISGC-400 CPU Fan

only sits 60mm up

Looks good mate, anything will be better than a standard intel/amd hsf. If you can help it though, stick to something that uses a bolt through bracket, rather than putting up with push pins.

Seems to get decent results as reviews have shown. Here’s one I found off their website.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/thermaltake-isgc-400-cpu-cooler-review/

It doesn’t have push pins but it also doesn’t look like it has a backing plate, for the price I wouldn’t be complaining.

That’s still much better than using push pins imo.

yeh cool have ordered though the website reckons it sits 101mm high which should be ok even though on their noct type vertical ones they say they only sit 60mm

been having a bit of trouble with pwrdvd9 as well and MP but i biffed MP and put 1.1 on and fixed 99 percent of bugs i was having, But pwrdvd9 won’t play blurrays properly unless i restart so f#$ks me whats happin there i have removed it and reinstalled though i was having some weird shit with 2 copies some how half installing in differnet places no idea how but i thought i fixed all that up but might give it a reinstall and see how that goes. The blurays show corruption in the video image if i just play them so not sure if this is cause by playing them after its come out of sleep mode or not, it shouldn’t be but who knows

Let me know if you are still having issues after the reinstall, we’ll go from there.

heh think i found away to fix all these issues…reformat inprogress… the straw that broke the camels back was the media portal config program started crashing windows plus i was in the middle of deleting every cyberlink entry in my registry which is about 200 or so lol arrhhh this shithead box is playing with me and the new blue way somehow moved forward don’t ask me how and keeped opening everytime you powered up but thats all fixed moved it back .5 of a millimeter now works like it was meant to

edit: the thermaltake cooler is working a treat will download a temp monitor after i reinstall but in bios was 38 degrees with a 51 deg system temp(case off) (was a hot day)

Sounds like the new cooler is doing its job then.

Format sounds good, I know myself now that MP isn’t that buggy any more, I’ve installed it on 2 PCs in my house, and on 3 other mates’ PCs. Works fine, though it does take a bit of mucking around before everything is 100% which is usually down to codec choice. In saying that, there would be certain hardware that MP would work better with as their would be some that would not work with it at all.

If MP has always played up for you, you could just be one of the unlucky ones. If it only starts to play up after a while, then I doubt that MP is really at fault but rather something else on your machine. I try to keep my HTPC as basic as possible to prevent these sorts of problems.

yep i think mp isn’t at fault cause of me fucking with the registry but cyberlink some how installed 2 versions on it because of something i did when my bluray failed and sadly the OS never recovered lol should be right now