Pc network

Nip I need some help with building a network for a business

It’s a child care center

Basically the way i se it is I need a monitor and keyboard networked to a server in 2 locations plus 2 pcs hooked up to the server

I’m not sure if 1 of the two pc,s is the server or really how to set this up best.

Now there is a hidden agenda. The business is my family business so I will be swapping out parts from my pc and upgrading in the process

I.e new grafix card will be purchased but go into my pc :yes:

Can you give me somewhere to start? Once I understand the layout I can then start choosing the hardware

I need to be ordering parts by next week

PART 2

Summary
1pc in the kitchen, really used to keep a record of the meals etc. This needs to be linked to the sefver running the centre software
1pc in reception used to log people in, pay bills etc., linked wirelessly to the server as well

In the Office
1pc to hopefully act as a server as well and this needs to be set up right
the other PC will be full of parts from my PC - this is where i need you to hook me up with a new MOBO, CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU and SSD - fark its basically a new pc for me…lol

Im trying to work on a budget of less that 6500 and trying to push it towards 5500 but that must include network cards and wireless network.

I’ll help out as best I can, my experience is limited in regards to server setups but it sounds like your case is simple enough.

The “server” can just be a PC, without seeing the software you are using to manage the business, I’m guessing it can be accessed at different sites. I’m unaware of the demand on the server in this situation but I would assume that it won’t be anything demanding meaning any regular desktop PC will be up to the task.

Other than that, you just need a wireless router and wireless adapters, the main part of this server-client arrangement is in the configuration. It almost sounds like you will just need to have a network share so that either of the two computers can access your “child” database.

As for your new gaming rig, I’ve been out of the loop for a bit now (uni) but I’ll have a go. Anyone else with suggestions, feel free to contribute.

As for your office PCs, I’m not sure if you already have them or wanted me to suggest something. Still, you’d be able to build a quad core AMD box for around $500 which will be more than enough.

Does the Mobo have the capability to run crossfire with both cards at full strength?

In relation to the SSD? Do you only really load the operating system on this and everything else is installed on a seperate HD? Why 60gig and not 120?

All 1155 socket mobo’s run 8x/8x when running 2 cards which has minimal performance effect…(I’m running 2 570’s at 8x an socket 1156 with no problems chilli)

Yup ssd for your OS and all games on a different HDD or go a 120g and you can install a couple of games…say like bf3 on it happy days… Games won’t load too much quicker but i just recently got a 90g ssd and will have BF3 installed on it…:wink2:

System looks solid nipper the only thing i’d change would be the gfx card…My Gainward GLH edition (Fan setup looks similar) fans where insanley noisey and I ended up fitting my Phantom cooler to it…Maybe spend a little more and get the msi model or a gigabyte one…

The Phantom was ultra quiet and reasonable cool…

Looks good to me Mac.

Yeah Chilli, the 1155 socket motherboards have no issue running dual graphics cards on 8x/8x lanes. More than enough bandwidth. That motherboard can handle SLI and CF too just to cover all bases.

Go 120GB if your happy with the price, I just selected 60GB to keep the price down, bigger is better!

Thanks guys

So it works out between upgrading mine to a filthy bitch and buildi two more pc’s, one similar to my existing one one a new one similar to what I will have I can do it for approx 3.2k

Basic monitors basic cases and accessories

The only thing missing is the wireless modem/router

Anyone have an knowledge in this department? What type should I get?

There are so many types. What do I need to connect to each pc to have them work wirelessly…an adaptor of some sort I imagine…I think a dongle is what I’m after…I thought I might ask the guys at umart what they think as I’m getting everything else through them

OMG, Im gonna jizz
…just ordered a shit load of stuff and have 3pc’s to build now. New mobo, PSU, CPU GPU and ram for me plus an SSD. Ill load Bf3 on once ive installed it all…sweet…No doubt ill end up calling you Nip during construction…lol

1Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 keyboard$59.74$5.43$59.741Logitech LS21 Stereo Speaker Black$24.72$2.25$24.721Logitech LS11 Speaker 2.0 Black$17.51$1.59$17.512Coolermaster Centurion 5 II RC-502-KKN1 Case Black (NO PSU)$70.04$12.73$140.082SilverStone ST85F-P 850W Strider Plus Power Supply$163.77$29.78$327.542Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500$26.78$4.87$53.561Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCIE HDMI DP $191.58$17.42$191.582Pioneer SATA DVR219L 24X DVD Black & OEM Software$24.72$4.49$49.441Western Digital 500G RE4 SATAII 7200rpm HDD 64MB Enterprise $122.57$11.14$122.572Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3$87.55$15.92$175.102Intel Core i5 2500K Processor LGA1155 3.3GHz CPU$231.75$42.14$463.502Corsair Force SATA3 Series 60GB 2.5 SSD$132.87$24.16$265.742Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 1155 2PCIEX16 SATA2/3 USB2/3$180.25$32.77$360.502Benq GL2440HM 24"W LED G-BLK /2MS /Speak$180.25$32.77$360.501Gainward GTX570 Phantom 1280M DDR5 2DVI HDMI $390.37$35.49$390.371Western Digital 1TB RE4 SATA 64M Enterprise(WD1003FYBX)$204.97$18.63$204.97Total$3207.42

Haha, nice work Chilli.

Basically for your network, you’ll need a wireless router and wireless adapters for each computer that you want to connect to the wireless network.

As you’ve said, there are heaps of different brands and I’m not really sure which is best. Chromium may have some advice here, seem to recall he works/worked for a PC store. As for wireless adapters, you can either buy the type that connect via PCI/PCI-e on the motherboard, or the USB dongle type. They both tend to work well enough.

You can’t really go wrong, choose something from a reputable brand or just ask the umart guys and see what they recommend. I’ve used various brands for myself and friends and haven’t had any drama’s with any of them.

One thing I can’t work out, looks like you’ve bought a 6870 as well as a GTX 570. Now I’m assuming the 570 which is the quicker of the two is for yourself, but what’s the 6870 for? It’s a fairly beefy card if it’s for an office PC.

Call any time, I’m on study break so I’m free whenever.

Im pretty sure all I see is networking in the thread title, and thats what Im going to go by since I am reaaaaaaaally tired.

Ethernet over power adapters.

Do it.

More reliable than wireless.

Only up to 200mbs (plenty usually even for HD).

About same cost per adapter as a decent wireless receiver anyway. (ie: $50 per unit)

New homeplug version works a treat (anything out right now). Plug and play, usually no issues.

The 6870 is for the office but at the end of the day it’s not that expensive and I won’t have to upgrade it for eons. The other pc will have my 4890 in it and I’ll take the 570. Yippee

Again, I take my Hat off to Nipper for being available to help sort out a couple of issues when building the beast. A couple of phone calls later, and she is purring like a kitten.

I do find those modular cables to be tough to work with when they are new as they are pretty inflexible.

BTW Nip, I run BF3 on Ultra graphics settings and it froze a couple of times. I dropping the settings to high and all is good. I dont think being old, short sighted and coloured blind I could tell the difference anyway.

You know your getting desperate though when you start thinking a 2ms screen will give you some advantage over a 5ms screen…lol

with your rig chilli - just get msi afterburner and coretemp along with the 3dmark11 Mac said in chat box and do a few runs of 3dmark in a row. Afterburner will show your gpu working well ( temps,fans etc and coretemp for cpu hsf mounting obviously.

Happy to lend a hand.

With BF3, did it completely lock up or just stutter a bit? Nothing should really make it lock up. If it is, I’d recommend going to the Nvidia website and downloading the latest driver for your graphics card as I’m fairly sure the latest one had tweaks for BF3. I’m assuming that you used the drivers off the disk that came with the card, they would most likely be outdated by now.

Az makes a solid point too, get those monitoring programs and keep an eye on temp whilst gaming. You have a G15 don’t you? If so, those apps can display information on the little LCD screen and give you real time readouts.

got a g510 so ill see if that does it. The latest driver still didnt help but maybe it wasnt the graphics.

Thanks for the advice Chromy. Ill see if I can wire the place up before the put the walls on and get it ready for that.

Chilli, just read a few posts saying that updating to the latest audio driver fixed BF3 freezing for a lot of people.

Download and install this driver.

Probably wouldn’t hurt to have the latest chipset driver either assuming that you used the installation disk that came with the motherboard which is most likely an older version.

Source: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3851#dl

thanks mate