OS Installation

Mr Guru, i has a question:

i went out and bought me some win7 ulti action

my question is it better for me to partition the hdd and install the os on one and keep the other or is that just common myth?

Nipper can correct me, but I think performance wise it won’t matter greatly. Whether this is the same in W7, but in yester year the first partition made on a drive was in the outer sectors, meaning it would be MARGINALLY faster than if it gets buried deeper in the disk.

But I think the main this is to just make it easy when you want to reformat. If it’s partitioned you don’t need to shift all the data on the other part of the HDD.

thank you john u saved me alot of time i forgot that i would only have to format 1 partition

Haha, nice John.

Main reason to do it today is that it just keeps everything tidy on the HDD. Makes it very easy to reformat as the majority of your personal files would be kept on the larger storage partition.

What John said about writing to the outer sectors is also true but I doubt you will ever notice the difference. It’s just a good idea to do it to keep the OS seperate from the rest of the system.

Regardless of the OS, I think you will find that all HDD’s read and write from the outside in, just like a record. Only reason I can think of a HDD being quicker on the outer sectors is because the actuator arm is parked on the outsde of the disk, so it doesn’t have to move as far to start reading. I think we are talking milliseconds here.