Headphones

It looks like i might have a room mate soon so ill have to resort to headphones. Lot of the guys on other promod teams talk about 5.1 and even 7.1 surround sound headphones in the pub servers. Is crazy how they can pinpoint people by noise with them.

Which ones are good, reasonably priced and where can i get them nipper…

whats ya price range, i strongly recommnd NOT getting anything with 5.1 or gaming (and USB connectors aren’t as good as jacks) in its name a good quality brand like sennheiser, beyerdynamics or audio technica are the way to go.

www.headphones.com.au brilliant site

i’ve got these babies and i can tell where people are coming from in COD4 http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=146

as i understand it and i may stand corrected, the numeric isnt the name, it refers to surround sound so you can distintly pinpoint noise directions. There isnt a price range, i willl just buy the pair that will work the best.

no price… http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=178 or just grab the ones i said b4, i love mine, sounds great and comfy as

Hey Tel, if I wanted something that truly sounds good, I would just go with cabbie’s suggestion. I don’t rate SS headphones after reading plenty of negative reviews about them, but if your not fussy, they may suit you.

You will find that the later revision audio drivers have a SS emulation ability option which you can turn on to make any headphone sound like it is surround sound. You will probably find today that most SS headphones are actually only stereo headphones with their own software which makes it sound like you are listening to true ss.

Audio is a very subjective topic, for gaming I think any set of headphones is better than not having any, but if you are an audiophile I’d just go for a quality stereo set.

Just to give you something to look at if you just want to go the SS route regardless, these would be fine.

Don’t expect mind blowing audio quality, but for gaming they will sound as good as anything else considering it is only going to be plugged into your PC.

Fuk, ive never paid over $50.

These look like my next pair. Id prefer better ones but at the end of the day they are only headphones

http://www.ebgames.com.au/pc-147125-GameCom-367-Headset-PC

I just got logitech G35’s, and they are great, 7.1’s if thats what you are Tel, improves noise positioning so you can tell where are people are easier.

Nipnip will need to have a go with my G35’s himself so he can form his own opinion on 7.1 's i think :wink:

I used SS headphones myself rav, I’m not sold on them for the reasons stated above.

The G35 really takes SS to the next level they work so well, and offer such a versitile array of sound, the bass is gr8 2

Before this gets out of hand with people going back and forth stating which headphones are the best with no logical explanation of why it is so, I suggest doing a bit of googling to see what people have to say about the headphones you are interested in. If you are after SS headphones, have a look around to see if people are happy with them, but stay away from genuine audio forums as they all hate them for valid reasons which I’ve explained 100 times already.

I’m honestly not going to suggest you get a proper set of music orientated headphones because I know that you are only really wanting to use them for gaming, a USB headset with virtual SS will be fine for that.

I will just mention that headphones can not produce real surround sound. It can only simulate it, whether that is good enough for you depends on how hard you are to please.

This may help you decide.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2]Indeed stereo headphones are at least as efficient as a 5.1 speaker set in reproducing sound ambiance. This is especially true for games. It is due to the excellent stereo effects of headphones and a perfectible stereo image for computer speakers. And all 3D sound standards like DirectSound 3D and EAX have been designed to designate a 3D positioning with stereo systems. Algorithms used when activating the “headphone” parameters are tried and true and provide a simple but efficient sound ambiance with a correct 3D positioning.

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2]The sound restitution of a stereo headphone is better when rotating around an object than with a 5.1 headphone. Transitions made by algorithms and used with DS3D and EAX are more subtle and progressive than with a 5.1 headphone and the 5.1 activated mode. Technically, 3D sound restitution is better with stereo headphones than with 5.1 headphones. If you add to the equation the better sound quality of stereo headphones, the result seems quite obvious.[/SIZE][/FONT]

http://www.behardware.com/articles/497-8/5-1-headsets-comparative-test.html

G35s got owned in the face, go my Audio Technicas :yahoo:

Haha. I’m not rubbishing anything.

The G35s are priced well and would be a nicely built product like anything from logitech. All I was getting at is that normal stereo headphones are easily as capable of generating positional sound as SS headphones are. But after buying a gaming brand set of headphones myself which cost a fair bit, I used somebody elses set of proper headphones and it made a huge difference. In game, I doubt anybody could tell the difference which is why I don’t think the G35 would be a bad choice, not for the gimmic of surround sound, but because they would be a decent “gaming” headset.

A small difference in quality could be the difference between winning and being a caboose. Yeah fuck the music its about hearing them take one step on the level below me and head shotting them through the floor. Thats how i roll!

Thanks Nipper.

P.S Let nipper answer in his section Carboost :stuck_out_tongue: he provides informative reasoned answers!

:><:

lmao

Yeah well in the end, any set of headphones will work well for FPS. My headphones for instance lack bass and have high treble. Listening to music with them sounds horrible but they work a treat in CoD as you can hear footsteps/bullets/nades/bomb plants very clearly. Also sound good in TS. For what I paid for mine though, I would of been much happier with something like cabbie’s set but you live and learn.

There’s nothing wrong with those, especially for the price. I dare say if mine ever break I’m only going to buy a cheap pair as I ONLY use my headphones for gaming, and my speakers for everything else. TBH they are all you would truly need anyway for gaming. The big difference is that they are priced accordingly, unlike a lot of the other gaming brand headsets that cost twice as much for their “epic guaranteed increase in K/D ratio or your money back”

Ima get those logitech ones i think they look comfy and i game for excessively lengthy periods of time.

They look good and aren’t too dear. Ultra and Rav both can vouch for them.

I only have good things to say about them.

as do i even tho mine dont work atm

i only ever buy cheap ones, this is like my 6th set after the kids constantly destroy them >:| This set they have broken once but been good for the last 6months.

I normally buy logitech gaming ones this time ireally skimped out and spent a whole 20 bucks and they have lasted the longest.

Next will prolly be 7.1 razor ones :stuck_out_tongue: or logitech wireless.

Only prob i have with these cheap ones are they hurt after a few hours :frowning: