FPS Spiking

Hi Nipper was wondering if you had an idea about a problem i’ve been having. Recently, like within the last week, my fps has started spiking whenever I join a server, and now it does it every now and again during the whole time I am playing.

It basically halves my fps, eg. i load up in 250 and it will spiking down to 125 backwards and forwards. The same happens when I load up with 125 fps, it spikes down to 75 backwards and forwards

I downloaded an update for my gpu driver today hoping that would fix it but it hasn’t - do you know any other possible reason for this?

Thanx for any help

Does it do this with any other games? Does it happen when you are only playing MP?

If this is happening on the i7 system you built, CoD4 seems to have a funny habit of jumping about a bit when you join a server, I have noticed this myself anyway. It usually comes right after a minute and it only happens with CoD4 in MP.

If it is only one game giving you grief, the quickest fix (other than googling for one that may be around) would be to just reinstall that game and hope for the best.

If that doesn’t work, uninstall your GPU driver, restart the pc. Download this program and get it to search for the driver you just uninstalled and delete any traces of it. Restart the PC and install the latest version GPU driver you can get your hands on.

See if that makes any difference.

Alright thanx Nip I’ll reinstall cod4 and see if that helps, if not ill do the driver option

EDIT: And yes so far I have only noticed it in cod4 mp, no other game is doing it which is gving me hope that its not a hardware problem lol

its a cod 4 mp thing
done it on my old pc and this one :smiley:

although this one doesnt tend to spike so much mid game where as my old one would spike all the time, so reinstalling cod wont fix it and neither will a gpu driver.

Yep, have to agree with buz on this one. CoD4 MP does it to me, now that I know that CoD4 MP is the only game doing it for you, I’d have to say that it’s the game.

Very slim chance that it is anything else that is causing the issue, not saying that it’s impossible, but I think you’ll find that it is just the game.

Well I tried MW2 and it was doing it in that as well, and the spiking actually got worse over the few days/week that I had it. And it had only just started happening, if it was like it from the beginning I would agree, but it just randomly started.

But you’re right in that reinstalling cod4 + graphics drivers + audio drivers didnt do anything, in fact after i installed the latest graphics drivers a new problem started. The screen would go blank every now and again and say that the graphics card has recovered from a problem. So who knows shrugs

I took it into the place i bought it from today and he is checking out hardware + software to see if he can figure it out, i cbf and they do this for free. He said he is familiar with this sort of problem with cod4 but that he will check it anyway, he thought it might be the memory but i dunno

i got spiking in all my games and i know that u dont wanna hear this but my card was faulty, after i got a new one all my spiking stopped

Could possibly be a hardware problem then as Ultra suggested, most likely the graphics card. It shouldn’t play up with MW2, it is seamless on my PC which is based on the same chipset as yours (the X58).

Good to know that you have free customer service with it, they should be able to sort it out for you easily enough. Seems that getting the system built for you has had its advantages.

Well I spoke to soon Nipper, it has been a shit fight since i dropped it off. So far he has checked the memory and checked the graphics card using 3D mark … and thats it

To cut a long story short, there has been a lot of back and forthing, he abused me over the phone for wanting our computer back, and I’ve had to speak to their head office who today after speaking with the guy who has our comp, said that all their information (info on memory and gpu??) tells them there is no problem and that its me being too picky …

They’ve tried to tell me that its my internet connection, me having graphics set too high, and other random things to get out of even searching for a problem - despite the fact that it only started happening a week ago … sigh

Whoever warned me about going to ARC, i wish i listened to you … after this i will never have any dealings with them, and i’m definatly taking this further if it doesnt get sorted.

I mean, i dropped it off saturday and by this afternoon nothing had even been resolved or found out, and i was basically told i’m the problem and not their computer.

My parents went in and got the comp tonight because we really needed it and i wasnt comfortable leaving it with this guy any more, and they’ve sent our gpu away to be tested cos he cant do it. He loaned us a 9800 to do us till we get ours back, but i just started up cod4 and its doing the exact same thing, so it must be something else doing it.

So i am at a loss. but theres no chance im giving it back to them without doing some research myself this time, i’m gonna go over you’re programs list Nip + google and see if i can find some programs to test my cpu + mb

Sorry to hear.

I replied to your other thread before I saw this post, so disregard what I said about the graphics card as you have already said that it does the same thing with a separate card. I’m wondering though if driver is correct for the different card currently in the machine though, probably wouldn’t hurt to do another driver sweep. Though I’ve noticed lately that Nvidia just release a single driver to cater to most cards, so it’s probably not an issue.

You can rule out latency if you are noticing the spiking in Single Player games that are not dependent on Internet latency in order to get smooth play.

I’d take out a stick of RAM, see what happens, if nothing changes, change the stick of ram for the one you took out and try again. Other than that, might be related to drivers/bios like I mentioned in the other thread.

Can you give me a more indepth explanation of what is exactly happening so I can have a look around for others that have had the same issue? It would be a good idea for you test on a SP game as it will rule out bad latency which I know first hand can make games go at a snails pace.

not the pcie slot ?

whether that would / could do something smilar …

only cod games doing it … or is it happening in HoN and other games you play too ?

its a cod4 problem, every1 in the last few weeks has been getting it. its a slight lag that looks like fps screwin up but its actually slight lag spikes, im suspecting master server going to screw up again

I think she has said before that it happens to other games too though. I can’t remember now, but using CoD MP is not a good way to determine whether the problem is fixed, as it spikes for a lot of people with perfectly fine computers.

Well I tried MW2 and it was doing it in that as well

I don’t get it at all with MW2 SP, once again if you tested it via MP then the results are going to be dependent on your ping. Can you specify whether this was in MP or SP, as if it only does it in MP, it’s your net, not your PC.

Nip the fps will jump from whatever fps i have it set at to half of that fps, and just go back and forth like that every second for about 30 seconds. then it stops for a while but starts back up again.

For example. when i have it set at 125 fps, it jumps from 125 to around 70, but when i have it set at 250 fps, it jumps from 250 to 120

it began only doing it wen i first loaded a server so i brushed it off as first round lag, but now it does it the whole time i am playing, with 5-10 minute breaks between “attacks” lol

ive spoken to a few people who have the similar problem, which made me think it was just cod4, but they said their spiking wasnt so exact and that it only lasted around 20 seconds and then stopped, whereas mine keeps happening - however it does seem likely that it must be internet related now that i really think about it, since the graphics card didnt make a difference, but i dont think its my internet specifically

And Az, no it doesnt do it in hon but i was thinking perhaps its just graphics intensive games its doing it in?

So far I have only noticed it in cod4 MP and codmw2 MP, however i cant be sure about mw2 as i dont have an fps indicator in that 1 - but they are the only games i have noticed it in, and SP in both doesnt do the same thing

I just opened up cod4 sp and it was sort of doing the same thing, however i suspect it might just have been the card being of lower range quality. i had the maxfps set to 125 and it was rolling between 70 and 125 but it wasnt the jerking fps spiking, it was more slower and less noticeable

I did the driver update for the new card as well, and nothing changed,
which i didnt think it would anyway since as soon as i loaded cod4mp it was doing the exact same thing

The guy at the shop said he had checked the memory but i will give wat u say a go and see if that helps

i am really at a loss, this only started 2 weeks ago randomly so either it is cod4mp and i have been a complete idiot or there is some setting or somethin on my comp which is making it worse

Try running a vantage benchmark and tell us what score you get, also watch the benchmark from time to time to see if it is spiking.

I’m thinking you may be having network related issues, whether it be due to the internet, or your router. Do you use a wireless LAN or are you connected directly to the router? Have you tried cutting the power to the modem/router and restarting them?