F&^%ing BD drives

hey nip not that you’d know but this issue is starting to piss me off, Don’t know it i told you my BD drive died in the arse (bdc-so2 pioneer) took it back umart basically gave me my money back because the so2’s aren’t being supplied anymore. So reorder the BDC -202bk (which to my knowledge is almost the same drive just OEM version) plugged it in pc picks it up fine can play dvd but pwrDVD 9 crashes on BD play back. Tried running it as administrator,reinstalled pwrdvd to no avail. the so2 worked flawlessly. the only thing i can think of is video card seeing i think i read some where it requires blah blah to run even though my MB with the onboard is designed for BD playback suppose i should rip out my 8800 to see if this is the case unless you have any ideas

Hmm, the only other thing I can think of that could cause issues is whether your entire pc is HDCP capable. You can determine this by bringing up the nvidia control panel and going to the “view HDCP status” link on the left hand side. If it says “your graphics card and display are hdcp capable” then that isn’t the issue. That won’t rule out any dodgy hardware though.

If I were you, I’d uninstall powerded and reinstall it, may just be that stuffing around imo. Make sure your BD drive has the correct region set up also.

yup done all that cept the nvidia but i did down load bd advisor(cyberlink tool) which says your ace at playing bd’s think my mobo has an intel graphics chipset in it

Won’t hurt to try really, chuck the 8800 in there and see what happens. Does it do the same thing if you use PD9 to play a DVD as opposed to a BD?

nah pwrdvd will play dvd’s fine just crashes under BD playback as in it doesn’t play back at all. i know the 202 and s02 have different firmwares but there pretty much the same drive

That’s strange, I’d be looking for a later version of Powerdvd, maybe your BD drive isn’t compatible? Try looking for a newer firmware for your BD drive also. This is one of those problems when you just have to go through everything to find the source of your issue.

already came with the latest updates will keep look i’ll pull the 8800 next time i get a chance probably next week

and another question if i wanted to have a wireless router setup at the phone line and another setup at the htpc is it bridge mode i want or repeater? Thinking About getting 2 cheap N routers to do it

Assuming that the one at the phone line is the one that will have the ADSL modem connected to it, you will want to set the ADSL modem to “bridge.” You then configure the internet settings through the wireless router and not the modem. All your port forwarding, security settings, firewall customisation is done on the router. As far as you are concerned, when you set the modem to bridge, it is not there anymore, it’s only job is to capture the ADSL signal and give it to the router to do everything else.

You then need to receive that signal, you can either use a wifi card, USB wifi adapter, or a wireless access point that has “client mode.” Setting a WAP on client turns it into a receiver instead of distributing the wireless around the house.

Most wireless routers will let you do this, though routers are usually dearer than WAPs, though if you get them cheap, go for the routers as they can do more.

Also, all repeater does as far as I can remember is pick up the wireless signal and redistribute it as to boost it further.

yeh i can get 2 n routers for about 150 bucks(which the N adapters are around 75 bucks neways) was originally looking at the asus 520 which is a G router but runs faster then 54 as they were only 38 bucks each. got the BD issue sorted flashed my MB bios and everything sweet fucking thing

Is that 150 for both?

Good job getting the BDD going. That was a bizarre problem. Funny that it worked for DVD but not bluray. If I ever come across that problem, I’ll remember this, though I usually upgrade my bios on a semi regular basis anyway.

only flashed it less then 6 months ago for win7 though i have onboard vid which maybe why it was crucial. 75 bucks for each router http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=122&bid=5&sid=34897

If you can put one of those in client mode then you will be laughing. It’s a pretty common thing these days but I can’t be 100% sure if all routers can do it, I know my Linksys router can. That’s something you may want to check first, otherwise you won’t be able to get it to work.

Found a review on it.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30615-netgear-wnr2000-wireless-n-router-reviewed

Can’t see them mentioning client mode anywhere, it doesn’t even support bridge mode, but there are other ways around that.

You MAY be able to buy this router and get it to do what you want, though it is still a bit of a gamble. If it is version 1.0/1.1 then you can flash the firmware to DD-WRT which supports a greater number of features than the standard firmware. This may very well allow you to set the router to wireless client mode.

You can see from this link, that the DD-WRT firmware supports client mode.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#Features

You can use their database search to find compatible routers. I personally use a firmware for my WRT54GL called “Tomato” which is another 3rd party firmware. Though obviously from the name of my router, it already came with DD-WRT firmware on it, which is why it could do everything.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database