Battlefield Heroes Rant

Anyone else played it yet? I thought i’d give it a go since it’s free, so here are my thoughts.

Short version: Don’t bother.

Longer version:

You really do get what you pay for.

Firstly, the whole system is made of fail. You pick a class and faction when you create a character, and you can’t change it. You can have multiple characters, but you only gain xp/unlocks/items/etc with one at a time. Which wouldn’t be an issue except for the fact that you can’t swap characters mid game. So if the teams are stacked, you can’t swap to balance them unless you happen to have a character on the opposite faction and are willing to disconnect, swap characters and rejoin. Also, it means that if everyone on your team is a heavy, you can either just play with a full team of heavies (booooring) or disconnect etc as above.

And this is all provided that you can FIND a good server in the first place, as the only way to do so is with an automatic matchmaker. You click play and it picks a server for you and you have no say in the matter.

Oh and i should mention that it seems to be horrible at actually FINDING servers in the first place. At least 50% of my attempts so far have thrown me into empty servers and i’m sure there are more maps, but in 8 games i’ve only seen 2 of them so far.

Should have been “My First Battlefield” rather than Heroes. They intended to make it more “fun” for everyone by removing one-hit kills entirely (apart from running someone over in a vehicle) The idea being that getting killed and having no idea where the shot came from is frustrating, so they’d lower the damage enough that one hit kills wouldn’t be possible. Not the worst idea i’ve ever heard, but they went too far with it. Waaaay too far.

You have HP ranging from 80-150 depending on class and the sniper rifle will deal damage somewhere in the 30s for a headshot. Yep, you need to hit even the weakest classes 3 times in the head to score a kill. Better bring lunch if you’re trying to snipe a heavy.

So i think ro myself; fuck it, i’ll sneak up on the bastard and plant a knife in his skull. Wrong again, stabbed him in the back 3 times before the noob even turned around, and it took another 2 stabs to finish him off. (And in the time it took me to stab him twice more, he’d emptied 20-odd rounds into my chest at point blank and i still had over half my health)

So i swapped to a heavy character, figuring that if the bullets were so weak, i’d compensate by putting a LOT of them in the air with the minigun. The minigun, however, only hits for about 6dmg. 8 with a headshot. So it takes a good 5 seconds of continual fire at close range to actually drop someone.

I realise the game is still in beta, and it’s free but still…

FUCK.
THIS.
SHIT.

yeah i joined a server … lasted 5 mins and deleted it …

what could have been a good winner … ended up a shit box … but hey… you get what you pay for lol.

played it for a few hours …hated it by the end.

lol I noticed the release a while back, but similar forum rants have kept me away :ermm: