Video Cards

Fuk, if you stop watching the changes for a few months there is so much research to catch up.

Lots of 2g cards now but I understand they done really use the mem anyway or has that changed and these are now the prefered option.

Has gaming graphics changed that much that these new top end cards are really required. I mean we are all still playing the same game but technology is xcellerating.

Of course BF3 on high with high FPS will test a few cards but I dont see the point.

The again maybe a few extra FPS would make my KDR better…probably not…lol I think not drinking would help but thats not going to happen.

[COLOR=yellow]Anyways, whats the best option for under $200… [/COLOR]

I think my MOBO has the second slot at 4x so no point running two cards if one is not going to be used fully.

EDIT -

Ive compared the
Sapphire 6870
Sapphire 6950
EVGA GTX 460
ASUS GTX 560

Seems to me the the 6870 is better that both the GTX 460 and 560 and the 6950 is marginally better that the 6870.

With the 6870 @ $199 it looks pretty good.

Feedback appreciated.

6870 and the standard 560 are pretty much the same in terms of power, AMD does do well in BC2 so 6870 is reckon is ya best bet. Though if you can snag a 6950 for cheap go for it.

Though for $200 or less 6870 is ya best bet. I’d put in an extra $30 for this :stuck_out_tongue: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_877&products_id=16894

or play it safe and get this http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_877&products_id=17857

As for cards with 2GB of RAM, a bit of overkill is never going to hurt especially if the price is similar to the same card with less RAM. The only time when I deliberately don’t opt for the card with the largest amount of RAM is when the price is ridiculously high compared to the standard card, whilst offering no other improvements.

As for which card I’d go for, probably the 6950 (either 1GB or 2GB) I’d go 2GB if you were gaming at a higher resolution than 1080P.

If you are gaming at 1920x1200 or lower, and are on a budget, get the 1GB version. If you love the high levels AA eye candy, or game at higher resolutions go for the 6950 2GB model.

go the 560

I bet my left nut that bf3 will be the same as bc2 for card bias.

Ati has the grunt but fails on load up and the what not - thats what ive whinged about in other threads with my desire to get back to nvidia.

Thats if your buying new.

Dont forget your OCAU acc mate … $200 will go much further on there than umart :slight_smile:

Yeah its second hand … but buy a card with warranty - no issue. If no receipt available… then get a gigabyte as i know first hand they rma via SN from manufacture date - video cards are 2 yrs rather than mobo 3yrs.

My card cost $260 a fair while ago now… bargain and a half as they are now in demand and are getting $300 :slight_smile:

BC2 from what i remember what bias on ATI

Where on OCAU do you find the items that are for sale? Couldnt see anything?

you need to have 50 posts and be a member for 3 months

Ive been a member for a while…so spam the site you reckon…FFS.

you dont need a single counted post to utilise the sale section. Simply 3mths registration.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/announcement.php?f=3&a=12

Did this end up getting resolved for ya mate?

It updates every 15mins so if you cant see it yet, just stay the forums logged in for that long and then it should be good to go ( maybe logout/login after)

Otherwise pm Ma Baker and let her know - she will be able to help

I haven’t looked for a while. I’ll check. Thanks for the follow up

Okie now I have a single 5870 ATI Radeon Sapphire and I AM going to upgrade but the question is should I go Gainward GeForce GTX 580 Phantom 3GB. I haven’t heard much about them and I dont want to step on a landmine. So does anyone have any advice?

Hey wolf i’ve got a gtx570 phantom awesome cooler nice and quiet so big thumbs up from me… :wink2:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the brand, have had a gainward in the past that is still going in another PC. Nothing wrong with that much GRAM aslong as you are not paying a huge premium for it as it will not add that much to the overall experience.

The cooler on that card looks awesome, same as Mac had on his 570 and if I recall, he said it was fairly quiet. You are paying roughly $100 more for that card than a base model equivalent, it’s whether you think that is worth it for the better cooler and extra RAM. I think it doesn’t seem too bad. Just putting it out there in case you missed it, but it’s also a triple slot card so make sure you have the room for it.

Ty for the advice and now my little baby is on its way into my arms. Going to be huge difference from my 5870 which will only give me 40+ frames on BF3 at low… So gay…

I run 5770’s Crossfire and get 55-90 fps everything set to high, I reckon that 5870 should do better than that.

5870 should do heaps better than that !

Running latest drivers etc?

i’d save some money and grab the 1.5gb 580 if ya can

and my 5870 gives me 50+ on high XD at 1920x1200