The Motorsport Thread!

yeah i agree nip … for too long the driver aids have been assisting the drivers to the point that it was really coming down to $$ on setups and the car race day setups that seemingly decided results … rather than a big emphisis on the drivers full ability to outdo the rest ( still ahving a top setup of course).

Yep, that is true motor racing. Let the driver “drive” the car, not the other way around.

I dont know about KERS, everyone can have it, only a few teams choose to use it (Ferrari, Mclaren) but, its not used for 100% of a lap. Remember KERS has the disadvantage of making the car heavier, whereas the new splitters that the RedBull + Brawn cars are using dont.

Im pretty sure they’re abolishing KERS next season anyway, but i can’t be 100%, i follow the V8SC mainly :slight_smile:

yes that is true, did you see the last GP?

If Kimi didn’t have a KERS enabled car he never would of overtaken Fisichella on the straight. Fisi finished the race only one second behind Kimi so the extra weight obviously was keeping the Ferrari in range of the Force India but it would of been interesting to see if the Ferrari would of won without it as I highly doubt he still would of been able to overtake in the same place.

In any case, I think it has been pulled for the next season. I was over the moon when they got rid of TC and LC, they are not needed in any car.

Thats true, however Spa is one of the few circuits where KERS advantages outweigh its disadvantages. The cars are under alot of downforce during the long straights, and sitting on the rev limiter for a long time. Wind KERS up down the hill, you’ll go alot quicker then any car, period.

haha, without a doubt. The 80 hp (I think that’s right) that those cars gain when they press that little button looks very dramatic on the flats, let alone down hill.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAzfjO7Ot8w[/ame]

that is the best vid I could find unfortunately but it shows the overtake. I know KERS was introduced to encourage overtaking but it’s not making the sport any better. He is clearly catching him up the hill but I would take it that he isn’t using kers there as he looks like he saved it for the actual over taking manoeuvre.

I still miss the days when Schumacher used to dominate, that was the utmost peak of enjoyment of F1 for me. The first time I went to albert park was like I died and went to heaven. Been back a few times since, if I lived in melbourne I’d go every year without fail.

I’m a Ferrari fan but I don’t think Kimi deserved to win that race, for Fisichella to miss out on winning is truly a shame as he doesn’t have a lot of wins under his belt and I think he will retire soon.

The KERS created an opportunity that would otherwise not of been there imo.

Anyone watch the V8s yesterday?

What a crazy race, real tough luck for 888, but i think Lowdnes tyres were going when he had to force past Tander.

sure did … good to see big Tander back up there with Will :smiley:

HRT were struggling with balance issues i think. They had a quicker car when it was heavier, easily taking .5 of a sec per lap off the 888, until the 888 lost some fuel, when it evened out and started to take the advantage back.

It was good quality racing, no aids (Looking at you KERS), just driver skill, bring on Bathurst, hope HRT get it right there.

Nah, Lowndes/Whincup will take 4 on the trot. Unfortunately didn’t get to see the race, probs a good thing as I would have been almost in tears seeing it happen live :frowning:

I only caught glimpses of it as I wasn’t home, only really saw the qualifying races, missed the main race.

Yeah, unless something goes wrong with their car (Which theyve said a few times now they’ve fixed the majority of big issues with it) then i can’t see them losing, they’re too strong.

Hope it’ll be close though

it’ll be close enough … tander and davidson will only win by 20-30 seconds

lol

Thats fairly close if you consider the total race time.

I hope you’re right though

Watched the race last night (some bits in fast forward, recorded it) and FMD Steve Owen is a wanker/useless. Blocking on lap 21 of 113 lap race…yeah that’s generally a smart thing to do Steve, that’d be why you’re a regular driver in the series… McConville is lucky to be alive/escape uninjured really considering how close he came to being cleaned up by Bezzy.

That crash was horrific. McConville gave Owen a serving.

“It’s any wonder he struggles to get a regular drive,” McConville said.

Owen later described McConville as the “the whinger of the year.”

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/mcconville-blasts-owen-after-v8-crash-20090913-fm21.html

Owen’s a wanker really. Was crapping on about how it was a hollywood move that you don’t make at the start of a race, McConville was on the grass etc. Only reason he was on the grass ****head was because you were, and had been, blocking him for 8 straight laps. Loved how Cromly pretty obviously thought he was a wanker too judging by his comments after they’d interviewed Owen.

Forgot to say anything about it after the race last night but how good is the new Dhabi circuit, it’s awesome imo.

Last few laps between Webber and Button was possibly the best racing I had watched all season, Webber really deserved 2nd place for holding off Button, though Button’s car transformed on the soft rubber, he reeled Webber in like no tomorrow.

Fantastic finish to a decent season, was great seeing Button get what he’s always deserved, my opinion of the Brawn F1 team couldn’t be any higher, Red Bull has also climbed very high in my book. Never thought I’d be saying it but Ferrari have really let it go big time, I can’t remember the last time when they were this uncompetitive. Hoping for a change next year with Alonso.