Struck by lightning

So you were probably wondering what happened to me after 5 minutes in our game tonight? haha

Lightning struck.

So pc went haywire and then i turned it off after i smelt the smoke :ermm:

Turned it back on and it gets to the loading operating system then says load boot disc and press enter. I only have the original win7 disc so not sure if thats what it wants?

Next issue is, i cant press enter as it doesnt recognise my keyboard, cant even enter bios.

Ive tried the keyboard and mouse on this laptop and all good.

Have i fried motherboard? It turns on, all fans work, i can feel HDD and DVD spinning, tv card turns on, and gpu also turns on. So it seems everything works apart from data transfer and input signals. I thought it may have been the HDD but no keyboard controls points more at the motherboard.

Any help appreciated, i havent got any spare parts here to try unfortunately.

GG:mad2:

smelling smoke isnt good

Take the case off and have a good look at the mobo for scorching. If there isnt scorching- when you power it up check for led’s warning you of a component problem ( cpu,ram,gpu etc)

If it seems to all power up … id turn it off fully and then take the cmos battery out. Leave it for a min or so and put it back in and try to power it up.

try other usb ports if the normal one doesnt work to get the kb working.

Problem with this is you never know if it affected more than one part.

Sounds like motherboard issues.

Insurance?

Thats right - I got a dead gpu and 1 crapped out bios on my mobo from the zap zap

Got it started . . .

Looks like a dead sata cable, 2 dead sata ports, NO BIOS, dead network adapter, dead ethernet side of modem, 1 dead fan, and looks like it may have killed my data HDD.

So ill get a new motherboard and some cables and see what happens.

Not sure when this will happen, short on cash atm, so count me out for awhile . . .

uh, do i have a problem? Where do get a 1156 socket motherboard these days? Seems they are outdated already. Will 1155 socket work? To suit core i5 750

They’re pretty hard to come by it seems. They’re not compatible. I’d chase down one of Az’s super-secret forum contacts :wink:

Yeah mate 1156 is EOL and not been stocked for some time.

Ill have a look later for some boards otherwise your best bet is 2nd hand through me via OCAU imo. Will do some looking for ya :slight_smile:

Well i fittted a USB ethernet adapter, works good :smiley:

Same speeds as before.

Ill hopefully sort which sata cable/ports are dead, and try to fire up the other HDD on the weekend.

And ill have to deal with no bios. Its sitting at 3.2 clock atm anyway.

So for now, i guess im back in business :smiley:

no bios would mean no mobo … unless you have dual bios ?

well i cant enter it on boot up, so i dont know. All good but, thats just a luxury i dont need atm. Just happy to be back online again.

I might have a board for you mate.

Not 100% on having the deal, but $75 delivered for this : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3160#sp

No cables or anything but from a working pc. Decent board from memory - equal to my ASUS P55 PRO which I loved. Good features and gpu upgrade options

let me know mate :slight_smile:

Yeah looks good. I could pay for it this friday. I run the UD3 atm.

Sorry mate - Was just shy of getting it :frowning:

Will keep my eye out ( might actually put a want to buy thread up )