Show Us your Rigs & General Tech Chat

yeah stuff auto :yucky:

Id have to check but i would assume the p67 asus use the TurboEVO … get him using that if he wants to OC. You set a 24/7 up in bios … then in windows he can dick around with the turboV and if it hangs … restarts back to the saved bios profile anyway.

Yeah im hopeful a couple more parcels arrive by the w/e … would be good to have the full w/e to tinker :slight_smile: DIdnt get the gem 920 … have had to take a lottery one ( no batch results on net) … which will be better anyway… finding the limits without knwoing how it should fare roughly is more fun.

Be nice to experience the new UEFI setup, something different.

Definitely more fun, I never bothered trying to get a specific batch of CPU, fair enough a specific revision or stepping.

Auto overclocking can work but from what i’ve and you guys have seen it normally adds way too much voltage for a average overclock and its heap better finding the limits by yourself…:wink2:

Hey, i found another 22in LCD 1680x1080 monitor on ebay. Its a refurbished Dell E228WFP for $135. Do you guys think i should grab it to complete my 3 monitor setup? do you have any other suggestions?

If it works fine, then sure. If you are after monitor recommendations then somebody else here would surely know more than I on that topic. As long as a monitor has a suitable resolution, reasonably low backlight bleeding, and is CHEAP, then that’s what I go for.

From reading a review : http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/monitors/dell/e228wfp/219090/specs#info_bottom

Seems liek a nominal 22" … not awsome… not shit.

$135 for a refurb/2nd hand 22" monitor is getting up there in price but the non widescreens are getting rarer to find too. If you want the eyefinity loving… go for it imo ( still saving ~$50 off a new one).

Best be taking a photo or 3 when ya get this monster built - gonna look shit hot for sure!!)

Since removing the Intel Sandybridge motherboards from the site yesterday, we received an overwhelming response from those who would be unaffected by the design flaw and want to get up and running with their Sandybridge system now. After all, if you don’t intend to use the SATAII ports, a Sandybridge system delivers awesome performance for the money. As such, we have decided to make these boards available for those who want them. In the event of an official Australian recall, we will permanently remove these from sale. If the SATAII issue affects you in the future, you always have the option of exchanging your board for the new revision once they become available in April.

Reassuring for anyone who has bought one and wants to swap it over. I guess it will cost you to ship it back but that’s reasonable.

This has been brought up before, but these look like a fantastic water cooling kit for the money. The reviewer doesn’t sound like he plays with a lot of water cooling gear, but the pictures are good. The inside of the XSPC block looks like a clone of the Swiftech XT which isn’t a bad thing. Never read or heard anything about the pump, if it’s reliable, then great. If it isn’t, a replacement MCP 355/ MCP 655 and a res brings makes the value of this kit diminish.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/frontpage/?q=XSPC+Rasa+750+CPU+watercooling+kit+review&page=0%2C0&

Had my first taste of Sandy Bridge OC’ing today. They don’t disappoint. Within 30 minutes of entering the bios, we were sitting on 5.00GHz stable under 10 LinX runs. Voltage was at 1.408 which is higher than I would normally sit at, but temps came in at 67’C max with a loop that only has a dual rad. I have a screenie, but when my mate took it, he let the CPU drop back down to idle, so I’ll get another later.

It’s such an easy thing to OC that it is almost what I would consider boring if it wasn’t for the awesome performance. Basically set the Turbo multi to 50, set the CPU offset to about 0.1V and the Turbo voltage to ~0.8V (This CPU would usually sit at ~1.2V from stock). The voltage could be dropped a fair bit but my friend wasn’t interested trying to refine it and it’s not worth my trouble trying to convince him. It is the perfect system for a lazy person, no effort needed for 5.0GHz at all. Whether he had a peach of a CPU, I’m not sure as I haven’t been following how they’ve been clocking, but I think he’ll be able to hit a higher clock speed on the current voltage settings he’s using now.

2600K on an ASUS P8P67 PRO btw.

very nice.

From reading it a fair bit, certainly a good chip he scored… alot are hitting 4.8 on similar volts but not getting the new “magic” 5ghz). For a new sys or upgrade from 775/older amd… its certainly good value thats for sure.

I honestly think he’ll hit 5.2 easily, maybe even more. I’ll get a proper screenshot next weekend if I’m out there just to confirm it. I couldn’t believe it worked so easily, I was sceptical when he put the multi up to 50 as a joke, just to see what it would do. The first test failed after a couple of runs which is more than I thought it would do (thinking it wouldn’t even boot). Amazed by this I recommended that he pump a tiny bit more into the Vcore and Turbo voltage and taadaa, 10 runs stable, H/T on too btw.

Ht on at 5.00ghz wow nice very impressive.

CPU and mobo arrived today WOOT

motherboard was wrapped in 1 layer of bubble wrap in a box … and low and behold… bent fucking cpu pin… fukin wanker.

wow that’s crap Az :mad2:. what’s the plan?

straighten it heh

or fail and buy another i guess lol

The joys of 2nd hand parts…Hope it all works out m8.:wink2:

Yep … there are good traders and then fucking assholes.

Im pretty sure ive got the pin sorted … and have looked under the padding for the accessories… nothing. no io shield, cords … nothing.

Oh, and to top the night off, the 2nd pcie card retention clip isnt there.

Im not the only one burnt… hes done a runner it seems after selling a heap of gear lol… took the cash and ran.

Looks like the x58 will be waiting a bit at this stage.

the packaging … mmm mmmmmm

bent pins :

pcie clip :

Also, the air cooling attachment for the mob doesnt have its bolts… so no using that either lol.

Not sure if you can see it , but on the cpu mounting mechanism ( metal shroud that holds the cpu in), the inside is covered in TIM. its fucking everywhere lol… he must have used a tube of the shit on 1 mount lol.

What a dick, he’s rough as guts. That’s terrible packaging for a motherboard. Too bad I’m not interested in selling mine, still have all the original packaging, but I’m a pedantic guy, haha.

FMD, there’s a lot of TIM on the CPU retention bracket, that bloke has no business building his own PCs…

IT POSTS

just ran it on the old w7 install and it loaded up… at least i got that sorted. Still grumbling over the rest though. Now to load F12 bios ( its got f4), format and install w7… then everything else… and stress it all to make sure its good… then oc the shit out of it lol.

need to look at the f-connectors for power start up as thats not working atm… good thing the board has its own power switch for the time being lol.

No doubt im in for fun scrounging the bios to get shit working lol

Just want to make sure its all good then im selling it ( prob $80-100) as im not using the 2nd pcie slot without a clip … and im not going back to 1 card lol.

Hey Nip, you run yours without the big poassive heatsink bolted on dont ya?