RC Cars/Planes

So yesterday I took my first step into the Remote Control World, and ordered a Traxxas 1/16th Mini E-revo (brushless).

Quite excited about it tbh, capable of speeds up to & over 30mph out of the box with a 6s NiMH battery, but the things just get insane once you start putting Lipo packs into them (60mph plus). Few awesome clips on youtube as well for those who may be interested :stuck_out_tongue: - [ame=ā€œhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB4ZBtbKAZgā€]Insane mini e-revo[/ame] [ame=ā€œhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uptg5q5OHSQ&feature=fvwā€]60mpt+ Mini E-Revo VXL[/ame]

Pretty crazy how much cheaper things are to order from the US though in terms of RC. For the new 2.4ghz radio models, had to fork out 370 (inc postage), yet in RC stores in Australia, the cheapest Iā€™ve seen even the 27mhz radio versions is $500ā€¦

So yeah, anyone else into anything Remote Control? I know nip has a car/truck at least?

Nip btw awesome looking rc cars/boat im jealousā€¦:wink2:

Cheers mate, unfortunately they donā€™t stay in that condition forever. That little MT2 took a real beating last time I drove it. Couple of buggered ball joints, stuffed the exhaust gasket (should of heard how loud it was when it started leaking fumes, haha), scuffed the wheels up pretty nicely (thanks to my mate), popped a shock cap right off the barrel, but at least the body still looks nice because I never put it on the car, lol. Have replacement parts for it sitting on my desk, just need to find the time to fix it now.

The Savage practically looks as good as the day I built it, but itā€™s a bit of a shelf queen. I always end up using the MT2 when I go out for a bash as it is cheaper to replace and older.

Looks awesome mac

Has left the US, waiting sucks :frowning:

How long do you think it will take? Usually around the 2 - 3 week mark for a lot of the small bits and pieces I get from over there.

It cleared customs in Aust friday afternoonā€¦have no idea where it is now though, stupid long weekend :frowning:

Booo-yeah, came in todays mail :smiley: :smiley: pics when i get it home etc.

Haha, nice.

Mini Revo looks awesome. The electric cars just make so much more power these days that it isnā€™t funny. They donā€™t need high revs to make peak torque, itā€™s just always there. That second video you posted sums it up, with a good source of electricity, they can still pop a wheelie whilst travelling at a fair speed. That just isnā€™t possible with Nitro, not to the same extent.

I still love the nitro powered ones, just love the sound/smell of them. They are a lot more to maintain though.

I know what you mean about buying from the US, I was pricing tyres for my savage here in Australia and it was just absurd, the US came out cheaper for practically anything I priced (whilst the dollar is strong).

I have been semi into RC on and off now for a while.

First proper RC toy was a nitro plane, just a trainer/cessna type. Had an OS engines 40LA engine, gave me nothing but trouble. Loved flying it but due to being young (primary school) I couldnā€™t drive myself out to the closest club to have a fly. It is something I may pick back up as a hobby further on down the track. I ended up selling it for my first nitro RC car which was my first and last RTR car.

I bought a Tamiya XBG Focus RS. Was fairly basic, but it was great for a learner, small engine but quick enough to be dangerous, haha. I still have it, I will post a pic when I can be bothered.

After that I wanted to start building kits. I bought a HPI RS4 MT2 which was powered by a .18cu in engine (now weā€™re talking, haha). AWD, oil filled shocks, fully adjustable suspension geometry etc. Easy to drive, easy to tune.

After building one kit, needed to build another. This time I went for a bigger scale, a Savage X SS with the 4.6cc (.28cu in) ā€œbig blockā€. haha. Same deal, fully customisable but just bigger. This thing is a power machine (not to the same extent as a modded electric) wheelies on demand, sounds tough through itā€™s stainless tuned pipe, 2 speed transmission. This is somewhat harder to handle, full throttle puts it on its roof, full brakes will see it do the same thing. It has been nothing short of a dog to tune properly. Getting the fuel mixture correct has been a real headache. I have a new carby sitting here for it as the midrange needle on the existing one is leaking and drawing air/leaking fuel which probably explains my tuning difficulty.

Got into electric choppers for an extremely short amount of time. Canā€™t remember the model other than it being a ā€œsmartechā€. It was only about $100 for the entire thing including the RC gear. Was incredibly hard to fly, never mastered it. This is most likely due to me not having it set up correctly, adjusting angle of the blades etcā€¦ Basically after I had it for a few months, I took it into the backyard to give it a squirt. Gave it a bit too much, got to the height of our 2nd story and came crashing down. Damaged the main rotor which isnā€™t expensive to fix but I have just never gone back to it.

Last addition for now is a Nitro Cen Racing Grey Thunder boat. Canā€™t really say too much about it as Iā€™ve only had it in the water once. Didnā€™t get to hammer it as it is barely run in. Plan to mount a pinhole camera on it though for fun.

Here are a few pics.

Thatā€™s the MT2 near itā€™s finished state.

Built

After I painted the body.

The Savage built, seems Iā€™ve lost the mid build pics.

After spraying the body.

The Grey Thunder. (Appropriate name it would seem)

The three together, you can spot a theme here.

As it is now, I have enough left over Radio gear to drive another kit. I will buy another in the future, possibly just a onroad tourer (1/10th scale).

OMFGā€¦Thats fast

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP-SMeUZ4pU[/ame]

mega skills
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l34fWADu0E[/ame]

HPI are wikid, i had 2 but unfortunately never raced or drove em, couldnt afford it all lol, so they got sold

im am veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy impressedā€¦thats fukin awesome

Yeah it is an expensive hobby, that is why I have never really taken to it 100%. It would drain my wallet quicker than upgrading my PC every 6 months.

I basically like building them and bashing them a bit but for the most part, the real fun part for me is the assembly.

By the time you snap a few half shafts, suspension arms, ruin rims and tyres, twist the chassis etcā€¦ it is almost cheaper to just buy a new one, or have a second kit for spare parts, haha. Iā€™m pretty restrained with mine.

Also had a go at drifting with a mates nitro car. Pretty hard to do well, need to develop a very fine feel for it, even finer than driving one of these twitching things up and down the street. The two trucks I have are claimed to reach speeds of around ~80kmh, it doesnā€™t take much to turn in into a thousand broken parts.

yeah mine were 1/10th scale electrics with a 27double turn (stock class), built from scratch, was quite fun.
It was roughly 560each chassis setup, + motor, batteries, speedy etc. All i had to do was get a shell and controller, the controller was the bit i didnt get round to buying and ended up selling all of it, i was an apprentice with a baby on the way.

Yeah thatā€™s it, one thing to build the kit but then to turn around and have to buy radio gear for it.

My MT2 was around the $400 mark without any radio gear, the savage cost me $650 and it was on sale (again without servos, receivers etcā€¦). I could only afford to put basic radio gear in them, no 2.4GHz wireless or anything like that, just a basic model from a decent brand. Fail safes in each of them (even the boat, haha). Having a speed controller on an electric would get you around that issue.

I was looking at getting a petrol car a long time ago

Looked at the prices and said fuck that. Got a girlfriend instead

(Should gone the RC car)

Haha, I can assure you that PC gaming is far more of a distraction from women (or anything productive for that matter) than RC cars.

mate of mine had a hornet as a kid, they were all the rage. I had a porche from Kmart that went approx 5km per hourā€¦

peice of shit. I have one now for the kids that cost me 100, just battery driven but pretty quick

i just purchased one of these from ebay for myself ā€¦i mean my son

$51