PC is annoying me

I have a problem with my computer during the daytime and sometimes it happens at night. quite often it is with dx11 games and games that support 3d (i think that’s only dx11 anyways). what happens is ill be playing the game then my monitors lose connection and the PC crashes. I’ve tried multiple things like re-installing the games, the nvidia drivers, run dxupdate/fix thingy, turned off my 2nd monitor and unplugged it. still the issue occurs. i took it into a tech shop and they haven’t helped at all. i ran a hardware monitor log during one of the instances and i got nfi how to read it. so ill chuck it up here and hopefully one of you guys can come up with something good that can help me fix it

A side note: During the daytime i dont run my aircon and room temp is (at this time of year) between 28-35°C at nightime i have the aircon on and room temp is between 22-24°C . I have the least amount of problems during night. to play games though i need to take the side off of my case

i used HWiNFO32 as the hardware monitor and it generated the log that i attached

I run 2 monitors 1 23" , 1 24""
run a gtx 580 1.5gb
have an i7 2600k processor
use a silverstone 850w striderpluss psu (can output to 950w)

Edit: I found another post on this issue via google on another site with no fix given but it explains exactly what happens

[LIST]
[]The PC’s two connected monitors simultaneously lose signal and go black (as though the PC had been powered off).
[
]The keyboard’s Numlock, Capslock, and Scroll Lights will become “stuck” in their current positions, as though the PC is hung. (For example, the Numlock light on the keyboard remains lit regardless of me pressing the Numlock key repeatedly.)
[]No keyboard input does anything. (Ctrl+Alt+Del, Ctrl+Shift+Esc, Ctrl+C, etc.)
[
]However – Whatever sound/music the PC was playing continues to play, and the PC’s fans continue running, so the PC hasn’t powered itself off or rebooted itself. The sound usually plays in a loop after a few seconds
[*]Opening up the case, the graphics card is pretty hot to the touch.
[/LIST]

may be a stupid idea, but can you underclock your GPU slightly?

My amd 5870 crashes on bc2 and bf3 if at standard clock. Fuckin shit i know . . .

There should have been a program with your video card. Use that to turn the video card fan up to 100% then monitor temps. It will be a bit louder but sounds like it might be a temp issue.

Sounds like a gpu temp issue as your single gpu running 2 monitors can’t down clock to under 500mhz even at idle unplug your 2nd monitor and keep an eye on Temps if that fixes it plug 2 Nd monitor in and check your temps at idle and load a cheap way that I got around it was to buy a shitty 35 $ gpu and split your lanes up so your 2 Nd monitor is running off the shitty card knocked about 30 degrees off my main card at idle

Very true, many GPUs can’t truly hack dual monitor setups. If they let the GPU clock drop too low, the screens will flicker so as a quick/half-arsed fix the manufacturers set the clock higher when two monitors are plugged into one card. This makes them idle very hot.

Easy way to test is to disconnect a monitor for a while, see if it still plays up. Other than that, I always recommend upgrading every system driver you can. Worst case scenario, start with a clean slate (reformat).

Maybe try running Memtest/HDDRegen on a live CD.

Sounds like above - gpu heat

Msi afterburner and check temps during game/browsing to see what the clocks are doing and the temps. In AB - go to settings>monitoring and tick the “log to file” button too - helps to keep a record if it shits itself ingame etc :slight_smile:

i logged a bit today. with the side of my computer on my gpu temp reaches just over 80°C running just one monitor. 2nd log was without the side on with one monitor and it got to max 75°C
running idle i get about 6-8°C more heat when i have the 2nd monitor on. it sits at 46-48°C on idle atm

room temp is 30°C

80 degrees is all right my 6970 shuts down round 109 lol

idles nothing - its how it goes under load. The heat from 1 monitor isnt awesome - but its not a mega issue. The card should handle that heat.

If you logged through AB - an option you also have is to put the fans under a custom profile ( Setings > Fan> enable user defined blah blah - tick that )

Then just make a nice curve with fans starting at 25-30% and topping out to 100% at around 80-85degrees. Then you adjust for noise after testing.

What card exactly is it ? reference cooler or the 3 fan UD design?

Gigabyte 3 fan UD design

The windforce cards need good airflow as they draw air through the heat sink but dump it internally a heap … so if you have poor case airflow its gonna hurt the card ( much like that design is shocking for dual card setups with 1 slot spacing)

What case you got Hills?

corsair obsidian 650 D

Definitely give MSI afterburner a go, Nvidia are very conservative with their fan speed profiles, setting a more aggressive one that ramps the speed up sooner kept my cards considerably cooler when I was still air cooling them.