Patty's PC Questions

Patriot…2x2gb ddr2 6400LL - 1330 mhz i think.

Yeah will try both sticks, I wouldn’t be altogether surprised if it was a slot issue given that I’ve had other mobo problems.

If indeed a sticks crapped out - hit up Patriot for warranty - their ram is lifetime so id ring support if a sticks up the wazoo.

http://www.patriotmemory.com/support/producttermsp.jsp

If its your board with the issue - you have an ASUS dont you? - They cover 3yr warranty via serial number so cant hurt to give them a tingle and check the serial for warranty or no either if the mobo is the culprit :slight_smile:

Well, both sticks work…so I’m guessing it’s the motherboard. Problem is…it’s definitely out of warranty because it’s just gone more than 3 years old!

So next question, when it inevitably dies in the next 6 months (or when I get to upgrading before it dies in the next 6 months…)

Because I CBF looking myself, how do the new AMD cpu’s compare to their intel equivalents? (Specifically the FX-6100)

Intel : Sandy Bridge for current (2500k/2700k) - ivy bridge if in a while :yes:

Few guys are running 2500k systems ( blade,sctratchy i think? and cab for a few) - they will all vouch for them, and the reviews and benches do too.

Been a while since I’ve looked at high end AMD, but fairly sure Intel still reigns supreme.

Re: SSD’s, is there any point in getting a 60gb one?

EDIT: Also, main reason asking about AMD’s Az, is that they’re obviously cheaper, and i’m trying to figure out if i really need to bother spending extra to get the 2400/2500’s when I’m likely not going to need it.

I’m going to say yes, it’s probably the best upgrade you can do atm to crisp up the feel of your PC whilst performing every day tasks. Just chuck the OS on it and essential programs, everything else can go on a regular HDD. On the downside it is quite a premium to pay for something that isn’t “needed” and some do seem to fall over within 12 months. The last one is more of an inconvenience than anything else as they usually have 3 year warranties. Mine is still going strong though, I’m either lucky or a lot of people received samples from a bad batch.

AMD systems whilst getting destroyed in benchmarks do fine in RL. I think you’ll struggle to pick the difference between an Intel or AMD system in game, the GPU is where it’s at. Not sure how well they overclock (not talking about BS world records either but real, sustainable, 24/7 clocks), but I’d hazard a guess that Intel would be better there too.

Yes amd is still fine for gaming and your needs - and being close to $100 cheaper for a 6 core combo is a good buy.

I still say the sandy bridge is the option i would choose - as it is the stronger system , and will handle ivy bridge cpus so not a dead upgrade path.

The only time i will grab a amd system is second hand - Im still planning to get an am2/am3 board that will handle 1055T etc - get it while its all still with warranty and get it half price - then its a great buy imo :yes:

Basically weighing up between the following combinations - have given myself a budget of $400 inc postage (postage is $19 from either PCCG or Umart):

CPU - Intel Core i5 2400 - $205
Mobo - ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 - $134
Ram - G Skill 8gb -$45
Total: $384

CPU - AMD FX-6100 - $173
Mobo - Gigabyte GA 990FX D3 - $137 (or ASRock Extreme 3 990FX - $150)
Ram - G Skill 8gb - $45
Total: $355 ($368)

CPU - AMD FX-4100 - $127
Mobo - Gigabyte GA 990FX D3 - $137 ($150)
Ram - G Skill 8gb - $45
Total: $312 ($325)

The benchmark scores indicate better performance from the 2400, but I’m still tossing up whether or not I’d really notice it/need it. Price difference is less than I had originally thought, must’ve added up wrong somewhere :S

Thoughts anyone?

With such a small variance in cost, if the 2400 is the quickest system then that’s what I’d be getting.

Intel if your gaming - its better speed at the same cost.

If possible to squeeze $30 extra into the bufget and you have a reasonable cooler that can fit 1155 ( or 1156 ) then get a 2500k over the 2400 :slight_smile:

Nah sticking to the budget, need to then save my pennies for an SSD!

But yeah, given the minimal price difference (i had originally pegged it at around $80-$100, but i think that may have been using the 2500k and a different motherboard :S) I’m leaning towards the Intel system. Been reading a few more reviews, and it seems to outperform even the 6-core AMD quite comfortably.

Oh, and please excuse my ignorance, but what did you mean by sandy bridge not being a dead upgrade path Az? As in current Mobo’s is still going to be compatible with the next wave of Intel CPU’s?

Intel is releasing Ivy Bridge in april-ish which is supposed to use the same 1155 chipset as Sandy Bridge cpus

Hey Patty, you should upgrade already. <3

Only been connected & moved in for 1 day, but after just a few hours of 'net usage, I have a little something to say…

FUCK OFF WIRELESS NEVER EVER AGAIN

Someone please tell me the below is kinda standard for adsl users?

looks like a good connection matey. Welcome back to real internet!!!

BF3 is calling you:yes:

About double what I get, and I’m very pleased with my connection compared to what I’ve had previously, I’d be ecstatic with that.

Wish i had that speed…n1 patty

:sweat: this is good news!

Currently making my brother green with envy, it just so happens he capped himself this week (12gb does that too you, FUCK OFF TELSTRA!). So he was most displeased when I sent him a screenie of me downloading patches at 2mb/s last night :shades: