Patty's PC Questions

hey is this thread public?

Indeed, why’s that?

Nah didn’t work Rav, don’t even have the option to create profiles anymore, and there’s no xml file by that name :stuck_out_tongue:

Sooooooo, bear with it for another couple weeks, then a new card i’d say (which is kinda exciting, but also fricking frustrating)

I’m not sure about the 9.10 drivers, but the 9.9 drivers let you make profiles. I am pretty sure that the 9.9 drivers were of the first to get the new CCC. They are hard to find but I got it going for the parents HTPC because they need a 24Hz refresh rate for blueray and 50Hz for regular TV.

Whether that has anything to do with fan speed I doubt but it would seem backwards for ATI to take the functionality out, which is what made them so much more popular for HTPCs.

LOL, 10 points for observation. Can still create profiles, apparently I didn’t look hard enough :stuck_out_tongue:

Still, don’t seem to be able to find the file needed after creating a profile. Will have a proper look after dinner though :ermm:

maybe unhide the hidden files and you might stumble across something?

if this is the directory

C:\Users[Username]\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE

Then you WILL need to unhide all files otherwise you will not see the AppData folder. You may already know this but I thought I’d mention it just in case.

Nah found it, wasn’t paying much attention, was just looking in the program files. Buuuut, as I suspected, the fan speed is already set at 100 in that file, which is what I’ve got it set at in the control centre. I can’t get it lower than 58 degree core temp, and it’s still hitting 100 in MW2.

Looks like your running out of options unfortunately.

Ordered a XFX 4890 Cored Edition from Umart this morning (was the last one they had in stock, and it would’ve been a while - january - before they had anymore in).

Kinda annoyed that I had to do it, because I was planning on waiting another 6-12 months and seeing what NVIDIA’s new card would be like. Stupid thing forced my hand though, and I didn’t really want to buy something that I would have to end up replacing 12 months down the track anyway (warranty issues aside).

It will be a good card for you. I think XFX has a pretty decent warranty that goes along with it, may be more than 12 months worth.

I think the new Nvidia card is going to cost a bundle just quietly. I dare say it’s not going to have the price to performance ratio deal going on. No doubt they will make it the quickest card on the market though.

Oh yeah I’ve no doubt it won’t be cheap when it eventually comes out, but I still would have considered it to be a genuine option.

mmm, yeah well it would of been most likely a card you could of held onto for a long time. We can only wait and see what it turns out like, nvidia haven’t given us any sneak peaks.

Nice buy patty good cards imo…Just been reading a fairly in-depth article in the new atomic mag on the new nvidia gpu and its gonna be a monster which will come with a monster price…But that didn’t stop me spending $600 on a gfx card and i’m sure heaps of people will buy these new cards when they come out…

Haha, people go nuts when new cards get released. $600 is expensive now but 24 months ago, that was cheap for a graphics card, my 8800 ultra cost nearly 900 simoleons, and the RRP was over 1000 US, lol.

I think I am going to hang it on my wall as a reminder to never spend that much money on a graphics card again.

Bah, seems they ran out of stock, so no card yet :frowning:

Would someone who’s not at work :stuck_out_tongue: be so kind as to find me a few comparisons between the following: 5770’s, 4890’s and 260’s (no overclocked editions)

I’ll post the MW2 performance page here for anyone else who is interested. Take note that I don’t think that CF is working properly in this review. I had to apply a beta driver to get SLI support with my PC. So ignore the dual card setups.

Received XFX GTX 260 this morning, wewt. Not my first choice option in the end, but then my first choice option would have been to not be buying any new cards in the first place.

Nice Patty, you’ll be happy with it. It’s a considerably quicker than a 4850, should be good for you. Not that this card should need it but you can apply the rivatuner profiles to the card to getting it running super cool if you ever get bored.

That was darn quick postage, I’ve never received anything 1 day after it being posted.

That’s because you’re in Tasmania (h)

If I got it posted to home, I probably wouldn’t receive it until Friday, even though home is really only about 10mins further away from Brisbane than Pittsworth. So stupid, Nic lives 2k’s up the road, and if he and I ordered something to be sent to home on the same day, he’d receive it 3/4 days earlier than I would >.<

Haha, it’s a joke.

What happens here that drives me around the bend is that when I order something and choose to get it posted via Australian Air Express, it goes to the Hobart office before being driven up to Launceston. So that is, they fly from VIC, pass over Northern Tasmania (where I live), fly another 200km south and land in Hobart for no reason I can think of other than it being the capital city. Launceston has it’s own AAE office, it just sounds ridiculous to me. It’s like having to drive to Hobart to jump on the Spirit of Tasmania, to go to Victoria.