Overclocking

i did 190x20 … upped the vtt 1 notch to 1.168 , and the vcore 1 notch just to make sure it passed linX as i had limited time … and did a vantage run for a total of an extra 100 or so points … i’ll post the pics tonight … and lpay with the vcore to see what it definitely needs … be interesting to see if it needs less vcore or more…

I’m going to guess that your original 181 x 21 will be a bit leaner on the voltage side of things, having a lower bclock is certainly a bit easier on the motherboard, not to mention if there is any truth behind the even - odd multiplier myth. Clearly has shown a slight increase in performance though, having the RAM, uncore and QPI all running at a slightly quicker frequency. 100 points seems a bit meaningless at this level if you need to run higher voltages across the board, imo anyway.

Done a 19x200 run az? Agree with Nip tho regarding it being better with lower volts. I reckon i’m gonna give 181x21 a crack myself to see if I can lower my volts a tad.

yeah im just doing it to see the variation … tonight ill see how the 190x20 hones up fully

Was bored and wanted too crack 19k…gpu@ 900/1250…:wink2:

Nice score, your single 5870 scores higher than both of my 260s at stock. Thought of 2 x 5870s makes my mouth water, lol.

CPU score is also nice, futuremark weren’t lying when they stated that vantage supports more than 4 threads. I worked this out for myself when I couldn’t understand why my old 3.66GHz OC was getting a better CPU score than my current 4.0GHz. The answer was that I used to use HT at 3.66GHz.

2xhd5870 would be crazy nip, maybe later on when prices drop…Yeah i did notice a big difference in cpu score with Ht on… Wish all games/programs would utilize it.:wink2:

mine with the 4870’s @ 810/1000

Nice score az…your 2nd gpu test scores really well compared to mine very interesting…

(Your cards 1gig version? Maybe extra ram comes into play with 2nd test…)

yeah they kicked in quite well … wasnt expecting that much tbh … and they’re the 512mb cards too :slight_smile:

Sweet…

Damn, pretty sure that’s ~1000 points higher than my score with physx off. Looks like you have convinced me to OC my cards now, even if its just for the bench. My cards are stock clocked at around 576/999 I think. I’ve seen people get as high as 750/1100 fairly easily. I’ll give it a shot tonight when I get home. If it doesn’t take my temps up too much, might keep them over clocked even though there is little need.

its interesting to see how they go when oc … but i wouldnt run em 24/7 overclocked. You need to redo the fan profiles and i dunno bout the nvidia’s but damn the 4870s get noisy. So ill happily run em stock.

Yeah, my rivatuner fan profile will handle the fans but it will possibly always make the cards run at a higher fan speed which would probably get the better of me.

There just isn’t the same gains to be had from having an OCed video card compared to the CPU due to the bottleneck effect that stock CPUs have.

if i was that desperate to run em oc 24/7 id probably have another profile settings … asthey really need a 40/50/60/70/80/100 range… atm mine go 40/50/60/85/100 … and they would hang in the 50-70 a lot i reckon … just too noisy :yucky:

if these carsd dont stand up to the job … ill just buy new card lol

Haha, yeah it would take a while to set it up. It would still sound annoying too with the constant ramping up and down when the GPU is just not quite hot or cold enough to make up it’s mind.

Our cards have plenty of grunt left in them imo. Graphics development has slowed down a bit, harder to make things look more life like as it is already at such a high level.

I’ll definitely be going dual cards again though, whether ATI or Nvidia, love having the grunt. Don’t think I’ll ever go for a multi GPU card though, too many niggly issues I have seen, 5970 drivers are absolute rubbish still, don’t know about the 295s but the 9800 GX2 drivers were trash.

Next cards will probably be water cooled, not for the heat, but because they are the noisiest component in my PC atm.

Thats the beauty of the hd5870 no fan profiles required even when i overclocked, temps stayed at approx 70c while the fan was hardly working bout 30%.:wink2:

Pretty impressive, must have put far more thought into cooling.

For that matter, I can remember seeing my mates 5970 running a benchmark and hardly heating up much, the fan was inaudible. If that’s what all knew cards will be like, I will not see the need to water cool them.

yeah bout 70 degrees they only hit like 30%, if i up that to 40% it goes down to 60 degrees, TBH i find them annoyingly loud even 40% shits me.

Got around to giving the 260s a mild OC, back to stock now. Not sure how stable it was but temps topped at 71’C on furmark after 5 - 10 mins, didn’t crash, no sign of artifacts.

660/1050/1423 (the last clock speed is the shader clock)

quite surprised with the result. Physx is off obviously.