Overclocking

Sounds like a motherboard feature IMO, see if there is something on the Asrock boards that scale down the CPU multi when a certain power draw is reached. Never experienced that behaviour on the ASUS board I used.

I think you are right Az, I’m going to start looking for a second hand CPU. My max temps are around the same, last time I stressed I was just under 60 but that’s with HT off which accounts for near 10’C, so very good temps in your case.

Here you go, sounds like the same problem.

I had to up the short limit from 115 to 180. I had to up the long limit from 95 to 140.

Point out that it is actually a feature, not a problem. Easy fixed though, should be getting high 4s, if not 5GHz soon.

Ah very nice nip. I did see those options in there, but wasn’t gonna touch em til I knew more. Thanks for the legwork :shades:

Pretty cool feature actually, if you are the type that is concerned with power draw (kinda weird for an OC’er) you can set the max wattage the CPU is allowed to draw.

Taking the beast through the full oc. Time to find the bclock/ram/cpu maxes.

Should be able to hit 4.2-4.4 24/7 from dirty testing ive done … gonna take a night or 3 but i’ll do it properly.

Keep us posted, X58 overclocking takes a lot of time to do properly, but it is very rewarding.

Id never gotten around to it with the new cpu and now new ram… so has to be done .

210 bclcok is stable with 1.25 vtt. 215 crashed so upping vtt.

220 @ 1.35 vtt is it.

trying from 221 - 227 with even 1.45 vtt wont boot. The bclock wall has been hit lol.

Now for the ram.

Good effort, been a while since I looked into it, but I remember the wall being around there for most boards. Definitely something you would not be able to achieve without water cooling though, not on the 1366 pin CPUs anyway.

1.35V on the vtt is nice for a 200MHz bclock. What multi are you going to run, max it out? Wonder what sort of vcore you’ll need.

last night i did the ram for what i want.

running at 7-7-7-20 it doesnt got 1mhz past 1600 :frowning:

8-8-8-24 is good for 1746 @ 1.35vtt though (218 bclock)

didnt relax the timings further as you get more performance with the tighter timings over beefy speed/loose timings

not sure what ill run Nip… might play with a few and test. i dare say ill end up running x21 …just see how far it goes :slight_smile:

I wil add that i plan on running 1.35 or less vtt 24/7 so didnt push the rams limits overly … just through the bclock ranges usable really.

Yeah, tighter timings are definitely the better way to go over a higher clock rate with RAM. 218MHz is still a hell of a clock, especially if you can get that working with a x21 multi.

Damn.

ASUS fail for the big clocks :frowning:

They ( namely the r2e and another) have inbuilt voltage protection to protect the vrms. When you near 1.35v it shuts down the turbo multi no matter what.

I cant get 4.3+ to run linx with the x21 multi as it flicks back to x20 under load.

While it wont affect 24/7 performance… benches and top clocks wont be as grand.

most ill be able to yield will be 220x20 - 4.4ghz. While a massive clock in itself, the downer is that it was handling 4.55ghz last night at 70 degrees on top core, then dropped the multi … temps would have been 75 odd if it passed the runs at top speed :frowning: Thats with vcore of 1.3875 too :slight_smile:

Ahwell, still got lots to test and what not yet anyway :slight_smile:

Bit of a bummer, should have at least had a way to disable that feature. 75’C is a cakewalk for that CPU.

Being crook as shit has its bonuses i spose. As i have had sfa sleep and been up since 2am , many many pages and threads have been read. Low and behold the board issue has been fixed. CPU TM Function addition to bios was the anwser i believe ( i never touched it previously as the info in bois on it scared the shit out of me to try it lol.

More testing due!!!

Haha, I actually thought of that but didn’t think it was the cause of your issue. I thought that was related to the overall power draw of the CPU (which would obviously go up with extra voltage whilst running at a higher clock, I didn’t think that one through properly, lol).

As far as I know, all X58 boards have that same feature. When it was announced prior to the X58 roll out, every man and his dog said that these CPUs would be un-overclockable if that setting was enabled (which it always is by default). Goes to show how hard you can push them before it even becomes an issue.

Wrong setting lol. Need that off but they implemented CPU Turbo Power Limit setting for the override :slight_smile: Now its all systems go for max!!

Also will revisit the bclock wall as slow mode for qpi can yield higher numbers apparently :yes:

Ah cool, more settings to confuse you.