Overclocking

Heatsink, the big chunky fucker that sits on your cpu. Its probably not seated, getting proper contact with the cpu to get the heat out properly.

That’s the one, lol.

Heat Sink & Fan

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Its not hard up against the cpu…might wanna fix that :rolleyes2:

Ouch, might want that hard up against the cpu asap.

Also, get some thermal compound, it also helps draw heat away. (Love noctua supplying good shit with their hsf)

No thermal paste on hand to glue it back on tight…and tomorrow is easter sunday:mad2:…so gaming will have to wait for a couple of days :yucky:

as it is I am on the old system as the cpu just about over temped so I shut it down:sweat:

Good idea, don’t want to cook it.

You might even get away with just clicking the pushpins back down for the time being. If it keep temps under 85’C under load, then it is working within the safe zones.

I still recommend getting some new thermal paste and reseating it properly though.

Bit bored so did a quick tweaking to the gtx480s and a 3dmark11 run to see how it fared

GPUs : 850/1700/2000 @ 1.125v

P11392 Not bad with the cpu still at 4ghz … might be a fair bit more room left in the cards too. Good start with a 125mhz core jump over stock ( 150mhz over reference). That gpu clock is able to be a 24/7 if i want, as the voltage increase is widely accepted as well within limits ( I wont be though)

I’ll do a heaven run while im going

99.8 fps average with a score of 2513 :slight_smile:

Nice result, they aren’t slow.

Just zipped it to 3.8 . Pretty easy, temps still good.

BTW im running 19x200, turbo still enabled.

Should i switch to 21 and turn turbo off?

Its reliable atm

I’m struggling to recall this for myself, but if you are running 19 x 200 with turbo enabled and you are ending up with a 3.8GHz clock rate, then turbo must be disabling itself, maybe it only works when you use the highest CPU multi available in the bios. I really can’t remember.

To semi-answer your question, it doesn’t overly matter which way you go about getting your CPU clock up. Having a higher base clock with a lower multiplier or a lower base clock with a higher multi. As long as it’s stable, most would go down the route that allows them to use the least amount of Vcore whilst still remaining stable. Having a 200 base clock is fairly nice though as it will allow your RAM to run at 200 x 8 (assuming you have 1600MHz RAM).

yeah i have 1600mhz ram, ive since found that on 21x it will crash eventually even at 3.6. on 20x200 havent crashed yet. Temps were still only hitting 69 degrees at 3.8,

but, i dont know much bout the voltages so i have been letting it auto. It generally sits at 1.3vcore i think. What effect with high vcore?

BTW anyone having issues with vantage or 3dmark11, both crash on startup and say im missing a file?

just did a run at 20x200 4ghz. Vcore at 1.328, core 1 failed after 2 passes in prime :frowning:

Just realised i cant lock multi in at 21, keeps reverting back to 20. Stable at 20x191 3.82ghz vcore 1.328. Guess i keep dropping vcore as low as possible right?

what mobo you running Buz ? ill try and remember the p55 overclocking and report back tonight. As to multi - 21 only helps to hit 4.4+ clocks. The difference between 20 nd 21 is sfa at 4ghz for voltage difference/heat

p55 UD3 gigabyte. Temps are good, 64degrees.

Why does cpuz show a different vcore to what ive set in bios?

CPUZ shows 1.296. BIOS 1.320

The voltage difference is what is known as Vdrop. It’s normal for all motherboards to show a slight drop of voltage between what is set in the bios and what it actually receives. Under full load and if not using load line calibration (a bios feature that reduces voltage droop), you will notice that the voltage will drop even further, this is known as Vdroop.

yeah i turned vdroop on earlier

This cooler isnt half bad i guess :smiley:

Coolermaster hyper 212

that’s a very good cooler, rave reviews…an older cooler but a beauty

yeah wasnt really sure how good it was before i bought it lol.

But i had to remove my side case fan to fit it in! It almost touches the side cover, its f’n huge. Plus it comes with the bracket to fit a second fan to it.