New pc

You’ll kick yourself for not putting a SSD in, I’m even putting one in the HTPC sooner rather than later.

Not sure what you have planed for the 3 x 1TB HDDs, whether you were thinking of setting up a RAID, but there’s some 3TB drives out now that would be cheaper than buying 3 separate drives.

I really do want an SSD, but if I were to go SSD I’d be getting a 240gb Intel 510 which current sit at $620 (mainly going intel since their suppose to be the most reliable, the storys about the problems with sandforce based drives put me off the vertex 3). With the way games are going currently for size requirements, and the fact my 320g now only has 20g free without even having all the games I want installed, it seems like 240g wouldn’t be enough.

As for the 3 1TB’s instead of 1 3TB, one of the them would be the system drive, the other 2 storage. The only 2tb drives i could find that are cheaper then 2x1tb are the 5400rpm ones, which I have no idea about. if the 5400rpms drives would be ok for storing and playback of music and videos then I’d be happy go one instead.

Chromy its a Z68 not P67.

Sorry, confused the screenshots. I see you revised the second SC.

Annnymays, just get a 120GB!!

PCCG has WD Green drives for $85

$198 bucks, you gotta be insane NOT to buy one

I just bought a 2tb Wd green from 85 bucks and the performance difference compaired to a black(7200rpm) drive is not noticable…Get 1 black wd 1tb(personally 60g ssd) for OS and 2x 2tb hhd for backup happy days…

I got a 60GB SSD, which was faulty, so I exchanged it for 2x WD Greens. I’ll get a bigger&better SSD next year when I buy a 7XXX series GPU.

But when the SSD worked, it was pure awesome!!

Agree with all said here, 5400 rpm drives are not noticeably slower, especially not for media use. I wouldn’t use one for a system drive, but for storage it wouldn’t phase me.

Putting games on a SSD would be nice, but it’s going to be noticeable on every day tasks, like booting up and opening a web browser without having to wait for a second for the HDD to play catch up. I can’t say much for reliability at the moment, my SSD has been fine but I’d be lying if I said that nobody has issues with them, it’s not enough of a deterrent for me though.

i grabbed the max ops vert3 which is system only every program,download,games etc goes on the wd black still have 86g free on the ssd and it fucking flies

Think I have finally settled on the system. The graphic cards says its needs a minimum of a 750w psu, but i think thats mainly to cover shit ones, i think HX650 should be able to handle it.

One thing I would like to know by anyone who has one is if the noctua needs support from the case for its weight, or if the board itself should hold it.

mines just bolted to the mb seems ok

650w easily

A 650 should do it if the 12v rails good (aka decent quality psu).

As to the hsf… the back plate disperses the load. The d14 is heavier than the 12p and handles easily.

best mounting system by a mile the noctuas.

Yeah, you ever tried snapping a motherboard in half? A D12 is not going to phase it.

Can say beyond reasonable doubt that a HX650 will not have trouble with that card. Dare say that my GTX 260s would draw more in SLi, mated with an overclocked i7 920, I hardly drew over 500W when I plugged my PC into a wattmeter. Goes without saying that a quality PSU is a must, you have that covered.

Edit: Actually found the piece of paper I wrote the results on.

Full system load (meaning 100% CPU & GPU utilisation) = 550W

The only difference now is that I took that test when I was using an i7 940 that was clocked to 4.0GHz without Hyper-threading enabled, now I have a 920 at the same clock rate but with HT enabled meaning that I would be drawing a bit more now.

Ordered, should come this week

Ok, new computer built. Seems ok, havnt played much games on it yet, but seemed ok.

However when I started it up today, it seems rather hot, looking at coretemp, the cpu is idleing at 40-45 degrees, and the gpu is idleing at 58 degrees. Also the air coming out of the case is noticably warm.

Does this seem right? I’ve got a tempurature probe installed in the hdd rack at the front of the case, just behind the intake fan and its reading 32 degrees (with the aircon set at 23).

If your ambient temp is 32’C then your CPU and GPU temps are ok, that’s a fairly warm room. The probe behind the intake fan is far more relevant than what ever temperature the aircon is set to.

In my room, it’s currently 20.5’C and my Q6600 in the HTPC is idling between 32 - 38’C, if my ambient temp was ~10’C higher then my core temps would go up by that same amount.

Also, idle temps do not really account for anything, if it stays relatively cool when under 100% load, then that’s all that matters.