New pc

Figure I might as well start planning now for bf3:

The Vertex 2 is only for pricing, the real one would probably have a Vertex 3 120gb. Coming from current pc would be a 320g and 500g, plus optical drives, case and fans. Not sure if I need a bigger psu too, currently have a 650W corsair.

just make sure your case fits that cooler, it stands 158mm high

HAF932, same as your new one. I’d be quite concerned if it didn’t fit.

yeh cool heaps of room bout 10mm between side fan and top of the cooler

nice nice

Another beastly machine incoming. I approve :yes:

Looks good to me!

You’ll have no issues fitting anything in a 932, including multiple radiators. Used to have a U12P mounted in a P182 and that was a substantially smaller/narrower case.

Only thing I would look at is whether it’s worth going for a 580 over the AMD equivalent. I haven’t looked at any benchmarks, but something tells me that the 6950/70 do quite well in comparison whilst being a nice chunk cheaper. Still, 580 is a cheap card relative to the performance.

Edit: Just to confirm, 650W corsair will be fine.

Good to know on the psu.

As for the 580, it’s more personal preference then performance here, I’ve always liked Nvidia’s control panel more then ATI, plus I know everything I use works nicely with Nvidia, unlike ATI who in the past certain programs have been known to not work.

In addition, like this current PC I don’t intend to have to upgrade for 3-5 years, so I’d rather go with the fastest (within reason, the duel GPU cards I have no interest in at twice the price) card available. If ATI come out with something between now and November that’s reasonably better performing and similar price I might consider it.

One thing I’m not sold on yet is getting the SSD. How much of a difference does it really make? I probably will only have W7 and maybe a few games on it, and I don’t usually turn my PC off overnight (though that is partially due to current several minute boot up times, yay no formatting for 3 years…)

Edit: Also, after reading whats happening with woven with duel monitors in the chatbox, defiantly nvidia. One of the main reasons I went with the gigabyte card is it looks to have a quiet heatsink, one of my biggest complaints with my GTX280. Same reason I’m getting the U12P. Low temps = lower fan speed requirement.

ssd’s are fantastic

the 580 is the fastest single card out there.

The scale goes

570/6970
560ti/6950
etc etc

From your last gpu upgrade i reckon your bang on with the card you chose. Yes, a 570/6970 would do the job esily… but tomorrow … who knows … so if you can afford it, go the 580 imo too. The UD version youve selected is good too… a good compromise between sound and performance… the ref coolers for either team are shit for noise imo.

I’ll point out that Nvidia cards have the same behaviour as AMD with dual monitors. It’s not a fault of the card, it’s the norm atm. Nvidia cards will not down clock to their regular idle clock rate with 2 monitors running off the single card otherwise you will get noticeable screen flicker.

As to whether the 580 is a cooler running card than the top tier cards from AMD is another matter. Either way, it seems that newer GPUs and CPUs are designed to cope with extra heat. Definitely recommend running msi afterburner so you can create your own custom, automatic fan profile. Best app on the net for that purpose.

In regards to the SSD. Depends on what you want from your PC. Definitely won’t do anything for in-game performance but after putting one in my PC, I doubt that I’ll ever go without one ever again. When they get cheaper again, I’ll be putting one in the HTPC too. Basically, any application that is installed on it will load far quicker than it would on a HDD. It’s the single biggest upgrade that I’ve ever done to make the PC “feel” fast. For example, running superfetch on my PC makes no difference now that I have the SSD, apps can’t load any quicker. In fact I’ve now disabled superfetch to reduce writes to the SSD.

I think the biggest problem with amd current cards(Hd6950/70) is the cooler its mainly why i went for a gtx570 (Phantom) and paid extra for a cooler that i can’t here running and gets to a max temp of 70c with 2 monitors …worth every cent imo…

+1 ssd must have in any new system…

new plan, ordering this week:

I got rid of the SSD as I cant justify the cost as they are now for the size id want, also the reliablity issues the current ones have. Ill probably move to one next year along with ivy bridge.

looks sweet dagon - only thing id change is the ram for 2x4gb sticks if 8gb is essential.

8gb isnt really essential, but rams cheap enough now why not. Also not sure if that ram would fit under the cooler, would this be fine instead

I only choose current one since it was the first 8gb kit, I have no idea what to look for when buying ram other then corsair is or at least was the best brand to go for.

Same for the hard drives really, I remember reading those samsungs were the best, but seagate have sata3 ones now that are slightly cheaper:

Not sure which to go :confused:

yeah that ram will be fine… and fit easy.

Its only if your into pushing the system hard that high speed ram is needed.

noice

This system needs more SSD’s. Otherwise, good. Why P67?

I would sacrifice spindle HDD and CPU cooler for an SSD.

man my OCZ SSD is rock solid

noctua / coolermaster…both tops…I have had a great experience with the V6.

granted I dont overclock but it rarely breaks a sweat. I also think it looks pretty shit hot andf the led light running down the center can be changed at the clcik of a button…red blue green.

If you have a case where your cpu cooler is a feature or visible…consider this

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5