Friends com[uter is been stupid

Built a friend a computer while ago. Everything was sweet, installed windows 7 etc. Then it started playing up, not booting etc. installed windows 7 on the ssd, but now its not getting detected in the bios. the 2 1tb samsungs are but the ssd isn’t. I’ve swapped cables and sata ports around, but no the only things are the hdds and the optical, which goes under the name atapi or something weird. My guess is the ssd has died. It was a 120gb vertex 2. Guess he might have to RMA it.

well, its dead, tried yet another port with only the ssd in…nothing. So RMA it is

yep, happened to me once before as well, all of a sudden not detected in bios

Join the club mine and another system i’ve builthave died…but i’ll live with the pain cause the speed is soooo good…:tongue2:

Yeah, dead SSD. My mates OCZ Vertex 2 died the other day, only had it for about 3 months. I’ve been one of the lucky ones so far, but I try to avoid heavy read/writes to the drive.

i think read/write to much, not games or programs just alot of pics and uni stuff

Nipper, what do you mean by ‘heavy read/writes to the drive’? like video editing?.. because I have the same SSD & Id be spewing if mine died

well i’ve had mine a year and held back nothing even reinstalled windows a couple times and she’s still going strong so i’m pretty impressed… mines a corsair however might make the difference :tongue2:

Yeah I’d possibly leave video editing for use on a regular HDD. SSDs are awesome at random reads compared to a HDD. They are also good at sequential reads but HDDs are fairly decent in this regard too. It is the latter type of read/writes that you would most likely experience whilst editing video. If you are re-encoding files, then your HDD is definitely not going to slow anything down, that is dependent on your CPU or GPU depending on the software.

Still, these SSDs have warranties (most are over 12 months if I’m not mistaken) so just use the thing and if it dies, it gets changed over for free.

i just had my ssd die aswell bloody thing had to wait for a replacement to come

what ssd was it

ocz vertex 2 120gb

i was talking to the guy at my pc shop and they have had a lot of ocz vertex 2 dieing

lucky i got the 3 lol not that the ssd dieing would affect much only runs vanilla windows