Elder Scrolls 5

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRifj-2EEKs[/ame]

drool

might be a good game, compared to ES4

Oblivion was awesome its on my buy list…:wink2:

hell yes… been waiting for this so long… it’s going to be amazing… X a bigillion.:huh:

Save 774 - Dragon - Hill of Suicides, Level 40, Playing Time 214.05.24.ess <-savefile name

Yeah I played the original a fair bit…

So does this carry on from Oblivion or is it a separate game? If it carries on I might need to push through the first. Loved the game, but I really enjoyed spent hour upon hour modding it from an awesome game to ridiculously amazing spectacle. It’s possible I spent more time hunting for mods than playing :P.

great :smiley:

Oblivion was a great game but The elder scrolls 3 morrowind was even better. The bloodmoon expansion rocked. 11.11.11 is a long way away might go to sleep untill then

If Bethesda come through with all the things they’re promising, this will be moving back into the must have category.

Ausgamers did one as well, though it was tested on 360 they said it looked nice hears hoping theres little in the way of console portage

Quote…
In an interview with CVG, Bethesda’s Craig Lafferty said that Skyrim has been developed with consoles as the lead target.

The lead producer on Skyrim said: “We use the consoles as our lead SKU… So we develop towards the consoles and then porting to PC is usually not too bad actually .”

The above comments are likely to cause PC gamers a bit of grief, and the next thing on Craig Lafferty’s mind was unlikely to appease them.

“We wanted to take it and make it really accessible,” the producer said.“… We still have the complexity behind the scenes, but we wanted to make it so that you could pick up the controller and play and it was easy; the average person could get into it…We knew we wanted to make the user interface a little bit more open and available … get away from the stats and things like that.”

Hopefully this doesn’t mean we will be getting a dumbed down version of the RPG, but rather a slicker and more streamlined game. Simplifying RPG’s usually equates to commercial success, but also causes a split in your core audience, as we saw with Dragon Age 2. Bethesda will have to make sure they don’t alienate its established fan base in its quest to please the “average person”.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim releases on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on November 11.
Hopefully its still good Oblivion was excellent…time will tell:sweat:

hmmmm

i’m iffy now, though if its hundreds of hours of gameplay and mod support people will be happy

Yeh I keep bouncing between not being able to wait for it, and being massively pessimistic.
“porting to PC is usually not too bad actually”
“really accessible”

I’ve yet seen either of these end well.

edit: actually not entirely true, Batman AA was glorious :P. I have major beef with accessibility tho.

Batman AA was fairly well done, was the type of game you’d play with a controller anyway.

IMO, it’s usually not the feel (control wise) of the game that suffers too much, it’s when you see sloppy things like interfaces that don’t support mouse input, poor optimisation, no multi GPU support. The black ops main menu had no mouse pointer at all, you could only use the mouse wheel or up/down keys to move afairc. Crysis 2 also suffered in a similar way. You could tell that the suit modes were dumbed down to be manageable on a controller.

I don’t care if a game is a port any more, as long as it plays well.

I guess that’s my reservations, you’ve just explained it better. Everyone seems to be able to port to PC no drama, it’s the fact that very few actually think about the differences between the PC and consoles and account for it, which is what you’re on about. In turn I guess we can strike Manbats off the list, since as you said, you play it with a controller anyway.

Controls can also be borked, but not to the same extent as interfaces and performance. Dead Space 1 movement is designed entirely for the sluggish nature of controllers. It didn’t stand out too badly tho since the environments and nature of the game allowed that to fit in rather well. But the mouse control still felt borked to me.

Oblivion had some obvious console port issues, but thanks to the allowance of mods they were quickly fixed. Most obvious was the inventory screen. Designed for crappy low res screens the inventory only shows 6 items at a time. Modders came to the rescue and redesigned a GUI that worked far better for 1920x1200 resolutions.

Which leads me to think Skyrim is not a day 1 buy for me, but a 6-12 month after buy. As long as the mod tools are as powerful as they were for Oblivion (nothing they’ve said yet makes me believe otherwise) then I have hope that whatever Bethesda fail at in the port, some dedicated modders might fix.

Crap!!! The issue for me is that dev’s obviously just don’t think, a game like oblivion even though it may not have sold the best on pc(i don’t know the stats) that is where a game lives or dies… how many console players games are decked out with mods, and is it console players that mod the game… No it aint, I have a mate that has 25gb of mods for oblivion and he probably uses 80% of them. Crap again!!!

its all fine when porting action games or third person shooters etc, but skyrim is meant to be an rpg. ‘streamlined’ and ‘accessible’ in this context means rpg becomes glorified action game with stats. worst case scenario, the graphics are decent so i can just wonder around the world and pretend its an rpg

I agree that RPGs only work on PCs.

intro to the game, may contain spoilers

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TlyIsGI0WE[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3UCCJYU59A[/ame]