Cars, Bikes & More Cars

Mate, don’t dwell on how you look on it, it still looks 10,000 times better than anybody on a scooter. I don’t even think the bike looks that small, I have neighbours with huge bikes with massive fairings (think BMW touring) and I think they look way too big. You’ve got yourself an awesome bike.

Love the finger point, bwahaha.

Are those jeans the special bike riding ones with padding built into them? If so, nobody would ever be able to pick the difference.

Sounds great btw, but you didn’t need me to tell you that, haha.

Try to resist doing this… I’d go mad with power knowing that I had that sort of performance at hand.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEvOr5dd70E[/ame]

Missed the bit where you said you wouldn’t be wearing headphones now, good on you. If you can tell me of any band that can produce a better sound than a nice sounding engine, I’d tell you that you’re dreaming. The day I drown out my V8 with music is the day that my soul dies, same goes for my last two Alfa’s. Engines make music that musicians could only dream of, haha. I’m saying that after I have gained a lot of knowledge of how sound amplification works and what separates a good amp from an average one.

I’m thinking I might pull the fuel computer out of the bike. Essentially it’s just making the bike pump more fuel through. It runs with more power but that does seem to effect the fuel efficiency the most (the guy said it’ll do about 7L/100km, whereas stock is around 5.8/100). Will need to call the bloke after work to see if he got it tuned to run with the computer or if it’s just been stuck in there.

The jeans are riding jeans, but not armoured. They’re made from kevlar, so while it would protect me from breaking bones or what not, they are rated to sliding down the road at 200kph without tearing. As you said, you can’t tell the difference, so it’s the middle road between safety and being able to wear em all day without lookin like a douche.

You’re complaining about 7L/100? Try averaging closer to 20L/100! It’s closer to 16.5L if I’m driving very softly but it only takes a few stints of moderate acceleration and it goes to shit. Difference in Tassie is that we are probably not travelling the same distances on highways each day compared to that of VIC/NSW. Although you guys also put up with more stop start traffic in the CBD.

I think with most types of engine mods, people generally get the engine tuned to suit so as to get the real benefit from it, I’m guessing he didn’t just chuck it in there, could be completely wrong though. Also I don’t know about you, but I’ve never been able to get close to the manufacturers claims of fuel efficiency.

Heheh, it’s all relative! If it’s been tuned to work with it, I guess it could stay in there. But it is a 5 minute job to insert it into the loop, so it could simply be running richer, and while I dunno much bout engines overall, I wouldn’t think running rich all the time would be the best thing for it. The guy only used it on the weekends, but i’ll be stacking on the k’s fast so its worth checking out.

What do they teach you engineers these days?!?!

haha, all jokes aside and just because I find all this interesting I’ll say my piece, but don’t take my words as gospel.

Definitely worth getting it checked out, just for piece of mind.

I’ve only got VERY limited experience with engines myself but I would very much doubt that it would simply make the fuel mixture richer without any tuning needed from the engine.

From the problems we initially had after fitting a DHLA 40 carby to the Fiat 500 (read: really oversized for the engine) was that it fouled the sparkplugs very easily, it also leaves sooty deposits on the pistons. In this day and age with electronic engine management and the like (assuming your bike is EFI) no engine should be running richer than it has to be. They can adjust their mixture and ignition advance on the fly to maximise power and economy.

Another problem with a rich mixture from what I experienced before jetting the carby right was that a rich engine will generally bog down when you try to accelerate (choking the engine with more fuel), you will notice a substantial amount of smoke coming from the exhaust under heavy throttle also, it will smell just like petrol.

From the sounds of this computer you have on your bike, it sounds like an aftermarket ECU chip, or an ECU flash tune that has been applied to the standard computer (these are very common). I don’t know 100% what these do, but I assume it has to do with the timing, using a more aggressive advance curve to get more grunt. The only downside is that it usually results in needing to run on a higher octane fuel to reduce pinging. Simply pumping more fuel into an engine is not going to have a positive outcome on performance alone.

In saying all that, it is far better for your engine for it to be running rich, rather than lean which causes real damage.

Forgot to mention that I think an overly rich fuel mixture can glaze your cylinder bores which is not something you’d want to do. I think it is for this reason that engines shouldn’t be left to idle for extended periods of time.

Could have it all wrong though.

Damn, that was incredible.

(I didn’t watch it when it was posted due to net problems)

thats correct nip, the extra fuel washes the oil off the bore causing them to glaze.

Id imagine what is fitted to johnnys bike is also what you mentioned, it would be a chip to advance timing, some also have a switch on handlebar to change between advance curves.

Had a look at it, turns out its a cheap ebay job (NITRO X Fuel Commander). Couldn’t get onto the guy last night, but I’ll think i’ll just pull it out anyhow.

Really, that sounds dodgy.

I’d rip it out too, lol.

taken off ebay…

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]The device can activate 15 different ECU maps[/FONT][/COLOR]

It is an ECU tuner, make sure that it is just a simple matter of pulling it out before doing so.

drooooooooooooooooooooooool

http://www.dailytech.com/Its+Official+Porsche+918+Spyder+Hybrid+Sports+Car+Gets+Green+Light+/article19192.htm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! PLEASE GOD, ANYTHING BUT A HYBRID!!!

They are weaning us off petrol! The more car makers that accept this technology the closer we get to the inevitable, haha. Fair enough if they use Hybrid power in a city car but… WHO CARES ABOUT FUEL EFFICENCY IN A PORSCHE, ARGH!

Serious note.

The car is certainly drool worthy in the looks department, certainly better than Porsche’s last effort (The Panamera, be prepared to gouge you own eyes out).

I’m also not dead against Hybrids, but I am dead against the future one can predict from them. Soon internal combustion will be a thing of the past, it will be the saddest day of my life.

The sound of the ultimate sports car in the future:
Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

hahaha, spot on.

that is sexy car!

2 strokes are the way of the future :stuck_out_tongue: DI boxer 2 strokes.

A 2 stroke boxer, that sounds cool.

more hill climb stuff on mt stuart here in townsville.

mate doing it in his R33, first time using toyo R888s
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Do6sM0Sx8[/ame]

Another doing it in his Datsun 1600 (Sr20 with turbo) i went in this thing for a passenger run and man its quick up there.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQvIotKha6c[/ame]

And how to do the whole mountain really really quick, though u need a rally grade car to do this.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxu5rj8ZACI&feature=related[/ame]

How’s he like the toyos? It sounds like the tyres aren’t squealing nearly as much as his old tyres. The car wasn’t stepping out nearly as much either, must be a lot more grip.

Damn, that R35 has some go. Has no trouble breaking traction and its AWD. Awesome car. The women giving the pace notes was making it hard for him, lol.

that was her frist time according to the description

as for the tyres he likes em, i don’t know what his fastest time ended up been, he got in the 55s again.

no stick shift on gtr, lazy bums.

datto seemed to go alright, for some reason the r33 vid seemed to go really slow, like he had shifted into 3rd but the pace felt like it was doin 60, maybe it was the camera :confused: