1366 Buildup

You really need to reformat, you’ll spend more time getting the new hardware to work properly with the old install than what it would just take to install it all over again. It won’t ask you for verification but getting rid of old drivers/settings takes a bit of mucking around. I tried to change a CPU on my parents first home built pc without reformatting it and it was BSOD after BSOD until I reformatted it.

A good 920 will hit 4.2GHz with anything but insane voltages, you might surprise yourself if you are lucky enough to pick a cherry.

Good choice on the air cooler, top unit.

Ohhhhhh, whats the difference between high and low profile RAM? they both have heatsinks… :S

low profile ram has short heatsinks… high profile ram has tall heatsinks that stick up … ~20-25mm higher :wink:

Nooo I mean difference performance wise? Which is better for the RAM? I’m guessing High profile?

no difference apart from the heatsink size (apart from timings etc)

performance wise … probably nothing … but low profile ram would probably prefer better air flow than the tall ram would. Most cases come with ample airflow as it is.

My low profile stuff runs fine and its covered by the hsf.

The performance comes for the rated speed and the timings … ie 1333/1600/1866/2000/2200 ram … and the price goes up just liek the rating

1600 is the mainstream that most use …

Okay :smiley:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWlVcVcYT3g[/ame]

Looks like the D14 fits with ripjaws fitted. Still might stick with the current plan though

Also thinking of ditching my raptor and getting 2 250gb drives for a raid setup (For my OS drive)

Thoughts?

EDIT: What ill be purchasing

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Motherboard
In stock $419.00 $419.00
G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ (3x2GB) DDR3
In stock $219.00 $219.00
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
In stock $119.00 $119.00

yeah x58 boards have the ram a little wider out from the cpu … you’ll prolly just lift the p12 fan for clearance perhaps ( cant see the vid @ work).

ill only be using every 2nd slot anyway (Only using 6gb)

Get a ssd iinsom (64g) for your OS well worth it…:wink2:

How much is it an upgrade over my raptor though?

probably meant in performance compared to his raptor … not price :wink:

Mac … you had a raptor didnt ya ?

id say the ssd blows it away

Yeah had a 74g raptor ssd totally blows it away… Hdtune results after 2-3 months use windows runs so fast/crisp…Loads windows approx 30-35sec:wink2:

+1

SSD absolutely shit all over any form of HDD whether it is a VelociRaptor or not.

Rest of the gear looks good, you’ll have one quick PC.

Nice going with the UD7, no point not to considering it is only a bee’s dick dearer than the UD5.

arnt the first generation falcon ssd’s quicker then II?

Going off the specs, you would be right. LOL! Very little in it though.

The Falcon 2 would have to be better overall, probably has other features to make the read/write performance more reliable than the first lot of SSD that hit the market. Actually just read that the sustained write speed is 30MB/s quicker, that’s a considerable improvement.

I can’t understand why they would of bothered making a second revision otherwise.

Whats all this then?

mine gimme u bastard